Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector vs Mobile charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Welllllll, I know a person in that "no one does it" comment. :) She got so used to not having to put it in the car the she left on a trip for a wedding and about 1/2 hour down the road, she forgot she needed it and went back home in San Diego to get it. She then installed a wall charger for convenience so she would never forget the cord again. :eek: Agree with your post except for the no one does it part.
No one does that referred to unplugging and taking it with you every time you use the car. Having a HPWC and keeping the UMC in the car doesn't count. Lots of people do that. I'm talking about unplugging and putting the UMC in the car each time you drive. I stand by my assertion that no one does that. Or should I say 99.9% of people don't do that.

No one does that referred to unplugging and taking it with you every time you use the car. Having a HPWC and keeping the UMC in the car doesn't count. Lots of people do that. I'm talking about unplugging and putting the UMC in the car each time you drive. I stand by my assertion that no one does that. Or should I say 99.9% of people don't do that.

yup, agree. yea, maybe 99.9999999999 %:rolleyes:

she left on a trip for a wedding and about 1/2 hour down the road, she forgot she needed it and went back home in San Diego to get it
Probably still didn't actually "need" it though. Was she actually planning to charge from an outlet on this trip, or were there Superchargers and/or J1772 stations available where she was going? That's the other point we are trying to get at.

Probably still didn't actually "need" it though. Was she actually planning to charge from an outlet on this trip, or were there Superchargers and/or J1772 stations available where she was going? That's the other point we are trying to get at.

I don't know the details, but she said she was going to San Francisco for a friend's wedding. I think that is at least 500 miles in each direction. She told me that as much as I forget things, I better get the wall charger so I can leave the other cable in the car. I regularly go out on trips. I think she was used to just handing the charger cord on the wall in her garage and forgot it when she went on a trip. Sounds simple enough.

This is essentially what I did. See pic. However, I wired my HPWC using a standard 6' range cord from Home Depot. Therefore, if the HPWC takes a dump I can just unplug it and use my mobile connector.

Also remember that you can only daisy chain the newer HPWCs. Older ones (like mine) don't have this option.

I get 30mph charging at 40amps on my Model S85.

View attachment 216073
This is an excellent solution, thank you for posting.

This is essentially what I did. See pic. However, I wired my HPWC using a standard 6' range cord from Home Depot. Therefore, if the HPWC takes a dump I can just unplug it and use my mobile connector.

So Tesla is releasing a unit like what you did OEM... I think I like this idea better that if something happens to the wall connector you can still use your mobile charger.

I'm a bit on the fence to get the 240 mobile charger vs the wall connector for the $200 savings... I'm not sure I need the full charge rate of the HPWC..I have the LR so can take advantage of the full charge speeds

So Tesla is releasing a unit like what you did OEM... I think I like this idea better that if something happens to the wall connector you can still use your mobile charger.

I'm a bit on the fence to get the 240 mobile charger vs the wall connector for the $200 savings... I'm not sure I need the full charge rate of the HPWC..I have the LR so can take advantage of the full charge speeds

I do not believe I have ever heard any complaints about cars charging too fast... The WC is a MUCH beefier piece of equipment and is permanently installed, even if it is plugged rather than hard wired.

Remember, if you get the hard wired wall connector, you can put it on a 60a breaker and get 48a charging.

The wired wall charger will charge at 40a using a 14-50 on a 50a breaker.

The Gen2 will charge at 32A on a 14-50.

It may or may not be important. I have a hard wired WC but put it on a 50a breaker. I normally charge at 32a (just because) and it works fine. I went with the hard wired WC because I may add a second WC and would like to use the power sharing feature. My utility plan requires me to keep EV charging under 40a for best possible rate.

It may or may not be important. I have a hard wired WC but put it on a 50a breaker. I normally charge at 32a (just because) and it works fine. I went with the hard wired WC because I may add a second WC and would like to use the power sharing feature. My utility plan requires me to keep EV charging under 40a for best possible rate.

That is kind of strange to me. How would they know?

That is kind of strange to me. How would they know?
I have an EV specific meter. Under 40a (actual) at all times, one price. Over 40a, higher price. I'm not sure what would happen if it jumped over for a short period. In any case, I signed up for the cheaper plan and it is wired for 50a.

edit: it is also time of use plan that the meter monitors.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrMannilow
Remember, if you get the hard wired wall connector, you can put it on a 60a breaker and get 48a charging.

The wired wall charger will charge at 40a using a 14-50 on a 50a breaker.

The Gen2 will charge at 32A on a 14-50.

That's where I'm not finding the data I need. Will the WC with the 14-50 have a different output than the HPWC? Why if it different? The 14-50 isn't rated above 50a?

Do you have ballpark mi/hr numbers 48A vs 40A vs 32A? I drive no more than 100 miles a day so I'm not really sure it makes much difference to me. Also no plans for a second EV and no energy rate limitation I'm in NY so even though we have hydro our rates are extremely high lol

I do not believe I have ever heard any complaints about cars charging too fast... The WC is a MUCH beefier piece of equipment and is permanently installed, even if it is plugged rather than hard wired.
It just isn't much for me to worry about. I usually work from home 5 days a week so sometimes I drive less than 10 miles a day total. I've been using 110 for the past month and that keeps up with my usage... But I'd like to have 220 just because

That's where I'm not finding the data I need. Will the WC with the 14-50 have a different output than the HPWC? Why if it different? The 14-50 isn't rated above 50a?

Do you have ballpark mi/hr numbers 48A vs 40A vs 32A? I drive no more than 100 miles a day so I'm not really sure it makes much difference to me. Also no plans for a second EV and no energy rate limitation I'm in NY so even though we have hydro our rates are extremely high lol

I think you have to use a 50amp breaker with NEMA 14-50. Not an electrician but it is probably not a good idea to use a 60amp breaker. So with 50 amp breaker, the max you should charge at would be at 40 amp. For Model 3 LR, the charging rate are
32A - 30mph, 40A - 37mph, 48A - 44mph

I drive 130 to 150 miles per day and I only charge from 10pm to 4am using 32A Gen 2 UMC. It always fully charged back the miles I use every night.

I think you have to use a 50amp breaker with NEMA 14-50. Not an electrician but it is probably not a good idea to use a 60amp breaker.
It is certainly beyond "probably not a good idea". It is a hard rule in electrical code that the breaker must never be higher rated than the outlet rating for these 240V circuits. There is a slightly different thing for the convenience outlets of 120V in a house that are spread around a room, where you can have a 20A circuit, but you're allowed to interchangeably use a mixture of 5-15 or 5-20 outlets on that.

I think you have to use a 50amp breaker with NEMA 14-50. Not an electrician but it is probably not a good idea to use a 60amp breaker. So with 50 amp breaker, the max you should charge at would be at 40 amp. For Model 3 LR, the charging rate are
32A - 30mph, 40A - 37mph, 48A - 44mph

I drive 130 to 150 miles per day and I only charge from 10pm to 4am using 32A Gen 2 UMC. It always fully charged back the miles I use every night.

Thank you for such a detailed reply. even 30mph would do me plenty, so a 14-50 would be fine, even the mobile charger would be fine. I haven't unplugged it from the outlet since I got the car a month ago. I am not sure why people get so hung up on the wear and tear of the 14-50 outlet, I couldn't tell you the last time I took a trip where I would have needed to take the charger and had been able to find an outlet to charge anyway...

Though I guess in theory I would prefer to have the fastest charging possible as the work to get 240 out to my garage will be extensive enough that the few hundred dollars difference won't really change anything. I do like how clean the HPWC is though!!

Reactions: brkaus
@MrMannilow You got it! Yes, if you're paying to have an outlet installed, I would have wire pulled that would support 60a breaker and an eventual HPWC. Even if you put a 14-50 on it initially. Unless there is some other reason that drives up the cost (like undersized service/panel).

Correct that for many people, it's easy to survive on the included UMC. Just leave it plugged in all the time and take for long trips to relatives.

@MrMannilow You got it! Yes, if you're paying to have an outlet installed, I would have wire pulled that would support 60a breaker and an eventual HPWC. Even if you put a 14-50 on it initially. Unless there is some other reason that drives up the cost (like undersized service/panel).

Correct that for many people, it's easy to survive on the included UMC. Just leave it plugged in all the time and take for long trips to relatives.
I have to bust out the concrete in my driveway to get underground and out to the garage then repour anyway so I'm going to run it for higher than 60a down the road and maybe run a sub panel in there while I'm going the distance. Thanks for the help!

Reactions: brkaus
The wall charger with the 14-50P is permanently configured to tell the car it can have 40 amps (80% of the 50 amp breaker that feeds the 14-50R receptacle.) The HPWC has a little rotary switch in it that is set to the value you want it to tell the car it can have. It must be set to 80% of the installed breaker rating. You could put a 14-50P on a piece of SJOOW and wire the HPWC to that and you could set the switch to the 72 Amp position. The HPWC would then tell your car that it could draw 72 A and if it has the 3 module charger it will do that - briefly as the 50 Amp breaker behind the 14-50R will trip. But if you set the HPWC switch to 40 A as you should do when wiring it to a circuit with a 50A breaker) then it tell the car it can have 40A and it will be the same as the new WC with the 14-50.

At 40 amps I get 20 - 23 mph. 32 A should give 16 - 18