Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Unit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I get my Model X I am planning on using a dedicated 220V 50 amp wall plug I had installed when I built the house for future electric car use. Is there any advantage to getting the dedicated wall unit? I did not opt for the high amp charging option.

When I get my Model X I am planning on using a dedicated 220V 50 amp wall plug I had installed when I built the house for future electric car use. Is there any advantage to getting the dedicated wall unit? I did not opt for the high amp charging option.
the standard charger is 48 amps which will require a 60 amp breaker, the 50 amp circuit you have will charge at 40 amps so only an 8amp difference. If you are charging overnight you wont see a difference, save 500 bucks and let it be.

Is there any advantage to getting the dedicated wall unit? I
In your case, since you did not get the 72A charger, there is no advantage except:

1) having an HPWC (the "wall unit") means you can keep the UMC that comes with the X in the car at all times instead of having to remember to take it with you on a road trip where you have planned to charge at a destination using the UMC, and

2) the HPWC looks cool in your garage.

For $500 plus installation, why not? You're spending over $90,000 on a car. Go for it. :cool:

I agree w/ ecarfan, but also if you ever plan to get another Tesla, it will likely be easier to set up another wall charger w/ power sharing, which would be useful since it sounds like this will max your pannel. Of course, this is dependent on the tech staying compatible in the future.