TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wall Street Journal Model 3 AWD Performance Review-Buckle Up

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Hasbro1, Jul 19, 2018.

1. Hasbro1

Hasbro1 Member

• Love x 4
    • Informative x 3
  2. 3inthree

3inthree Supporting Member

"I’m no financial analyst, but I do know cars. If you were hoping Tesla would fail on account of the Model 3 I’ve got bad news: This thing is magnificent, a little rainbow-farting space ship, so obviously representative of the next step in the history of autos. I know there are a lot of Tesla bears, haters and cynics out there. Tesla boss Elon Musk makes it easy. But in the spirit of charity I think we can all agree many brilliant people are putzes."

Love it!

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  3. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Anybody want to post the video or review? I dont have a subscription.

• Like x 2
  4. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

Other highlights:

"In the Performance version, two motors north and south equal 335 kW (450 hp) and digitally mastered all-wheel drive, with corner-exiting acceleration that will leave average BMW M4s with a soft auf Wiedersehen.":p

"The Model 3 is more than futuristic. It’s optimistic. This is what ordinary cars should be, which is to say, better than they are."

"But the car is a star. Doubters will have to bring it. Show me another car with an all-glass roof and five-star rollover crash rating. Point out another $80,000 sedan that out-clouds a Rolls-Royce, out-punches a Porsche Boxster and gets an electric equivalent of 116 mpg. You can’t, unless you’re building something in your garage we don’t know about."

"Build quality: Beta-phase Model 3s had pretty awful panel-gap tolerances—even the show car at the 2017 Los Angeles Auto Show....

But the cars I’ve driven are very straight, with uniform panel gaps. The wind noise around the windows that some early testers had noted was nowhere to be heard. Looks like the robots got the memo."

• Like x 5
    • Love x 3
  5. EinSV

EinSV Active Member

Google Tesla Model 3 thrilling modern marvel -- should take you to the full article.

6. JonathanD

JonathanD Member

I feel bad for the author, he's about to face the wrath of the shorts.

• Funny x 9
    • Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. Park2670

Park2670 Member

Thanks for the post, and the Google search recommendation.

8. sooner

sooner Member

Did the author or Wall Street Journal post a review of the RWD LR Model 3 prior?

9. 30seconds

30seconds Active Member

Dan Neil is one of the top reviewers across all publications. He does not tolerate bullshit and I’ve always found his reviews to be entertaining as heck.

• Informative x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  10. Funkmobile

Funkmobile Member

Anyone want to comment on how significant is this blurb:

• Helpful x 1
  11. juanmedina

juanmedina Member

this is exciting. I wonder if the Base performance version suspension is the same.

12. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

#12 ℬête Noire, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    We've been hearing rumblings around here by the race track crowd that the square 20" option was unlikely to cut it on the track against the M3 because of a lack of width (thus contact area). I think this is an unsurprising comment, seems fair for what the Performance is aimed at and capable of.

13. SD_Engnr

SD_Engnr Member

I swear this just sounds like a general description of the standard model 3 suspension bits... Am I wrong, or is the performance 3 actually getting an upgraded suspension? And yes, many of us had a feeling that the square 235 tire setup would be weak.

• Like x 2
  14. AlexanderAF

AlexanderAF Member

I’m pretty certain he confused the horsepower with the AWD model.

• Like x 1
  15. Moderatefan

Moderatefan Member

I'll play a bear.

We had plenty of good reviews. They will not change the situation drastically. We need:

1. Sustained 5K. Currently not happening per
    Found a LOT of Model 3's in a Tesla lot - Pictures inside

We Set Out to Crack Tesla's Biggest Mystery: How Many Model 3s It's Making

Tesla Pushes Up Delivery Schedule For New Model 3 Orders

2. Manifestation of new strong demand from outside the reservation line. This is TBD.

Bears point is that w/o the tax credit nobody will be able to afford the car. Plus there's no demand outside fanboys.

It will be very interesting to see order dynamics in Q4, once there's less tax credit expectation and there's been more marketing exposure from test drives and Q3 deliveries. Q3 I feel may still be a question mark as far as future dynamics.

• Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  16. tracksyde

tracksyde Member

Ive never heard the RWD shocks referred to as "twin tube" (but then again, I never heard the RWD shocks talked about at all). Also, the aluminum upper A arm would be different since I think last I saw, the RWD upper A arm was not aluminum (more like plastic?)

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  17. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

It's some sort of polymer over a steel core, I believe. Which, yes, is weird.

• Informative x 1
  18. ℬête Noire

ℬête Noire Active Member

Yes, mix in some recycled factory process FUD and more "they'll run out of money", and that's likely to be the new set of talking points because they have an air of plausibility to them.

Goal post move, sorted. ;)

• Like x 4
  19. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

You know what would have been better... a video review.

20. Electroman

Electroman Active Member

The first ever review of a Tesla that I read was from Dan Neil in 2012. I was blown away.