TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wall Connector vs Mobile charger

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Dr Doom, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

Hi guys:

going to be installing a 50amp outlet in my garage for charging my incoming model x 100D. What's the benefit of having a wall connector? Would I be able to install it later on if I am not happy with the mobile charger that comes with the model x?Thanks for help.

2. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

At that rate not much additional value. You can always install it later but your big limit will be your power.

• Like x 1
  3. Drewflux

Drewflux Member

If I were in your position, I would wire for 2 circuits. 1 100amp breaker circuit for 80amp charging (wall charger) and a 50amp circuit for back up. Assuming you have the room in your panel for 2 additional circuits

• Like x 1
  4. Pretty

Pretty Member

I have bought a wall connector of Topfit for Tesla Model S before in ebay,feel very good and convenient.:);)

• Like x 1
  5. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

The 50 amp can charge at 25 miles per hour? I drive around 30 miles round trip. I dont know if I need to with that much charging.

6. Nick S

Nick S Flash - MX

Tesla Wall connectors can be daisy-chained together. So if you plan to purchase additional Tesla cars, and want to charge them together, the wall connector may be useful option. Especially if the installation charge for running cable between your Fuse box to the garage is going to be high. I ran #3 wire from my fuse box to a HPWC with a 100 amp breaker. I had sufficient amps available. Obviously HPWC charges at 72 amps vs 48 amps, which is nice to have but not essential for most. Good luck. I just got my MX over the weekend and love the wall charger option.

• Like x 1
  7. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

I am looking online and on ebay found a HPWC for around 530 dollars. looking to see if I can get it a lower price. If I install a 50 amp outlet, I can still use the HPWC at that 50amps? the current electric breaker can only go up to 50amps.

8. Joelc

Joelc Member

A new HPWC from Tesla is $500: Wall Connector with 8.5 cable
    Yes, you can install a HPWC on a 50A circuit (40A max charging output)

• Like x 1
  9. ig_epower

ig_epower Member

Here was my logic as to why I bought the HPWC despite the UMC being included in my car:

1) It allows me to keep the UMC in my car for road trips and emergencies. In the end, I can always charge somewhere albeit VERY SLOWLY at 110. Honestly, the adapters for the L2 chargers would be sufficient but at least I have a cable on me all the time.
    2) If my HPWC breaks for whatever reason, I have an immediate home - charging option until I can get that HPWC repaired. Tesla is pretty slow when it comes to spare parts of anything I heard.
    3) While I could take the UMC in the car every day (rather than leave it behind if I didn't have an HPWC), the plugging/unplugging in of the UMC to my Nema plug would eventually wear it out. These drier plugs were not designed to be plugged/unplugged every day.

• Like x 2
  10. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

great points. I think I am going to go with the HPWC and keep UMC in my frunk or trunk. It just makes sense to have a backup. If the HPWC is charging at 40amps- what kind of miles per hour should I expect on a model x? thanks

11. ig_epower

ig_epower Member

I'm getting 44 kph or 27 mph on my P85D. Your results may vary.

12. muleferg

muleferg Active Member

27 mph here also, 14-50 $9.00 Lowe's Tell the installer it's for a welder. If you tell him it's for a Tesla the price increases.

IMG_1124[1].jpg IMG_1127[1].jpg

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  13. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

that's an awesome charger! did the hook come from Lowe's. Do you have a link that I could look at? Thanks!

14. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

That's the same setup I use in my garage (minus the cool sign). The UMC stays permanently plugged in, and that hook is the cable organizer from the Tesla store, which I ordered when I got my car.
    Tesla — Cable Organizer

15. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

+1
    I wired my HPWC to a short #6 AWG wire and a NEMA 14-50 plug, and run it at 40 amps.
    This lets me keep the UMC in the car, and not have to pull out a 14-50 plug every day. If the HPWC goes on the blink, I can unplug it and use the UMC.
    There are posts in the MS forum of UMC failures when used for daily charging. Not many, but I didn't want to take any chances.

16. MX1028

MX1028 Member

I installed the 60amp circuit breaker for the Tesla Wall Charger. I get 34miles/hour. The 60amps is the biggest you can install at home for max charging. Anything above the 60amps only helps if you have High Amp charger option installed.
    I believe at 50amp with mobile connector you may only get 30 miles/hour.

You'll have to take into consideration the extra cost of buying the Wall connector. If you are going to i would opt for the 24foot cable.

17. Dr Doom

Dr Doom Member

I just bought
    I just bought a wall connector on ebay for 490 dollars with 24 foot cable. I think if I install a 50 amp outlet, the max I can run the wall connector will be 40 amps? for model x that would be like 20-25 miles per hour of charging?

18. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

This is essentially what I did. See pic. However, I wired my HPWC using a standard 6' range cord from Home Depot. Therefore, if the HPWC takes a dump I can just unplug it and use my mobile connector.

Also remember that you can only daisy chain the newer HPWCs. Older ones (like mine) don't have this option.

I get 30mph charging at 40amps on my Model S85.

IMG_2761.JPG

• Like x 1
  19. Yinn

Yinn Member

I had a HPWC installed first and justified it by saying it had a higher rate of charge and provided future proofing in case I bought a 2nd one.

After a couple of weeks, my garage door broke and I rushed out to install a 14-50 plug. It took another 3 weeks before I had my door fixed, and we just kept using the 14-50, and I regret having purchased and installed the HPWC.

A little while later, we bought our 2nd Tesla. We used the existing HPWC and the 14-50....and promptly exceeded the load rating and tripped the breaker. A 2nd HPWC later w/ load sharing, and problem solved.

In short. 1 Tesla, just use a 14-50. 2 Tesla, get the HPWC. The charge rate difference is minimal unless you have the high amp charge upgrade.

20. Solarman004

Solarman004 Member

40 A and 240 V gives me 27 miles per hour on my 75D.