Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector to MS: 34 mph or 44 mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an older wall connector, bought April 2019. It charges my Model S Plaid at 44 miles per charging hour. If I go look at the new Gen3 wall connector there is a chart that shows 34mph as the max charge rate for the MS (and 44 for the M3). Is this a misprint or did Tesla really lower the charge rate with the MS and the newer wall connectors? If you have a refreshed MS and a Gen3 connector, please let me know what you're getting.

Also, on the wall connector order page there is no mention of what version wall connector you are ordering. I can ASSUME that it's the latest version (Gen3) but I would rather know for sure before I go to all the trouble.

Calculating charging in miles per hour is misleading. If the S consumes more energy per mile, it's mph charging would be lower for the same provided power (in kW). That's what I think is happening here, the charger provides the same power to both cars (48A at 240V, or 11.5kW) but the cars have a different consumption value per mile.

Reactions: ucmndd
Your Plaid has a 48 amp, 11.5kw onboard charger. Any wall connector, old or new, provided it’s provisioned on at least a 60 amp circuit, will charge your car at the same exact max power of 48 amps, 11.5kw.

Miles per hour varies by model, because different models have different efficiencies and go different distances on the same amount of energy. There is substantial differentiation across the Model S line - the “34 miles per hour” you see on the wall connector chart is just an estimate averaged across 10 years of Model S production. Newer cars are more efficient.

Tesla only sells the Gen3 now, so you can safely assume that’s what you’re ordering.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have an older wall connector, bought April 2019. It charges my Model S Plaid at 44 miles per charging hour. If I go look at the new Gen3 wall connector there is a chart that shows 34mph as the max charge rate for the MS (and 44 for the M3). Is this a misprint or did Tesla really lower the charge rate with the MS and the newer wall connectors? If you have a refreshed MS and a Gen3 connector, please let me know what you're getting.

Also, on the wall connector order page there is no mention of what version wall connector you are ordering. I can ASSUME that it's the latest version (Gen3) but I would rather know for sure before I go to all the trouble.
Gen 3 wall connector, 60 amp breaker, AWG#6 wire inside EMT conduit 40 foot conduit run to panel. Looks like 45mph charge rate to me.

Attachments

• Tesla Charge Rate.png
    Tesla Charge Rate.png
    225.3 KB · Views: 159