TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wall Mounted Tire Storage

Discussion in 'Model S' started by mattmass, Sep 18, 2016.

1. mattmass

mattmass Member

I'm trying to come up with a way to store seasonal tires in my tiny garage. There's space above the hood of the car, but not much. My preference is to find a strong hook I can mount into a stud, and use four to hang each tire flush with wall.

I have 21s for summer and 19 for winter. The 21s are about 60 lbs each, which makes it tough to find a suitable hook.

This product looks close, but it'll be a pain mounting and unmounting each time. Also not sure it's intended for interior walls.

Universal Wheel Wall Mount - Griot's Garage

Anyone have any recommendations?

2. brantse

brantse Member

I have this and it works great - https://www.amazon.com/HyLoft-01031-Folding-Storage-Sliver/dp/B0058BMNVU/

It definitely needs to be well secured, as a complete set of wheels/tires is a lot of weight. If you're willing to spend a little more, I'm sure you can find one that's a little sturdier and maybe you'll want something a little more secure, if it's going to be directly above your car.

3. Hota

Hota Member

I have this thing and it works great:
    https://amzn.com/B00ACOHP52

It might overhang the hood of your car but if you have space to mount wheels flush to the wall, you probably can mount this thing. It definitely has to be secured to studs though.

4. Patrick W

Patrick W Member

FWIW I asked my "tire guy" about storing tires. He said it's best to store tires flat.

5. JPUConn

JPUConn Member

6. mattmass

mattmass Member

I am considering a rack, and it might fit. Hooks would still be ideal, though, because of how my garage is wall is structured. Thanks everyone!

7. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

8. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

I leave mine at the facility (Virginia Tire) that does the tire changes. They don't charge me and I have a "cold spare" right near my home.

9. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

#9 Xenoilphobe, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
    Heres another option - we did this setup at my last home