Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall dryer outlet adapter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@jchau:

It will, but remember to turn down the charging amperage on the car to 24 amp before plugging in. Otherwise, it'll trip the breaker, overheat or even cause a fire like @JeffK says. Once you've charged with the lower amperage, the car will always remember that setting at that location. Assuming the Model 3 behaves like the MS.

Reactions: JPUConn and JeffK
Tesla made a NEMA 10-30 adapter for the UMC a while back, but recalled it and pulled it from the store after a handful of some mix of the 10-30, 14-30, and 6-50 adapters melted.

The 14-30 has returned to the Tesla Store; 10-30 can't be too far behind.

The only problem I see is if you use this for something other than Tesla charging. The NEMA 10-30 standard consists of a neutral but no safety ground so this adapter probably combines the two. This means if you insert a NEMA 14-50P into the adapter then you have the neutral and ground combined at the load, not at the distribution panel, where it's supposed to be. So if you purchase this I would label it "Tesla Only".

As for fire danger, if your circuit breaker is properly sized (30 amp) and the wire is properly sized (10 awg copper) and the connections at the receptacle are good, then you would have little chance of fire. That's a lotta "ands" but I regularly use an old 10-30 dryer receptacle to charge my cars and have had no problems. However, since my house was built in the early 70's, I did inspect the old receptacle to be certain the connections were good and I replaced the 40-year old breaker with a new one. As pointed out, you have to be careful to dial back the setting in your M3 to 24-amps the first time you use it. That being said, the first time I used this outlet for each of my MS's I forget to lower the charge setting. Each time the breaker popped immediately. :)

As an aside, I prefer building my own adapters using the guide by @Cosmacelf, but that's just me. :rolleyes:

• Informative
Reactions: JeffK
Odds are the Model 3 will have similar software option to dial down amperage manually, yourself, which MUST be done before using any such non-Tesla adapter. But, it seems likely none of us have driven the final production version, so we don't know for sure what the interface/manual adjustment options might be. But, to reiterate what others have noted, on the Model S, you can "get away" with using these third party adapters, as long as you always check the breaker, and dial down the amps to 80 percent, or maybe 70% to be safer if you don't know wiring, or if its old, etc, of the breaker max. I've had my S for almost 4 years, driving all over the country, and some in Canada. For insurance, I bought a set of all the common adapters, maybe spent $200 or so. Only used them a few times, but when needed, I was happy to have them. Now, with Superchargers popping up everywhere, and a new one opening every week or two, this is a lot less of a concern.

Oh, also assuming the adapters are labeled and sold for Tesla use. Very similar adapters sold for general use, often labeled for RVs, typically don't work because they are wired differently. Conversely, don't let someone use your adapter wired for the Tesla in their RV or any other such application.