Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are in Cheyenne, Wyoming and have recently finished installing and bringing online 10 Powerwall 2 units (140 kWh of which 135 kWh is usable). The system is grid tied. We have 4 Skystream 3.7 residential scale wind turbines rated at 2.4 kW each, and just under 8 rated kW of solar PV in trackers with Enphase microinverters. We also have a 22 kW Generac backup generator which is fueled from a 250 gallon propane tank. This system is whole house back up of our all electric home, which has a ground source heat pump for HVAC. We have 3 EVs, a 2012 Signature Edition P85 Tesla Model S we purchased CPO from Tesla in 2016, a 2014 Nissan LEAF SL, and a 2008 Toyota Prius which has been converted to a plug-in hybrid with 17 kWh of salvaged 2013 LEAF batteries. We've been driving electric since 2007. Our previous EVs have been donated to the Historic Electric Vehicle Foundation Museum in Kingman, AZ. Here's a link to an online album of our EVs: Jason Bloomberg's 1993 Eagle Summit Wagon

These are all "Founders Edition" cases, and getting them was somewhat of a surprise. I bought a "referral premium" from a friend who earned one and lived in an apartment where he couldn't install it. I then purchased 9 more Powerwall 2 units from Tesla, fully expecting to get the regular white ones. Tesla knew we have one Founder's Edition Powerwall 2 and the people I was working with, without my asking for it, sent these so they matched the first one. I have no idea how they were able to do it, but it does make a nice installation which color coordinates well with our Signature Red Model S.

This is the maximal size of an installation with Powerwall 2 units. I haven't seen any others, but would love to see more of them. This is the first Powerwall installation in Cheyenne, and the largest installation in Wyoming.
20210108_094910 (1).jpg

I am curious if there is anyone else in this group with 10 Powerwall 2 units in their system and what your experiences with have been?

Wow just wow. I have been trying for over a year to get one. Just sell me ONE!!!

If you are looking for one, try to find someone with a referral certificate. We worked since 2018 to get this system. I had a $500 deposit on 2 Powerwalls and worked for years to be able to get an installation in Wyoming. There are no Tesla installers here, so we worked to get the local company which installed all of our grid tied solar PV and wind power installations certified by Tesla to become authorized installers. I wish you success in getting yours.

If you are looking for one, try to find someone with a referral certificate. We worked since 2018 to get this system. I had a $500 deposit on 2 Powerwalls and worked for years to be able to get an installation in Wyoming. There are no Tesla installers here, so we worked to get the local company which installed all of our grid tied solar PV and wind power installations certified by Tesla to become authorized installers. I wish you success in getting yours.
I actually have tried that and three leads have fallen through. But I will keep my eyes open.

I think Tesla should offer a way to DC Fast Charge your car if you have enough of those connected together. How many PowerWalls is a PowerPack? Kinda sad seeing that car plugged into 120V, but at least the white paint looks right parked in front of all that Tesla red.
You can buy your own 25kW CHAdeMO DCFC that draws residential 240V split phase power to charge a Tesla. If you really want that level of charging, you don't need Tesla to do anything new.

I think Tesla should offer a way to DC Fast Charge your car if you have enough of those connected together. How many PowerWalls is a PowerPack? Kinda sad seeing that car plugged into 120V, but at least the white paint looks right parked in front of all that Tesla red.
I believe the number you are looking for is 10 for the smallest PowerPak. So why wouldn’t one use one of those?

Because the first thing you say when arriving home from a 5-hour freeway trip is "Oh, if only my car could charge in 25 minutes I would leave on another 5 hour freeway trip" ?

This is a great story. Ten Powerwall has got to be a residential record!
When I installed my PWs here in SoCal, I wanted three units. Our utility looked at our usage and only allowed two units within the SGIP incentive program. Two is enough, as it turns out.
You just needed to provide them with an updated green button file. My first pass they reject my five and said I only justified 2. My second pass they approved 5 when I had justified 7 :)