Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Mount Charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New Model X owner here and considering the Wall Mount Tesla Connector. It is not clear to me if the model currently shipping is Hardwired or has a pigtail with a 14-50P. I will be running a new circuit, so since I am going to the trouble would like to have maximum charge rate. I suspect the plug in will limit to 40 Amps, and a hardwired version would be 48 Amps. I will be running a 60 Amp capable circuit, breakered at 50 Amp if using the plug in version.

I suspect if the unit does come with the 14-50P I could remove it and hardwire but would prefer not to undermine any approval listings.

I will run a three with ground circuit, so neutral will be available in case future home owner is not an EV user and wants to just put in a sub panel.

What they are shipping is intended to be hardwired. They used to sell one with a 14-50P on it and that was great (I have one) but they stopped offering it I suspect because it is the same as the hard wired unit except for the line landing terminals and that the cable to the car is quite a bit punier. Thus a buyer could plug it into a 14-50R wired to a 40 A breaker and it would draw 40A which is a code violation. It would be OK to use this unit under those circumstances as long as you "sedate" (I like that) it by setting the rotary switch to the 40A position but they probably don't expect Harry Homeowner to do that so I suspect the lawyers had them remove this item from the store.

You can, of course, make your own plug in out of the hard wired version simply by landing a 14-50P pigtail. There are some code requirements about keeping the pigtail short if connected to a plug but a couple of feed should be OK.

Do you understand load sharing potential and that Tesla has sold vehicles capable of charging at more than 48amps?

IMO it is short sighted to let today's car dictate. If you have the electrical capacity I would consider all the way up to 100amp capable wiring, at least price it out.

Hi Steinmetz,

You did not mention the Year your car was manufactured...
March 2018 (like mine) is capable of home charging at 72 Amp.
Current 2019 cars are capable of home charging at 48 Amp.

You mention 40 Amp for the mobile connector or whatever they call that now...
When I got mine in March 2018 it was only capable of 30 or 32 Amp - I forget which...

So, unless you purposefully bought and older style mobile connector (Older than March 2018)
you will be limited to 30-32 Amp on the 14-50 setup...

It is a shame the home charging ampacity continues to decrease with the newer models...

The wall connector is great for 72 Amp and 80 Amp charging.
Of course it works for lower Amp ratings.
With the new larger cars now only capable of 48 Amp. home charging
and the mobile connector at 32 Amp. the reasons for the wall connector diminish.
It has a great interface - The connector with the long cord are very easy to plug into the car.
And the cord stores nicely when not in use.

The new wall connectors are capable of load sharing for multiple car households.

Good luck,

Shawn

When I got mine in March 2018 it was only capable of 30 or 32 Amp - I forget which...

I don't think so. That's right about when I got mine and as I said in an earlier post it was identical to the wired models except for the terminals and smaller vehicle cord. IOW you could dial it up to 80A (100 A breaker) if you wanted to. This would result in a popped breaker if I plugged in my X which can ask for 72A. That's why I think they dscontinued it.

So, unless you purposefully bought and older style mobile connector (Older than March 2018)
you will be limited to 30-32 Amp on the 14-50 setup...
No. I regularly take 40 A from it because it's plugged into a receptacle rated 50 A behind a 50 A breaker.

It is a shame the home charging ampacity continues to decrease with the newer models...
I usually charge at 72 A in the states because I have a 100 A circuit there but after charging at 40 A here in the country I don't really see any reason to go that fast. An whatever people say I can't believe charging the battery more slowly is a bad thing to do. I wonder how much of Tesla's decision to remove the 3rd rectifier/booster from the X was desire to save 33% or charger costs and how much by desire to nudge us into slower charging.

Hi Adelange,

Please read my post in waltz time...

The MOBILE connector supplied with my car is capable of 32 Amps - It is Gen II or Gen 2
It is pictured below on the bottom.

The older style mobile connector or Gen I or Gen 1 is capable of 40 Amps
It is pictured below on top.
I bought it here on TMC for FASTER remote/mobile use.

My car's internal charger for home charging is capable of 72 Amps.
An X manufactured in 2019 is capable of 48 Amps - that is disappointing...

Yes wall connector is capable of high output - I use mine to charge the car at 72 Amps
My wife's dual charger S is capable of 80 Amps for home charging from the HPWC.

Again - I lament the decreasing home charging capability of the newer cars...
Mobile.jpg

Shawn

Greetings

I have a 2016 X P90D, and I bought a Gen II HPWC from a guy that was manufactured Jan 2019. I'm about to have it installed by running a dedicated line to it.

Any suggestions on the cable and breaker?

I'm having three other lines installed into other locations for future use as well as being used with my mobile charger. Love any input on that too.

Thanks!

So keep in mind, most homes only have a 200A panel in them. So people chucking around the 100A breaker must have a subpanel, or something else.

for a UL listed circuit, you lose 20% of the A on the breaker. So if you put a 60A in, you get 48A, or 50A you get 40A, and 40A you get 32A.

The higher the A the more it's gonna cost to install. I went with a 40A breaker to do a wall mounted Chargepoint as I have a Bolt EV when I got it. The Bolt is also limited to 32A.

As I understand it, my MY2019 X I just got has a 48A max. I could get a new Chargepoint that has a 60A breaker to get the 48A and still support my Bolt EV and Fiat 500E, but in my case I've never been home with <50% yet on any EV I've owned that has >200 miles of range so it only took a few hours at most at 32A to recharge to 90% or more. The Fiat fully empty needs about 3.5hrs to fully recharge to its 90m range so that doesn't matter much to me.

So in short, IMHO I didn't feel going above 40A breaker was worth it, as my panel didn't have much room in the 200A range. That said since they we dropped the electric stove for a gas one, so now I have 40A more available This will also allow me to add a second charger should moving the cables around become to much of a minor annoyance (#firstworldproblem lol)

• Informative
Reactions: jet44