Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector will not connect to Internet

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After scanning the QR code for my Tesla Wall Connector and selecting connect to the Internet I get the message "checking the quality of your Internet connection", then it asks if I want to "always connect " which I select, then it gives me the message "connected without Internet". After I go through this process I lose Internet connection on my phone which I have to do a network reset to reestablish it. I've also tried manually connecting the Wall Connector by attempting to add it to the network, but I always get the same result, "connected without Internet ".Both of these methods are prefaced with pushing the button on the chargers handle for at least 5 seconds to initiate it's WiFi signal. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

After scanning the QR code for my Tesla Wall Connector and selecting connect to the Internet I get the message "checking the quality of your Internet connection", then it asks if I want to "always connect " which I select, then it gives me the message "connected without Internet". After I go through this process I lose Internet connection on my phone which I have to do a network reset to reestablish it. I've also tried manually connecting the Wall Connector by attempting to add it to the network, but I always get the same result, "connected without Internet ".Both of these methods are prefaced with pushing the button on the chargers handle for at least 5 seconds to initiate it's WiFi signal. Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

You need to enable airplane mode on your phone, then enable wifi with the qr code, and then browse to http://192.168.92.1 on your phone(see page 22 of the manual for a convenient QR code for that). This should get you to the HPWC configuration webpage.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Upvote 0
IF you are using an iPhone try turning off Private Relay if you have it toggled on.

From Setting>your name>iCloud>Private Relay (Beta)>Toggle this off until you get the set up on your wall connector done.

I have had to do this a few items I put on my network, such as my MyQ garage door opener.

• Helpful
Upvote 0

I just talked with Tesla and they said that the phone internet disconnect is normal when the phone connects to the wall connector it switches off the internet to make the WiFi connection. But you can still connect to Tesla's IP address 192.168.92.1 without typing in the http:// preface to get the current status of your wall connector like the voltage, amperage, and whether it's active or not. Tesla did verify that the wall connector is active on their end, so I guess I'm good to go as far as being able to get periodic firmware updates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
I got my Gen3 WC installed , took several trials and helps from current owners in this forum to get it connected to home Wifi

Once in a while , my Android-based phone jumps from home Wifi network to TeslaWallConnector network. So I turn off the "Auto reconnect" of Tesla network

(1) is that the ONLY solution?
(2) Do I have to set "Auto reconnect" of Tesla network on all the time? what does it do

Bear with me. I am in the learning curves
Thanks guys/girls

Upvote 0
I got my Gen3 WC installed , took several trials and helps from current owners in this forum to get it connected to home Wifi

Once in a while , my Android-based phone jumps from home Wifi network to TeslaWallConnector network. So I turn off the "Auto reconnect" of Tesla network

(1) is that the ONLY solution?
(2) Do I have to set "Auto reconnect" of Tesla network on all the time? what does it do

Bear with me. I am in the learning curves
Thanks guys/girls

You dont need "auto reconnect" to the tesla wall connector network on, on your phone. That setting (auto reconnect) is a convenience one on a phone, to automatically reconnect to known networks as you move about to various locations. The intention for that setting is for it to auto reconnect to networks you want it to, to provide internet connectivity over wifi rather than cellular.

Since the tesla wall connector is not providing internet for your phone, it doesnt need to have autoreconnect on, and in fact having that on can cause some quirky behavior like the phone jumping on that network, if it loses your home wifi for a second.

TL ; DR - Turn off auto reconnect for the tesla wall connector network on your phone, no reason to have that on.

• Love
Upvote 0
You dont need "auto reconnect" to the tesla wall connector network on, on your phone. That setting (auto reconnect) is a convenience one on a phone, to automatically reconnect to known networks as you move about to various locations. The intention for that setting is for it to auto reconnect to networks you want it to, to provide internet connectivity over wifi rather than cellular.

Since the tesla wall connector is not providing internet for your phone, it doesnt need to have autoreconnect on, and in fact having that on can cause some quirky behavior like the phone jumping on that network, if it loses your home wifi for a second.

TL ; DR - Turn off auto reconnect for the tesla wall connector network on your phone, no reason to have that on.
Got it, that's what I thought and I turned it off before I asked you guys to confirm
Thanks

Upvote 0
just swapped out my nema for the wall charger and cannot connect to it from using eith codes on the install sheet. unable to join wall connecter...what the hec? one says unable to join and the other just cycles
Along with the tips above (airplane mode) it takes a while waiting for connection sometimes 5 minutes or so. Once connected you can make the adjustments for personal settings on the charger. If issue continues contact charger support.

Upvote 0
When you go through the setup process and access the charger via the web address one of the items will be firmware and there you can check for updates. Once setup it is supposed to self update.
Worth a try but personally I have never found this to work. If the wall connector is connected to the internet it will eventually download the latest version. It you can’t wait the manual process seems best.

Upvote 0