Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Street Journal reviews M3 Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excerpt From the Wall Street Journal - "I’m no financial analyst, but I do know cars. If you were hoping Tesla would fail on account of the Model 3 I’ve got bad news: This thing is magnificent, a little rainbow-farting space ship, so obviously representative of the next step in the history of autos. I know there are a lot of Tesla bears, haters and cynics out there. Tesla boss Elon Musk makes it easy. But in the spirit of charity I think we can all agree many brilliant people are putzes. The Model 3 is more than futuristic. It’s optimistic. This is what ordinary cars should be, which is to say, better than they are."

IMO - You can extend most of this to the M3 LR as well.

First Test Drive of the Tesla Model 3 Performance: A Thrilling, Modern Marvel

Thought it was interesting he criticized the stick of the performance Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires. I'll take a leap and assume he meant they needed to be wider than 235. Would 265's fit in the front?

265s are out of spec for an 8.5" rim (though some folks do it anyway on other cars)... dunno if they'd rub or anything though

Musk says staggered with wider rear for best performance, so might could do 265 rear 235 front

Last edited:
Thought it was interesting he criticized the stick of the performance Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tires. I'll take a leap and assume he meant they needed to be wider than 235. Would 265's fit in the front?

Well the PS4 tires are custom for Tesla with a treadwear rating of 500 instead of the normal 300. So they aren't as sticky as an off-the-shelf version. (Or at least that is the rumor.)

• Informative
Reactions: ℬête Noire
Well the PS4 tires are custom for Tesla with a treadwear rating of 500 instead of the normal 300. So they aren't as sticky as an off-the-shelf version. (Or at least that is the rumor.)

A rumor musk seems to have confirmed on twitter tonight.

Interestingly he suggests sticker tires could get you 3.3 OR BETTER on the P.

Which suggests the folks who skipped the performance upgrade option and plan to put the 300 treadwear PS4s on their aeros will be quicker than the performance package folks... (especially if they go wider)

Excerpt From the Wall Street Journal - "I’m no financial analyst, but I do know cars. If you were hoping Tesla would fail on account of the Model 3 I’ve got bad news: This thing is magnificent, a little rainbow-farting space ship, so obviously representative of the next step in the history of autos. I know there are a lot of Tesla bears, haters and cynics out there. Tesla boss Elon Musk makes it easy. But in the spirit of charity I think we can all agree many brilliant people are putzes. The Model 3 is more than futuristic. It’s optimistic. This is what ordinary cars should be, which is to say, better than they are."

IMO - You can extend most of this to the M3 LR as well.

First Test Drive of the Tesla Model 3 Performance: A Thrilling, Modern Marvel
First Test Drive of the Tesla Model 3 Performance: A Thrilling, Moder…

Yeah that review had a lot of garnish but was missing the meat and potatoes. I’m looking forward to a real in depth review from an actual automotive publication.
You'll probably have to wait for that until next month. Obviously, a newspaper column isn't going to get too far into anything due to space. Nonetheless, obviously the WSJ reviewer was highly impressed. And, I can personally say that I'm very happy with my M3 LR. Everyone that has ridden in it likes it a lot as well. The most common comment has been, "That was fun!" and "I want one."

FYI for most wallstreet journal article is you grab the title, jump out to google and google the title then jump in from a google link it will usually let you in.
There is usually a per month limit on that. I've been told you can get around the limit by switching your browser window/tab into "private"/"stealth" mode, or whatever your browser calls it when you don't want the pr0n sites to show up in your URL history.

Use an InPriviate or incognito browser tab, go to Google.com, search for the article title. That should get it for you.
Thanks, that did it.

Yes, that article was light on actual content, but long on enthusiasm and praise. Also, some inaccuracies. For example, this statement “...the deep-draft aluminum body panels... ”

My understanding is the Model 3 has steel body panel, not aluminum. But I don’t work for Tesla, so I could be wrong...

Thanks, that did it.

Yes, that article was light on actual content, but long on enthusiasm and praise. Also, some inaccuracies. For example, this statement “...the deep-draft aluminum body panels... ”
My understanding is the Model 3 has steel body panel, not aluminum. But I don’t work for Tesla, so I could be wrong...

IMO, the article was written without or before even driving the car. He waxes poetic about the wood dash on the white interior... we know the white doesn't have a wood dash. The rest is just fluff that we already knew...
We need some real hands on reviews with substance.