Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector vs corded travel connector.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone elaborate on the difference of using the corded wall connector with 15-40 plug with advanced charging ($540) vs the Gen 3 wall connector($500)?
Why not just install a 15-40 plug and use the improved removable charger instead of hard wire installing the Wi-Fi wall connector?
Thoughts?

Btw, if you have a socket available right now, you can use the mobile connector with the appropriate adapter before you decide to get the wall connector. Some folks just use the mobile connector, and depending on your electrical supply the maximum 48A may not be available due to breaker size requirements...

You set it up via wireless on your phone during installation. I don’t think it’ll work before that.
The gen3 wall connector works once the power is up. There is no need to set up the WiFi to make it work. You may want to connect to it anyways though since the default is a 60A circuit. If your breaker or wires don't support 60 Amps you better connect to the internal hotspot to reprogram the TWC. Still, it is NOT required that the TWC has an internet connection.

The Wall Connector can charge at 48A; the Corded Mobile Connector is limited to 40A.
Only the gen 1 can charge at 40a. The current mobile connector is only 32a max. There are three big differences between the two:

- wall charger has a max of 48a and the mobile connector has a max of 32a, 33% less.
- wall charger is affixed to your house and the mobile connector is well, mobile, but if you want to carry with you has to be stored and in order every time you want to do that (only long trips)
- wall charger must be purchased separately for $500 and the mobile connector comes with the car though an appropriate pigtail connector needs to be purchased for $35.

Beyond that other considerations is the cost of installation and if you will eventually have multiple Teslas to charge.

Only the gen 1 can charge at 40a. The current mobile connector is only 32a max. There are three big differences between the two:

- wall charger has a max of 48a and the mobile connector has a max of 32a, 33% less.
- wall charger is affixed to your house and the mobile connector is well, mobile, but if you want to carry with you has to be stored and in order every time you want to do that (only long trips)
- wall charger must be purchased separately for $500 and the mobile connector comes with the car though an appropriate pigtail connector needs to be purchased for $35.

Beyond that other considerations is the cost of installation and if you will eventually have multiple Teslas to charge.

Note that I was referring to the Corded Mobile Connector, not the Universal Mobile Connector that comes with the car. The Corded Mobile Connector (Corded Mobile Connector) is essentially a Gen1 with a hardwired 14-50.

Considering it costs a bit more than the Wall Connector, the market is pretty small, but for someone that already has a 14-50 outlet on a 50A breaker, it can be a cheaper overall solution than a Wall Connector since there are no further installation costs.

2 other factors when making this decision:

1) Does your local power company offer any incentives? One reason I got the Wall Connector is my utility offered a $500 rebate for a hard-wired EV charger, but this would not apply to purchasing any kind of mobile connector, at least for my specific power company.

2) I have to charge my Tesla outside in the front of my house. A hard-wired WC is much more difficult to steal than a mobile connector plugged into an outlet.

Can anyone elaborate on the difference of using the corded wall connector with 15-40 plug with advanced charging ($540) vs the Gen 3 wall connector($500)?
Why not just install a 15-40 plug and use the improved removable charger instead of hard wire installing the Wi-Fi wall connector?
Thoughts?

I was going to do that, buy the faster mobile charger and put in a 14-50 plug and leave the faster mobile at home and have the one that came with the car in the car. However the new fast mobile charger is more expensive and I didn't see the point of paying more money.

There's also the safety difference between the two installations (hard-wired Wall connector <more safe IMHO> or NEMA 14-50 for the Mobile connector <less safe IMHO>).

I've done a few of each and have helped friends with them over the years. The most frequent failure I've seen over time is the $10 Big box store NEMA 14-50 receptacle when used with the Mobile connector at full charging power (melting, browning, burning). Plugging/unplugging frequently, loose internal connections perhaps? There are higher quality receptacles available from Hubbell and others, but not many people seem to use those.

For the safety reason alone on these high-powered charging connections, I use a hard-wired Wall Connector to charge my car...It's worked well for me so far...

OP is NOT asking about MOBILE Connector. They asked about the WALL CONNECTOR with NEMA 14-50 PLUG attached vs The "STANDARD" wall connector.
That probably should have been a clarifying question, as this was confusing from the start. Yes, he used the word "wall", but the wall connector with the 14-50 plug has been discontinued for a couple of years now, so it is not a product that anyone could be considering buying. So I doubt that is what he is referring to, since he gave a specific price listing. The $540 price mentioned matches the Corded Mobile Connector, so I think most people assumed the word "wall" was the typo.

Really, until you just mentioned it, I hadn't even noticed it said "wall".

Reactions: jjrandorin