TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Wall Connector

Discussion in 'Model S' started by aollivierre, Sep 19, 2017.

Tags:
  1. aollivierre

aollivierre Member

i am thinking anout buying the wall connector for my house. Is it worth the expense?

2. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

I haven't seen any cases where people regretted installing them but do you need the quicker charge rate, or can you live with what you have now? Also, what's the highest rate your car can charge at? If it would be more of a "nice to have" upgrade, consider saving up some money for the install and also have a Tesla-recommended electrician come out for an estimate, or at least one who is well rated and has experience with EV charging connector installs.

3. Tam

Tam Active Member

Yes!

If you can afford it, I don't see what's the down side is.

It's on the wall ready and waiting for you 24/7.

Higher charging rate if your circuit breaker allows.

4. TexasEV

TexasEV Well-Known Member

To answer your question we would need to know why you're thinking about it. Do you need faster charging than a 14-50 outlet? Do you think you should have routinely the UMC in the car? (the answer is almost always no). Do you just like the looks? Please elaborate on your thoughts.

5. TampaRich

TampaRich Member

Get estimates from both Tesla-recommended electricians and those that are not on Tesla's list in your area. There are no special skills required for any reputable electrician to install the wall connector. You stand to save a lot of money by shopping around.

• Like x 1
  6. YauKwan

YauKwan Member

I have not had the need for a HPWC. At home I typically charge at 24amps and its more than enough to go back to 90% a couple of hours. I also dont bring the umc out with me unless I'm going on vacation. I do bring the j1772 adapter.

• Like x 3
  7. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

I’m exactly with you. Works fine and had no problems for 8 months.

I’m finally going to have an electrician do a permitted install of my outlet. My electric company will pay for 50% of the install, including an evse, so I’m going ahead with a HPWC. Can’t say no if someone is paying half.

8. CinRedMan

CinRedMan Member

I'm installing a wall connector at home. Borrowing from another member's post, I am actually installing a NEMA outlet. I will wire the wall connector with a range cord which plugs into the NEMA. Rational for configuration; 1-wall connector moves when/if I move homes. 2-If wall connector has issues, leverage portable cord.

• Like x 1
  9. MSDadMich

MSDadMich Member

aollivierre,

Keep in mind that the high power wall connector will charge your car at 48amp max continuous current, unless you are planning on purchasing the 100kWh batt and installing the extra in-car charger, OR, you plan to purchase an older model that has high power charging installed.
    That being said, the cord that comes with a new Tesla will charge you at 40amps continuous current which is pretty speedy, but you have to pack it up every time you use it unless you plan to leave it at home. It's nice to have the wall charger so you can leave your cord in the trunk if you want.
    My 2 cents.

• Informative x 1