Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walnut Creek area tire shop recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waking this thread up just to put in another good word for America's Tire in Walnut Creek. They just repaired two tires on my S85D. The manager of this store used to be the manager of the Dublin store...he knows a fair amount about Teslas, most importantly about raising air suspension and jack mode, jack points on the Model S, and torque for the lug nuts...and he made a special note about jack mode on the work order so the techs in the back knew about it too.

When it's time to get a new set of tires, I'm going to give them a call.

Bruce.

I was at the WC America's Tire 2 weeks ago for a routine wheel balance/rotate (every 5000-6000 miles) on my 2013 S85. I bought my 2nd set of Goodyear Eagle RS (old original OEM 19" tires) there. They match Tier Rack prices. Only do tires--no upset for brakes, etc (...but do not do alignments). Made an on-line appointment. Showed up. They were on time, fast, friendly. Understand Tesla well. No problems figuring out SAS and jack mode. Careful with the lug nuts (the original ones have wimpy foil caps)--hand checked the torque. I have switched from Wheel Works (my prior go-to tire shop in WC)...had some prior less than optimal experiences and 'upsells'. All good.

Thank you for posting about this place!

I first made an appointment at the Dublin SC, but they were very rude, had no idea what tires I needed, were not interested in answering any questions or providing solutions, and were unwilling to give me a quote on the TPMS upgrade (probably so they could charge me as much as possible). They lost my appointment information and did not have my tires in stock, even though my appointment was for later that day. They also said they would need my car for up to 3 days and would loan me a gas car (gasp) or maybe an electric car, if available. I canceled my appointment and made one for the very next day with American Tires.

I took my 2014 Model S to American Tires in Walnut Creek and they did a great job. Like other reviewers stated, they knew exactly what tires I needed, how to set the car into jack mode, etc. They were very polite and were willing to answer all of my questions. They said I was the 7th Tesla they worked on that day and while I was waiting for my appointment, a Model 3 came in for some new tires. I'd say it is safe to say they know how to work on our cars. Please note this location is VERY busy. Call and make an appointment.

Sadly, American Tires was not able to reset my TPMS because Tesla has found a way to block the sensors. They replaced the surrounding TPMS hardware and I paid extra for 'lifetime' replacement tires. Still cost me less than if I went to the Dublin SC. I have no idea what they would have charged me for labor, but I think I saved at least $400. I highly recommend American Tires in Walnut Creek and wish there was a different SC than Dublin- they are terrible.

I took my 2014 Model S to American Tires in Walnut Creek and they did a great job. Like other reviewers stated, they knew exactly what tires I needed, how to set the car into jack mode, etc. They were very polite and were willing to answer all of my questions. They said I was the 7th Tesla they worked on that day and while I was waiting for my appointment, a Model 3 came in for some new tires. I'd say it is safe to say they know how to work on our cars. Please note this location is VERY busy. Call and make an appointment.

Sadly, American Tires was not able to reset my TPMS because Tesla has found a way to block the sensors. They replaced the surrounding TPMS hardware and I paid extra for 'lifetime' replacement tires. Still cost me less than if I went to the Dublin SC. I have no idea what they would have charged me for labor, but I think I saved at least $400. I highly recommend American Tires in Walnut Creek and wish there was a different SC than Dublin- they are terrible.

@Mary Berry, I am glad that America's Tire worked out! I didn't update this thread with my actual tire-purchasing experience but last fall I bought a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4s from America's Tire in Walnut Creek and had them install them on my Model S. It went pretty much as I expected...no drama, they knew what they were doing, did a great job and had me out the door in about 90 minutes. (As you indicated they are very busy, so yes one should have an appointment. I did mine on-line.) Another Model S arrived while they were working on mine.

When I went to leave, my car was complaining about the tire pressure, so I pulled back into the parking lot and called Tesla Roadside Assistance. The person I talked to was not a whole lot of help, but by flailing around in the settings screen on the CID I was able to reset the TPMS system. I needed to drive around a little bit (as is usual) for them to start registering a valid pressure...I vaguely remember seeing a warning on the IC until that happened. No problems after that.

Bruce.

PS. On the subject of service centers, do note that in the Bay Area we have a lot of choices, depending on how far one is willing to drive. But for tires I'd probably go back to this America's Tire location.

@Mary Berry, I am glad that America's Tire worked out! I didn't update this thread with my actual tire-purchasing experience but last fall I bought a set of Michelin Primacy MXM4s from America's Tire in Walnut Creek and had them install them on my Model S. It went pretty much as I expected...no drama, they knew what they were doing, did a great job and had me out the door in about 90 minutes. (As you indicated they are very busy, so yes one should have an appointment. I did mine on-line.) Another Model S arrived while they were working on mine.

When I went to leave, my car was complaining about the tire pressure, so I pulled back into the parking lot and called Tesla Roadside Assistance. The person I talked to was not a whole lot of help, but by flailing around in the settings screen on the CID I was able to reset the TPMS system. I needed to drive around a little bit (as is usual) for them to start registering a valid pressure...I vaguely remember seeing a warning on the IC until that happened. No problems after that.

Bruce.

PS. On the subject of service centers, do note that in the Bay Area we have a lot of choices, depending on how far one is willing to drive. But for tires I'd probably go back to this America's Tire location.

@bmah, thank you for all of your informative posts! I've tried resetting by holding down the two buttons on the steering wheel and by resetting in the settings screen. I will try the setting screen again, now that I have new tires. However, I think I need to upgrade to the new TPMS system (monitors each tire individually). American Tires would not replace the actual sensors because they said they were not old enough to fail, but since they could not read/reset them, they could not confirm their status. I read on other posts that people paid around $400-$650 for the upgrade. I also read that someone purchased new original sensors and had someone install them and they are working fine with the non upgraded TPMS. Still debating on what to do. I realize we are lucky to have multiple SC in the area...but when they "can't" give me an estimate over the phone, driving to each location for a quote/diagnostic fees- it seem a bit exhausting and would probably cost more money in the end.

Also, I realize our cars are a luxury and can be costly to maintain. I love my Tesla and will be a Tesla owner for life. My issue is only when people/SC are rude and force upgrades at inconsistent prices, just because they can.