Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall connector

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi
Anyone had one installed in Sheffield or surrounding area and have an electrician they can recommend. Also some idea of installation cost? Notice that there is now a gen 3 wall connector in the States, any one know if this will be coming to the UK.

I'm in London which I assume means higher prices. I was quoted £670 for a single phase installation and £790 for a three phase installation. That does NOT include the Tesla charger.

Regarding Gen 3 the installer said her heard they were coming in June/July. My car is coming in early March so I could not wait. Also, I really need the 7.5m cable of the Gen 2. The Gen 3 is shorter (but thinner).

I used a friend of the family to install. I think any decent electrician should be able to install for you.

Not sure what the new smart features are, but I needed the longer length of the current wall connector to make life easier. Cable is mega thick though! No idea why

I think the 2nd Gen cable is thick because it can take up to 80 Amps, which (apparently) was good for older Model S and X, but can now be thinner as it's limited to 40 Amps. Which means, going forward, Tesla is going to stick to 40 Amp home charging. (Disclaimer, I got a "C" in O'Level Electronics in 1982)

I think the 2nd Gen cable is thick because it can take up to 80 Amps, which (apparently) was good for older Model S and X, but can now be thinner as it's limited to 40 Amps. Which means, going forward, Tesla is going to stick to 40 Amp home charging. (Disclaimer, I got a "C" in O'Level Electronics in 1982)

Those are specs for the USA version wall connector. The version sold in Europe is different.

Current european version supports 3-phase at up to 32A (so 4 heavy wires in the cable). The three-phase capability is rarely used in UK domestic installs, so a single phase version (dropping the two wires not normally used) would allow a thinner cable; however, three-phase (typically at lower current) is important elsewhere in Europe, so it's not clear what Tesla will do with a V3 European version.

One thing that is relevant to the original question is that the V3 is "smart", so may permit the OLEV grant to be claimed for UK installs - the lack of grant makes the current Tesla WC look expensive against other options, even though the equipment itself is cheap for what you get.

So it's likely that the V3 will be a significantly different prospect when it turns up - but that could be a while.

• Love
Reactions: AnthonyLR
Even if the v3 comes out in the UK, I'd still just get a "dumb" one. Unless you can run a v3 in "dumb mode". I'm seriously no impressed with smart chargers at the moment.

Mind you, Tesla's may have a better integration with the App so might actually become a compelling option.

Also, I do hope they keep the 3ph version. It's good to have the option to increase the charge current in the future as battery packs will inevitably gain more capacity.

2C1B29B1-6500-464B-BEF6-7FBFF0C2EC8C.jpeg 2A0C7FBA-8A09-4B40-892E-46C82B371D8D.jpeg 779D3E90-6D4F-42BB-8D79-7347D100D485.jpeg 5C33A15B-2E7A-41BD-84CA-5EC9148306C6.jpeg Some pics of my install... wasn’t keen on drilling holes in the render. This is in between both spaces on the drive ..

Just received a response back from Tesla Online orders EMEA re Gen 3 availability and their response was.....
Unfortunately the Gen 3 Wall Connector is not yet available for our region and we do not yet have an estimation on when it will be.
Please check back on our website regularly for updates on the available products.

I also asked about the OLEV Grant and they said they have copied colleagues from the @ChargingInstallation-EUR asking them to respond to me

• Informative
Reactions: EVMeister