Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walt Disney World

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to wonder if Disney is developing a new relationship with Nova Charge with a possibilty of providing some actual charging infrastructue. The possibility of waiting for government subsidy is a very valid point. Also for the mass market to develop more although the current situation speaks to the need for more chargers.

So far as I can tell, Disney has absolutely zero desire to be out ahead of the EV surge on charging. They've installed a few units, enough to be able to say to anyone who asks or goes looking for the info online that they have EV charging available. But that's as far as they're going to go until it becomes woefully obvious that their EV infrastructure is seriously lacking and they start getting lots of complaints. At that point, they'll put in some more. But they aren't trying to be in a position where they are meeting the need before it's apparent. Until that attitude changes, they'll always be behind the curve.

Reactions: jrreno and BrownMS
So far as I can tell, Disney has absolutely zero desire to be out ahead of the EV surge on charging. They've installed a few units, enough to be able to say to anyone who asks or goes looking for the info online that they have EV charging available. But that's as far as they're going to go until it becomes woefully obvious that their EV infrastructure is seriously lacking and they start getting lots of complaints. At that point, they'll put in some more. But they aren't trying to be in a position where they are meeting the need before it's apparent. Until that attitude changes, they'll always be behind the curve.
I agree because Disney is all about the money. They view charging as an amenity that costs , not as a profit center.

Reactions: X Fan
Ok, so I just found this thread. We have Model S Teslas since May of 2014 and we are annual passholders. It is very convenient for us to drive the 2 hours to Disney, plug in for the day and have enough charge to drive home without supercharging. I am happy to pay the $10-$18 to Charpoint for the privilege. It is now also impossible!
With the explosion of 3s and Ys and all the other plug in models there is no chance of getting a charger after 10am. In addition it appears that all the Chargepoints at Magic Kingdom have been vandalized to the point that when I did get a spot I had to get Chargepoint on the phone to activate the charger. I have never been able to get a spot at Hollywood Studios.Four charge points at each park is a cruel joke. No charging at the resorts that now charge for parking is an insult.
I have noticed that the Orange Garage chargers have replaced the Chargepoint with Nova Charge which are nice new J1772 chargers. Of course I had trouble activating them, after much trial and error and no help from customer support I managed to get a charge.
Bottom line, Disney needs to seriously upgrade their charging infrastructure. The current situation is a joke.
Does anyone know how to productively communicate with Disney management?
Just an update, when we were at the Magic Kingdom a month ago the Chargepoints that had been broken were all replaced with new units. Got there at 10am and were able to plug in.

• Informative
Reactions: voxel and mociaf9