TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wall Street Journal Continues its Crusade against Tesla

Discussion in 'News' started by Olle, Aug 29, 2015.

1. Olle

Olle Member

#1 Olle, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    Holman Jenkins again, this time worse than ever:

Consumer Reports Spends Its Juice, Badly - WSJ

Using words like prostitution, Jenkins is trying to imply between the lines that CR has been bribed by Tesla to give the perfect score and that Consumer reports is spending tax money.

There seems to be little to no substance in his accusations, and it is full of irrelevant facts like the "Merc C class and BMW 5 sells more than Tesla" So what? they are smaller cars for a different market.
    Complaining about subsidies for Tesla (what subsidies?) and forgot to mention that big oil gets big subsidies…

Now I'm really considering canceling my superscription for WSJ

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

These days the media does three things:

1. Makes headlines so that you will click on the story.

2. Writes articles that will please their advertisers.

3. Values entertainment over factual reporting.

3. Olle

Olle Member

You would hope that WSJ:s standards were a little higher than the tabloids.

4. Panoz

Panoz Member

WSJ *should* be better than a tabloid, but when have they ever criticized CR for a review? I think I agree with Jerry33...

5. imherkimer

imherkimer Member

Since WSJ was acquired by the King of Tabloids, Rupert Murdoch, it's standards have reflected his agenda.
    So all 3 of Jerry33's media standards are now common to both the NY Post (and comparable Murdoch publications) and the WSJ.

6. lucy

lucy bluehair

Haters gonna hate.

7. MikeL

MikeL some guy

The day wsj became newscorp, it became purely agenda driven. Their relationship with any facts or realities that contradicted the agenda became untenable, and had to be abandoned. You should cancel your subscription, everyone should. The kicker is THEY should be championing a hot, new, American company that makes the best ever product in its field, right? I know, all been said before. Sickening, stupid - uucgk

Anyway, similar to what Jerry said: News media has always been three things
    1. Advertising
    2. Entertainment
    3. Information

In THAT order of priority

8. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I cancelled my subscription about a month after ownership changed - there was a noticeable change to the tenor of stories.

- - - Updated - - -

Non-paywall link to article: Consumer Reports Spends Its Juice, Badly - WSJ

9. dgpcolorado

dgpcolorado Member

Much the same for me: I cancelled my longstanding WSJ subscription when the Murdoch purchase went through. I knew what was about to happen and didn't care to support it with my dollars.

10. gg_got_a_tesla

gg_got_a_tesla Model S: VIN P65513, Model 3 Res Holder

The tax subsidies they complain about are the federal tax credit on each car primarily, I guess. It's a loaded topic in itself. Maybe, it's best when Tesla finishes selling 200k+ cars in the U.S. and the credit tails off.

Can't wait for 2018 when Tesla starts selling a more affordable car in the 3. Well, these folks might find something else to diss Tesla with.

11. walla2

walla2 Member

#11 walla2, Aug 29, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2015
    The writer brings up the fairly vulgar word "prostitution" to discuss what CR did in writing about the p85d. It then reads "CR does not give it's content away for free." The irony is that the WSJ is a subscription based service and prostitutes itself on a daily basis, and the WSJ writer apparently can't see that problem at his own paper.

12. Tinky

Tinky Member

I love my Tesla, but would like to see Solar, Windmills, and electric vehicles stand on their own.
    Elon Musk's growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies
    http://lat.ms/1BwC8o9

The above is a article in the LA TIMES, not exactly a conservative rag.

13. dauger

dauger Member

I started an earlier TMC News thread about WSJ's Jenkins "compliance company" piece. I see a pattern of Jenkins spinning every attribute of his target negative. E.g., he emphasizes 5 hour charge times while putting Superchargers' 30-minute charge in parenthetical to paint "truthiness". Except for a handful of reasonable commenters like Anna Kaikou and Richard Davidson, I begin to wonder if the hating commenters are paid; their sentence structure and positions seem too similar.

Is accusing CR of "prostitution" libel? I think CR has a legitimate case to name both WSJ and Jenkins as Defendants.

14. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2014/03/01/10-companies-receiving-the-biggest-handouts-from-t.aspx

15. alin3

alin3 Member

WSJ hard news is still excellent.

Where it is totally off the rails is the opinion sections...like the editorial page which is SMH everyday I read it.

16. ZachShahan

ZachShahan Member

As someone who has worked in the media for 6 years, I can pretty confidently say the WSJ is now one of the most ridiculously bad mainstream media outlets.

The LA Times may be decent on the whole, but I've seen it publish some of the most slanted, incorrect, stupid pieces on cleantech. This one is quite horrible. The nice thing is that they actually ran pieces focused on Elon's responses:

Elon Musk defends $4.9 billion in government money for his companies - LA Times

Elon Musk: 'If I cared about subsidies, I would have entered the oil and gas industry' - LA Times

17. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Of course he gets paid. The rate is $0.01/click, like all the other SeekingAlpha authors. This was published on SeekingAlpha, right...?

18. dhrivnak

dhrivnak Active Member

That was before Rupert Murdock took over the paper.

19. AlMc

AlMc 'Senior Moments' member

The positive that could come out of this is if CR does start to answer back the WSJ: Free publicity.........I believe more people respect CR than WSJ.

20. wdolson

wdolson Active Member

My father has been a diehard subscriber to both for decades. He's always been more of a Eisenhower Republican than the modern version and has always disregarded Fox News as junk news. However, I heard him start to slide to the right after the WSJ was bought. In the last year he's gone completely silent whenever politics comes up, except he let slip he was completely disgusted with the entire field of people running for the presidential nomination. I think he's finally seeing the party he has supported the last 70+ years is not the same as it once was.

Though he has been critical of CR's coverage of large cars in the past. He's claimed for years that CR tended to review larger cars more negatively than smaller cars claiming they wanted everyone to drive more efficient vehicles. He might chalk their love of the Model S up to that eco-friendly slant he's accused them of. Though he's also always been a huge fan of car safety, his car buying decisions have always been driven by what safety features you can get on a car. He would love the Model S for it's safety.