Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Street Journal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

vfx

Aug 18, 2006
CA CA
Did I miss this?

Testing the Tesla Roadster Electric Sports Car - WSJ.com

I searched !

OB-EB163_tesla__G_20090713145929.jpg

And other than some charging wrongness...
According to the touch-screen display to the left of the steering wheel, we're charging at a rate of a mile every three minutes on Tesla's 24-amp plug.

It actually sounds like my "review".

Last edited:
There looks to be an error in the slide show info...

"The Ford Focus runs on a 100 kw lithium-ion battery capable of running 100 miles on a single charge"...pretty crappy range for a 100 kw battery :biggrin:...besides, according to Mr. E, it'll "take at best" 14 hours to charge! :wink:

There looks to be an error in the slide show info...

"The Ford Focus runs on a 100 kw lithium-ion battery capable of running 100 miles on a single charge"...pretty crappy range for a 100 kw battery :biggrin:...besides, according to Mr. E, it'll "take at best" 14 hours to charge! :wink:

Don't confuse KW with KWh. KW is a measure of power (think horsepower) while KWh is a unit of energy (roughly range/"gas tank" size). 100 KW is a little less than half what the Roadster has, and would mean that the Focus is probably slightly underpowered.

Don't confuse KW with KWh. KW is a measure of power (think horsepower) while KWh is a unit of energy (roughly range/"gas tank" size). 100 KW is a little less than half what the Roadster has, and would mean that the Focus is probably slightly underpowered.

100kW is probably sufficient to provide "adequate" acceleration. The Focus doesn't aspire to be a supercar...
It is in the same league with the Leaf.

100kW is probably sufficient to provide "adequate" acceleration. The Focus doesn't aspire to be a supercar...
It is in the same league with the Leaf.

I guess I've just gotten spoiled. I've forgotten just what it was like to drive a 1.8L VW/Porsche 914 that had ~100HP. Seemed fun at the time, but after a long succession of more powerful cars (leading up to the Roadster), it sounds wimpy. On the other hand, the 914 handled wonderfully, probably better than the Roadster.

Also, power isn't the limit at low speed, torque is so I bet that the EV Focus will feel peppier than the ICE one, at least up to ~30MPH.