Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Connector with NEMA 14-50

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't want to to pay hundreds to an electrician to install on a 60-80 amp circuit and are happy with a 50 amp plug in then this is a good buy. I get it that the mobile charger is $205 less but this one is not bad at $500 and looks a bit sturdier.

I plan to have a mobile charger in the car permanently in case I am struct at a place where I might get a 110 V or 240V charging and no other superchargers or J1772 is nearby. One side of my garage can take in 50-80 amp installment but has wiring for only a 14-50 on the other side. If I get a 2nd car then this plug in wall connector will go on the other side for the 2nd Tesla if / when I get one.

With this version of Wall Connector are you still able to hard wire it if you choose to? Can you adjust the amps inside the Wall Connector?

When I downloaded the user manual it reads max output 40amps. So no way to get the full 48 to the car with this type of Wall Connector?

Thanks

With this version of Wall Connector are you still able to hard wire it if you choose to? Can you adjust the amps inside the Wall Connector?

When I downloaded the user manual it reads max output 40amps. So no way to get the full 48 to the car with this type of Wall Connector?

Thanks

A 14-50 outlet is only allowed by code to use 40 amps in the USA. (In Canada, limited to 32 A). Since you ordered the 14-50 model, I assume it is limited to 40 A.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Is available (just now ordered one). FYI, Tesla says on shop.tesla.com:
"Note: Limited inventory available. Once current stock is sold, this product will no longer be available."

Just wanted to thank you for alerting us that this was available. I ordered it the same day and within 5 days it was gone and sold out and has disappeared from the site.

P.S. Looks like it is back today after being sold out yesterday. And regular WC are sold out. Tesla should do a better job with its inventory management.

This afternoon, I checked the Tesla Shop website, and the NEMA 15-50 Plug Wall Connector was no long there. Not Out of Order, but gone.

Does it mean Tesla discontinued it for good?

It just comes and goes on their website. It was gone 2 days ago and then came back yesterday, and then disappeared once more. So keep an eye out for it and if you find it and need it, order right away. It vanishes within hours.

Reactions: axhoaxho
Question: Why would anyone want the 14-50 wall connector? If you have more power available, definitely get the Wall connector for up to 80 amps. I have two. If all you have is 14-50, why not just an additional UMC?

The wall connector is rated for 80A but your panel should be able to withstand 80A. If your electrician states that it can give only 60A safely you are limited to 60A and 80% of it usable at 48A. Or you have to pay a lot for a separate sub panel. Electricians are not cheap and wiring for a hardwired WC can run in the hundreds if not thousands of dollars, with requirements of additional permits.

The Corded 14-50 can give 50A and usable 40A. This is less than the 48A that AWD M3 can take at max but better than 32A the UMC provides. So if you have a 14-50 receptacle handy you don't need a electrician with his expenses or a new permit ( which some states insist you have before installing the WC). You just plug in and off you go. And if you move unplugging it and taking it with you is quite easy. For me the savings in not having electrician's expenses and possibly not needing to run additional thicker wires is worth the drawback of limiting it to 40A rather than the 48A max.

Now to the UMC. First of all I like to have the UMC supplied by Tesla in the car and not have to unplug and take it on trips and re-plug it when I return.

The UMC-Gen2 is $275 + $35 NEMA 14-50 adapter that gives 32A max. For $310 it is not very sturdy compared to corded WC ( I have both and UMC looks puny).

The corded UMC Gen 2 is $520 - why would I buy that if I can get the corded WC for $500 and is much sturdier ( both being 14-50)