Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector vs. NEMA 14-50 connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long does it take to charge MY with the GEN3 wall connector vs. NEMA 14-50 connector? I’m debating whether to install the wall connector or NEMA 14-50 connector. I want to hear recommendations from you guys,

I have a M3. A couple months ago I had a 14-50 outlet installed, and it charges at about 30 miles per hour. I think the max rate you can get with a wall connector is 44 miles per hour. I also have a basic J1772 charger (we own 2 plug-in cars) with a Tesla adapter, and it charges at 22 miles per hour. I saved a little money installing the 14-50, and I feel like it is future proof because if in a few years from now I buy an EV that is not a Tesla it is easy to find chargers that will just plug in to the 14-50.

Reactions: beezy and tstolze
It depends whether you have the long range or the SR+, but the difference is only 16% faster assuming that you have the max amperage installed. When you charge overnight it does not really matter how long it takes beyond a certain point

The reasoning for choosing the wall connector are not primarily related to speed:
- Looks nice
- Mounts on the wall
- Weather resistant enclosure
- Allows you to keep your mobile connector in the car
- Only $240 more than a second mobile connector and 14-50 plug
- Load sharing capabilities via firmware update

If you are not installing outdoors, what it comes down to is whether you want to save money and have practically the same experience, or do you pay extra for the nicer experience. What that means to me is "do you own your house and have no plans to sell it" and "do you have the money (in your budget)". If so, go for the nicer option.

Like the above user posted, when you do the math if you were to install a 14-50 and then buy a 2nd mobile connector to make sure you always have one in the vehicle, the cost difference is negligible. I went with the Gen 3 wall connector and it was worth it basically from my first hour of ownership. Picked up the vehicle, drove back 60 miles and the significant other already wanted to take a road trip back to see family for Father's Day weekend. Had 2 hours to charge up and the extra juice per hour was worth it, since it meant I could make a round trip without having to supercharge at some point along the route.

Reactions: user212_nr
and then buy a 2nd mobile connector to make sure you always have one in the vehicle,
Don't do that. There is no reason to always need to have a charging cord in the car for a vehicle that has over 200 miles of range. That charging cord is only for plugging into outlets. All kinds of public charging stations don't even use that, and when could you really get out of range of all kinds of public charging while driving around town if you are not intentionally traveling out of town on a trip?

So that's not a good reason when I see people assume they always have to buy an extra of something. That's not really true.

So you can choose to just use the mobile charge cable you have and leave it hanging on your garage wall. I've been going that way for over 6 years, and many other owners do too. Don't need to buy anything extra.

But, if you do want to choose to buy something extra, then I would agree, that buying an extra duplicate mobile cable doesn't make much sense. The wall connector has a couple of advantages and is about the same price. So if you do want to buy an extra of something, get the wall connector.

Don't do that. There is no reason to always need to have a charging cord in the car for a vehicle that has over 200 miles of range. That charging cord is only for plugging into outlets. All kinds of public charging stations don't even use that, and when could you really get out of range of all kinds of public charging while driving around town if you are not intentionally traveling out of town on a trip?
You have to understand, some of us having different lifestyles where we're on the road often. I could be on a trip in Philadelphia and then the next thing you know, I'm in upstate PA or any location that lacks a good Supercharger network. What if my mobile charger is in the garage and not in the vehicle?

$500 is a drop in the bucket for many of us. I'd rather not ever have to worry or think about whether I have a correct cables and adapters in my vehicle. For me, that $500 is worth it. For others, it may not. It's still something people should think about based upon their work and personal lifestyle.

You are reinforcing my point.
You have to understand, some of us having different lifestyles where we're on the road often.
Yes, I get that. Some people might want it for certain circumstances, but I see way too many people think it's all people all the time, which is a myth.
I could be on a trip in Philadelphia and then the next thing you know, I'm in upstate PA or any location
No you can't, because teleportation doesn't exist. We live in a physics based world, where to travel to these places takes hours of driving on purpose. You have to know where you are going to decide how you are going to get there.

that lacks a good Supercharger network
This reinforces my point even further. The 4-5 mph charging rate from plugging into an outlet you can find in a building is no substitute for Superchargers or real faster charging methods. Of course you should always keep the J1772 adapter in the car, because whatever city you are in will probably have charging stations you can use that are still way faster than plugging into an outlet.

But sure, if your car usage is basically always traveling and out of town, then yeah, that is traveling, and you're one of those rare use cases that might have a good reason for it. Sorry if I came too strongly at you. I just don't like to see this kind of thing spread around as advice to everyone, thinking all people need to spend an extra $500 for something they will never use.

So that's not a good reason when I see people assume they always have to buy an extra of something. That's not really true.

So you can choose to just use the mobile charge cable you have and leave it hanging on your garage wall. I've been going that way for over 6 years, and many other owners do too. Don't need to buy anything extra.

But, if you do want to choose to buy something extra, then I would agree, that buying an extra duplicate mobile cable doesn't make much sense. The wall connector has a couple of advantages and is about the same price. So if you do want to buy an extra of something, get the wall connector.
Thanks for your perspective. If I leave my mobile charger at home, do you recommend any certain adapters to keep in the car in the event a supercharger isn’t available on the road?

Thanks for your perspective. If I leave my mobile charger at home, do you recommend any certain adapters to keep in the car in the event a supercharger isn’t available on the road?
I have used the J1772 adapter quite a lot.
Yeah, this one is really clear. The J1772 adapter is for public stations, so that wouldn't make any sense to have that at home. You would always want to keep that in the car.
I just got back from a 3,000 mile trip, and I did go ahead and bring my charging cable just in case some opportunity for charging came up since I was going to be visiting some friends and family. I did charge from a regular outdoor wall outlet on their front porch at one of the places, but I certainly could have done without it. It was just handy since I was going to be spending the night there.

Like others above. I always travel with the J1772 adaptor. I’ve used it frequently when away from home overnight. Search for J1772 stations on PlugShare. I plan hotel stays based on charging (Tesla or J1772) and I always make sure to thank them in the comment card and additional letter.

I’ve never used the UMC on the road except when visiting family.

I do plan on taking the UMC with me next week when camping, but that’s the only time I’ve done it.

It depends whether you have the long range or the SR+, but the difference is only 16% faster assuming that you have the max amperage installed. When you charge overnight it does not really matter how long it takes beyond a certain point

The reasoning for choosing the wall connector are not primarily related to speed:
- Looks nice
- Mounts on the wall
- Weather resistant enclosure
- Allows you to keep your mobile connector in the car
- Only $240 more than a second mobile connector and 14-50 plug
- Load sharing capabilities via firmware update

If you are not installing outdoors, what it comes down to is whether you want to save money and have practically the same experience, or do you pay extra for the nicer experience. What that means to me is "do you own your house and have no plans to sell it" and "do you have the money (in your budget)". If so, go for the nicer option.
I thought UMC was only good for 32amps but the current wall connector 48 amps.
I thought the car limits were currently 32 or 48 so I am struggling to understand where 16% comes from.

IMO a backup charging solution is prudent, maybe that is a neighbor's charger, a public one you can spend hours at, a supercharger not far out of your way.
For me the supercharger 25minutes away is well outside my normal travels, and in winter with the massive increased consumption I see in my climate and having to worry about kids schedules and all it is a no-go. Local nature center has wall connectors that my car gets 72amps,/200volts from and I have spent a little time there and thrown a few bucks I the walk trail donation box, but again hard to spend hours there as a backup. My car is 80amp capable and my UMC 1 handle is exhibiting wear, it gets warmer than it should for a given amperage even after cleaning so I sprung for the HCWC I don't often run it at peak amperage but a few times I have needed a quick turnaround and was glad I had the option. Really isn't that much money in the grand scheme and if you bought a Tesla especially a new one you are already needlessly spending money on a want vs a need.

If you want to be fiscally responsible you don't buy any Tesla, you buy a used Malibu or something that took a huge depreciation hit and despite the delusions of most here are cheap to own and maintain.

I thought UMC was only good for 32amps but the current wall connector 48 amps.
I thought the car limits were currently 32 or 48 so I am struggling to understand where 16% comes from.

It was based off the 50/60 amp breaker sizes, also wrongly dividing by the bigger number (10/60). So it is actually 50% faster than the UMC.

Technically he asked about the 14-50 outlet, but we know that he is probably asking about the UMC.

It was based off the 50/60 amp breaker sizes, also wrongly dividing by the bigger number (10/60). So it is actually 50% faster than the UMC.

Technically he asked about the 14-50 outlet, but we know that he is probably asking about the UMC.
I agree it's 51% faster charging with the Tesla Wall Charger vs. the NEMA 14-50:

% diff = (Wall charger rate - Nema rate) / Nema rate
= (44-29) / 29
= 15/29
= 51%

I put a 14-50 in my garage and bought a universal 32 amp level 2 charger that plugs into it. I did if for four reasons. 1) it has a 25 foot cord so I can charge in my garage backed in or pulled in forward. 2) if my wife gets a non-Tesla EV we can use it no problem. 3)I have no need to charge faster than 30 miles an hour. I also got an extra 1772 adapter from a friend who had two. 4)I can take it with me when we move.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I put a 14-50 in my garage and bought a universal 32 amp level 2 charger that plugs into it. I did if for four reasons. 1) it has a 25 foot cord so I can charge in my garage backed in or pulled in forward. 2) if my wife gets a non-Tesla EV we can use it no problem. 3)I have no need to charge faster than 30 miles an hour. I also got an extra 1772 adapter from a friend who had two. 4)I can take it with me when we move.

What charger did you end up with?