Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector shipment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got all excited when I got the email today saying the wall connector will arrive soon. Then I looked at the ordered thread and I see some have had theirs for months. Is there any significance to the WC's impending arrival? Do I mount it now or is it more sensible to wait until I know the car is built?

Some of us (perhaps including some tesla staff) were simply too excited to get them in. Plus if you are in a strata building I would recommend getting started on the formalities now as it could take some time to get by-laws in place.

That aside, I would look to get it in soon especially if you want to use one of the recommended electricians (who may be busy)..

Get it installed. Mine was the very first in Australia to be installed. I have 3 phase, since this will be swapped out free of charge when the 3 phase unit becomes available next year. It really is not necessary to use an approved electrician. Someone you usually deal with can easily install it using the manual. Heck, I could have done it myself, except that testing for grid stability was going to be done by Tesla and so a pro install was necessary.
Mitchell will happily guide you as to your power requirements and consequent switch board mods if necessary.

Some of us (perhaps including some tesla staff) were simply too excited to get them in. Plus if you are in a strata building I would recommend getting started on the formalities now as it could take some time to get by-laws in place.

I'm in a strata building, but I plan to move some time in 2015 so I figured it's probably a waste of time (and money) to install this now. (Unless it's cheap to buy another wall charger when the time comes?)

I'm in a strata building, but I plan to move some time in 2015 so I figured it's probably a waste of time (and money) to install this now. (Unless it's cheap to buy another wall charger when the time comes?)

You can take the wall charger with you.

- - - Updated - - -

I got all excited when I got the email today saying the wall connector will arrive soon. Then I looked at the ordered thread and I see some have had theirs for months. Is there any significance to the WC's impending arrival? Do I mount it now or is it more sensible to wait until I know the car is built?

Tesla wanted to do some tests of the electrical system in Australia so they installed a bunch around the place a couple of months back. I'm guessing that your shipment is good news.

Relative to the car, everything is cheap :p. My install cost around $1200 with a pretty long cable run. You'd be able to take the hwpc with you...

Guess so. However my car space is in a pretty bad position (no walls near the space) so it still might be too much trouble for little benefit. I ordered quite late so my car won't be delivered till next year anyway, I'll wait and see :)

I would recommend installing it sooner rather than later as you may run into unforeseen complications. Don't forget that the wall unit is a significant power draw, and in some older properties that means some power load management is required. Mitchell will be able to help with general questions of course, but it's recommended (by Tesla also) that you get someone out to have a look at your specific situation.

I would recommend installing it sooner rather than later as you may run into unforeseen complications. Don't forget that the wall unit is a significant power draw, and in some older properties that means some power load management is required. Mitchell will be able to help with general questions of course, but it's recommended (by Tesla also) that you get someone out to have a look at your specific situation.

the wall unit is bugger all power draw it's only a intelligent switch !! it's the car that draws the power. load management has more to do with you also having a 25kW 3phase A/C than the age of the house. you would expect new wires to be run from distribution point.

the wall unit is bugger all power draw it's only a intelligent switch !! it's the car that draws the power. load management has more to do with you also having a 25kW 3phase A/C than the age of the house. you would expect new wires to be run from distribution point.

Of course - sorry it's the car that draws the power. I thought that would be an obvious inference but Gabz is 100% correct.

Tesla pushed really hard to get people to install their wall-connectors soon after the Australian orders started as part of their validation program. I thought at the time that they were pushing so the chargers were here in time for the cars because they really wanted to get them built and shipped to us as soon as possible.

I think that validation actually meant that they were wanting to get the wall connectors installed so they could get information about the Australian electrical supply back to the engineers in the US to ensure that there were no issues they hadn't anticipated. Tesla was quite happy to get people to fork out a grand or two of their own money for a wall-connector that they wouldn't need for months essentially for their own purposes. This is the one thing that is annoying me the most about the process they have put us through, as I would rather have saved myself the time and money of getting it installed until closer to delivery. It's not a huge deal; anyone who can afford a Tesla probably isn't going to miss the cost of installation. It does seem a bit rude on their part though, to not have been more upfront about what they were doing and why they wanted the wall-connectors installed so early.

Also might point out that having the charger with no car is a little embarrassing. I get asked by neighbours every day now. It reflects poorly on tesla as I struggle to answer the question of when it will arrive and why we have no idea. Having said that, a bunch are going for test drives :)

Tesla pushed really hard to get people to install their wall-connectors soon after the Australian orders started as part of their validation program. I thought at the time that they were pushing so the chargers were here in time for the cars because they really wanted to get them built and shipped to us as soon as possible.
That was not my understanding, I knew we were installing early and I was happy to spend the money to help out with validation.
In fact they specifically told me they wanted to include me as my wall connector is in a shared apartment garage which is unusual.
I think both the Australian Tesla Team and I thought I would have the car about September or October but it looks like that was not to be, but neither of us knew that at the time.