Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector Wiring for 75+ ft run

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The point where I want to install my wall connector is at least 75 ft away from panel and has to run outside the home along the walls. I am thinking 80-85. I got the 4/3 wire THHN/THWN-2. Ground is #8. Will that wire support 48 amps given the long run? Can I use 60Amp Breaker or Would it be 50Amp breaker?
The cable is not color coded but numbered for conductors 1/2/3. How does it work?
Also I just got the wall connector. 1457768-02-G. Output is 200-240V~48a. And has the SSID. Is that Gen 3 wall connector?

Thank you for help

Honestly, that’s a lot of really basic procedural questions I wouldn’t expect/want to hear from someone intending to DIY their own electrical work.

My advice? Reach out to your AHJ (whoever issues your permits) and ask to talk to the inspector. They will tell you if they would accept your plan and help you with some basic electrical advice.

RE: conductors 1,2,3. You only need two conductors and the ground for the wall connector. The third you will cap off with a wire nut, as you do not use it with the wall connector.

Upvote 0
4/3 wire THHN/THWN-2.

If that's in conduit, then THHN/THWN makes sense, but 4/3 doesn't. If that's not in conduit(i.e. NMB), then 4/3 makes sense but THHN/THWN does not.

If its in conduit, 6 gauge would be fine for 85 feet. If its NMB wire, then its technically not allowed to carry 48 amps continuously. Since you have 4 gauge, you are all set.

Voltage Drop Calculator | Southwire is what I used. Note that you are only actually moving 48 amps, so that's the Current field value you should use.

A 60 amp breaker, presuming that's in conduit, is fine.

Are you describing Teck 90 or some other wire-preinstalled-in-conduit solution?

As far as conductors 1/2/3, you can cap off 3 at both ends, and use 1 and 2 for your L1 and L2 connections(order doesn't matter)

I agree with the earlier poster that your questions give me pause.

Upvote 0
Honestly, that’s a lot of really basic procedural questions I wouldn’t expect/want to hear from someone intending to DIY their own electrical work.

My advice? Reach out to your AHJ (whoever issues your permits) and ask to talk to the inspector. They will tell you if they would accept your plan and help you with some basic electrical advice.
This and This.

Don't underestimate your local inspector as a resource. Their job is to make sure your work is safe, not to "catch" you doing something wrong. Every inspector I've ever known has gone out of their way to help clarify what you need when asked. 👍

And there's no shame in handing the job to a certified electrician if you are over your head. Really, zero. It's safety-critical, nobody will ever fault you for getting help here.

Upvote 0
Thank you L,S,T. Your advice is appreciated. Just talked to the inspector and he said #6 is fine. But I should also look at the wire manufacturer if they allow it. And I am not doing it myself. I plan to take help from someone to do the work. But I have to have my own understanding before I commit to an electrcian. In fact I am currently working with an HVAC (Mini Split) installation. He says he will also run this wire.

Upvote 0
The point where I want to install my wall connector is at least 75 ft away from panel and has to run outside the home along the walls. I am thinking 80-85. I got the 4/3 wire THHN/THWN-2. Ground is #8. Will that wire support 48 amps given the long run? Can I use 60Amp Breaker or Would it be 50Amp breaker?
The cable is not color coded but numbered for conductors 1/2/3. How does it work?
Also I just got the wall connector. 1457768-02-G. Output is 200-240V~48a. And has the SSID. Is that Gen 3 wall connector?

Thank you for help
Always match your breaker with the cable. The breaker protects the cable from overheating (not you BTW). The 'match' also includes the material. THHN/THWN-2 is copper, just be sure the breaker and the outlet are designed for copper. I prefer 3 conductor +ground over 2 conductor because it is safer. 6AWG with a 50 amp breaker will be fine for under 100' run. You didn't mention the conduit you will be using; Weather tight or PVC? Either way go big, 1-1/2". It's easier to pull and the air volume will help dissipate the heat.

Upvote 0