TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wall, SD

Discussion in 'Midwest/Great Lakes' started by PLUS EV, Apr 19, 2018.

1. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

I scouted Wall last night and found what appeared to be 8 of the parking bumpers that are often used at superchargers in a location that could be where a new supercharger is going. There was also a trailer in the same area of the similar sort that I've seen at supercharger construction sites (see Supercharger - Wheatland, WY). Unfortunately I didn't catch the name or any other distinguishing feature on the trailer so as to compare to the trailer at Wheatland.

Again, this is just parking bumpers and a trailer so who knows, but the fact that it was 8 of them made me more confident. I would have put the odds of the Wall supercharger being 8 stalls at about 90% so that would be highly coincidental. It's also possible that Wheatland, Custer and Wall are all being built by the same crew. The Wheatland crew is based out of NW Kansas.

The location these were spotted is the old Wounded Knee Museum (it was moved a few years ago after an electrical fire). If this is where they are putting the supercharger, then presumably a different business is going in where the museum is. Either that or the city is just letting Tesla use the parking lot (there are many hotels, gas stations and fast food restaurants within walking distance). It could also be that they are just storing some things on this vacant lot and they will actually build on one of the adjacent properties (probably one of the gas stations as the hotel lots are fairly small).

Anyways, pics in my next post...

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 4
  2. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

D7D6DC5D-97D4-47C9-8F62-BD0236DDE015.jpeg 3AE4DF1D-47E3-41ED-A323-F3E170009807.jpeg

• Like x 2
  3. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

It's hard to make out, but in the bottom pic there is a 2nd pile of 3 parking bumpers in the background (left side of the pic). So one pile of 5 and one pile of 3 = 8 total parking bumpers. And then also you can see the trailer in the background.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

A real stretch, but thanks for stopping and scouting.

• Like x 1
  5. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Hey I could possibly get some award for spotting a location with the least amount of evidence :)

Also, it's probably less of a stretch than it seems based on the context of exactly where it is in that town and based on similarities with nearby supercharger construction sites. Was using my best judgment here.

• Like x 5
    • Funny x 2
    • Love x 1
  6. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

#6 emupilot, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Score 1 for PLUS EV! From the April 5 City Council minutes:

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 2
  7. Utahken

Utahken Member

Looks promising, what do you think @BlueShift ?

8. Chuq

Chuq Active Member

#8 Chuq, Apr 20, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Hmm, that only shows that there is going to be a SC somewhere in the town (which we knew - it's on Tesla's map, and there aren't many other options along that route). It doesn't tie it in to @PLUS EV 's find. (Although I suspect PLUS EV is correct here, the city council minutes don't provide any additional confirmation).

For future reference, the address being discussed is:

43.987262, -102.239563

201-211 10th Ave, Wall, SD 57790

9. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

I don't think it is quite blue-dot-worthy until we have confirmation of an agreement between the City and Tesla (and of the specific site). I would be surprised if the supercharger didn't end up at this site though - the City clearly does all it can to encourage visitors so they aren't going to make Tesla jump through hoops.

• Like x 2
  10. Utahken

Utahken Member

All the signs along I 90 should add " supercharging available and free water".

• Funny x 3
  11. emupilot

emupilot Active Member

Or maybe "free juice"

• Funny x 5
  12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

@PLUS-EV, I apologize profusely. Thank you for your dedication to scouting.

I hope you make/made it home safely, from your road trip.

13. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

I agree that it isn't quite blue dot worthy yet, but it's getting close! In fact, almost orange construction cone worthy!

And yes, if Tesla ever starts advertising Wall Supercharger billboards would be hilarious. I really like the idea of FREE JUICE although it might lead to some disappointed kids. Some Casa de Supercharger signs in "Hollister" would also be a must.

• Funny x 1
  14. PLUS EV

PLUS EV Running on Empty

Actually for Model 3s the sign could read:

JUICE
    10 CENTS

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 1
  15. lightfoot3b

lightfoot3b Member

Awesome thread everyone. Glad to see the updates. I-90 has been my only route being in ND. Going east to West to Murdo and Rapid City has been a stretch even in an 85 with 90% charge due to strong West winds. This is the last addition to make i-90 through SD a breeze even for the 60kWh folks. Now I just hope there is a crew popping up to ND to start work sooner than later, it's been a long 4+ year wait!

16. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Well-Known Member

Can you still get FREE ICE WATER! at that place.

Good memories of traveling cross country. Had to stop at Wall Drugs : >)

• Like x 1
  17. OlderThanDirt

OlderThanDirt Member

We did last summer when we stopped with our grandson.

18. Utahken

Utahken Member

Wall meeting is tonight, April 23th. Check out the minutes maybe tomorrow.

19. Utahken

Utahken Member

One agenda item lists "Ted Schulz w/AE2S – Tesla parking lot update"

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  20. Utahken

Utahken Member

I called the city council office. They said that Tesla is still in the planning phases. They are discussing whether to use concrete or asphalt. It won't be far off the interstate either. I did say that it will bring in a lot of new revenue for the town ( didn't mention free juice ;) ).

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1