Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector with 14-50 Plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting product but if you're going to go NEMA 14-50, I think it's better to just use the mobile connector. Plug is $20 vs $633. I installed 70' of #6 wire (which can support an HPWC in the future if desired) and a breaker box. $650 installed plus the gecko clips

mobile charger - 32A

(add $633 + 13% tax = $715)

HPWC (14-50) - 40A
HPWC - 48A

I wonder if the new HPWC is convertible to be 48A and hardwired. Since it's the same price, I suspect not.

Attachments

• IMG_2418.JPG
    IMG_2418.JPG
    310.8 KB · Views: 212
Last edited:
The UMC connector is not exactly a great connector, where putting a smaller cable on a HPWC with 40A supply rather than 32A is a good upgrade for many. personally I would just go Open EVSE. But the UMC is not something I would not rely on personally, especially if you are used to the 40A that the unreliable gen1 UMC provided. The HPWC you can reduce for 40A and probably be ahead if you are happy wiring it yourself. But if your getting someone else to do the work the cost will quickly escalate

From my point of view, I would much rather get the 80 A capable hard wired wall connector. It is adjustable for use with any circuit from 15-100 A, and you save the cost of the 14-50 outlet.

For charging from a 14-50 outlet, I would just use the UMC.

For people concerned about long term durability of the UMC when used at its full 32 A rating (like myself), charging a slightly lower current should greatly help durability (if durability really is an issue). I would charge at 24 A most of the time, and use 32 A whenever wanted or needed (this should not be often).

GSP

I’m hoping UMC durability vs HPWC is not an issue. It’s tuned down to 32A already from the v1’s 40A. Not everyone needs an HPWC for daily charging.

I’m open to an HPWC in the future but even though 80A capable, max charge rate for current S/X/3 is 48A. Rate is even less for short range M3. On the rare occasion I need faster for some reason, I’m fortunate to be close to two superchargers.

Reactions: GSP
I’m open to an HPWC in the future but even though 80A capable, max charge rate for current S/X/3 is 48A. Rate is even less for short range M3. On the rare occasion I need faster for some reason, I’m fortunate to be close to two superchargers.
What do you mean by this? My four year old Model S can charge at 80A with my HPWC.

What do you mean by this? My four year old Model S can charge at 80A with my HPWC.
Hmm. You're right. The charging chart here shows a max of 48 but that is for a "suggested" 60A service.

Home Charging Installation

What's confusing though is that the page where you buy an HPWC says:

Silver Wall Connector

Tesla vehicle Recommended circuit breaker for fastest charging = 60 amp circuit breaker
Model S 75D, 100D, P100D
Model X 75D, 100D, P100D
Model 3 Long Range

Multiple Tesla vehicles, with 2+ Wall Connectors installed to power share = 100 amp circuit breaker

My guess is 60A is recommended due to the >6 AWG wire required for more.

Edit: The charging page says new vehicles are limited to 48A?

Last edited:
The HPWC with the 14-50 connector is targeted to those who have the following conditions:

• Already have a NEMA 14-50R in at their house from a previous EV/Appliance (saves the cost of needing an electrician to modify the setup)
  • Want to keep their HPWC mobile if they have plans of moving soon/near future
  • Are already using their UMC with NEMA 14-50 and want to keep the UMC in the car and have a fixed second charger at home
This is limited to 40A but if you're using the UMC it's an upgrade. The extra cost for an electrician/inspection to gain an extra 8A (48A) likely isn't worth it for any Tesla that is not equipped with dual chargers if you meet one of the above mentioned conditions.

When the Ontario rebate for charging units and installation was on, it was definitely worth looking into a hard wired HPWC. Now that the rebate is over, the costs can add up quickly..in Ontario anyway.

But if you can get your hands on a hard wired HPWC, it can be modified for a few dollars with a NEMA 14-50 pigtail. This also allows you to change your setup to a hard wired solution in the future and increase the amps.

Reactions: GSP and X.l.r.8
^^ totally agree @Tony_YYZ except for the day someone tries to pull 70+A from a 14-50. That’s the danger of of having a plug on a HPWC. Unless you are sure it’s set to the circuit. It’s only going to be a matter of time before someone tries it and the wires melt. It’s a great solution for the above scenarios as it’s fool proof. But as the saying goes ‘a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools’

Not all 14-50 are 6AWG. Especially those found in garages that had dryers. I would check thoroughly the wire before making that assumption.

That is a dangerous assumption to make. The 14-50 is wired for a 50 amp max. Dropping a 60 amp breaker on that means the cable will fail before the breaker will trip, which will likely cause a fire.

Not impossible, but definitely not recommended.

^^ totally agree @Tony_YYZ except for the day someone tries to pull 70+A from a 14-50. That’s the danger of of having a plug on a HPWC. Unless you are sure it’s set to the circuit. It’s only going to be a matter of time before someone tries it and the wires melt. It’s a great solution for the above scenarios as it’s fool proof. But as the saying goes ‘a common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools’

Once the dip switches are set properly in the HPWC, the car cannot try to pull more than the max amps the dip switches are set to.

The new HPWC with the pigtail is set to draw only 40A max out of the box. I'm not sure if it's even configurable to go higher than that, it shouldn't be since it's designed to work with NEMA 14-50.

Reactions: GSP and Vawlkus
Exactly, however there’s nothing stopping another coming along and changing it back. That’s why the plugged one is a better solution for a known circuit than a hpwc with a plug. Some idiot will simply believe it’s just set wrong and will flip it back to 70A. There’s a few known guilty parties on plugshare that have ‘helped out’ by reverting them back.

Not an exact quote but I have read ‘ I could only pull 48A but I always carry a small screwdriver for such occasions and changed the charger back to 70A to give the full charge’.
Again, if it’s yours in your garage with no-one else having access it’s fine. But there are people admitting to increasing the output without even checking. It’s why I have a healthy distrust of people.