Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector tripping circuit breaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everybody, hope somebody can figure this out. 2017 model S with Tesla wall connector gen 3 and 60 amp breaker. This has worked fine charging at 48 amps for the past 2 years but now it is tripping the breaker after about 1/2 hour of charging. First suspect: breaker gone bad. Replaced it, didn't help. Tried dropping down to 40 amps, didn't help ;-( Any more ideas?

Turn the breaker off and leave it off. I'm oversimplifying what I'm about to say since we're talking to a broad audience on this forum so this is the simplified version. If you don't know what you're doing or anything I'm saying is a foreign language to you get a professional involved before you turn it back on.

Always start with checking your connections/installation before replacing breakers/hardware. If your connections are loose or no longer making good contact due to various reasons this could create a potentially dangerous situation that your breaker is trying to protect you from. Most of the melting/fire situations I've seen resulted from poorly installed electrical rather than faulty equipment which is often the way it gets labeled.

Simply replacing the breaker w/o checking those thoroughly first is not the proper way trouble shoot as 1) it costs money when properly landing your connections is free but also and more importantly 2) doesn't address a potentially dangerous situation first before swapping a breaker and repeating the potentially dangerous state of the system while testing.

Upvote 0
Turn the breaker off and leave it off. I'm oversimplifying what I'm about to say since we're talking to a broad audience on this forum so this is the simplified version. If you don't know what you're doing or anything I'm saying is a foreign language to you get a professional involved before you turn it back on.

Always start with checking your connections/installation before replacing breakers/hardware. If your connections are loose or no longer making good contact due to various reasons this could create a potentially dangerous situation that your breaker is trying to protect you from. Most of the melting/fire situations I've seen resulted from poorly installed electrical rather than faulty equipment which is often the way it gets labeled.

Simply replacing the breaker w/o checking those thoroughly first is not the proper way trouble shoot as 1) it costs money when properly landing your connections is free but also and more importantly 2) doesn't address a potentially dangerous situation first before swapping a breaker and repeating the potentially dangerous state of the system while testing.
I had a similar situation. The electrician installed a Leviton 240V outlet in the wall. After about a year, with help from forums, it was determined that the outlet installed was slowly degrading since it was not appropriate for the use despite saying it was good for Amp/Volt rating. I replaced with a more expensive outlet rated for campers and auto's. No problems since. I should note that my Tesla stated 'check wiring', so it knew the outlet was heated and breaking apart. I hope this helps.

Steve

Upvote 0
Hi everybody, hope somebody can figure this out. 2017 model S with Tesla wall connector gen 3 and 60 amp breaker. This has worked fine charging at 48 amps for the past 2 years but now it is tripping the breaker after about 1/2 hour of charging. First suspect: breaker gone bad. Replaced it, didn't help. Tried dropping down to 40 amps, didn't help ;-( Any more ideas?
Call an electrician that has experience with EV charging. You certainly don't want to have a fire...

Upvote 0
Well I mean it doesn't hurt to look at the connections in to the wall connector maybe they're obviously loose or incorrectly installed with Romex like a lot of other installs on the forum. It's not rocket science and you can find plenty of correct information on the internet to get you up to speed on wiring for 48amps continuous. Hopefully Steve doesn't have an outlet @Smh2210 if he has a 60amp breaker and wall connector that would be the problem right there.

Upvote 0
maybe they're obviously loose or incorrectly installed with Romex like a lot of other installs on the forum.
Don't make incorrect overgeneralizing accusations like that. For a given circuit rating, it very much can be done properly, safely, and code compliant-ly with either method. Romex or individual wires in conduit are both acceptable methods, as long as they are using the proper sized gauge. Your use of the phrase "incorrectly installed with Romex" is not appropriate.

Reactions: Smh2210
Upvote 0
Don't make incorrect overgeneralizing accusations like that. For a given circuit rating, it very much can be done properly, safely, and code compliant-ly with either method. Romex or individual wires in conduit are both acceptable methods, as long as they are using the proper sized gauge. Your use of the phrase "incorrectly installed with Romex" is not appropriate.
Yes you are correct 6awg romex which is what you see when it's incorrect. Wasn't really giving specifics more so telling him it's easy to research himself. It's not that difficult. We have zero info on the setup other than a 60 amp breaker.
You have to admit though there's a ton of installs on here that are using #6 with 60 amp breakers and people don't know just like me when they have a licensed electrician do their wiring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocky_H and Smh2210
Upvote 0