Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want a Model S Estate... Your dream may come true

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you were hoping to hear transcripts of every communication between Tesla and the project runners with annotated sources of every detail discussed, I suggest asking the people building this car directly. Nobody here is involved in this car's reconstruction and that information would be far too boring to be included in a short project log made for entertainment.
Exactly, everyone here watched the same short video, hence my question of what in the video they interpreted as car fully serviceable and covered by full Tesla warranty. For example, your own quote:
Yes the car will receive updates and serviced as a normal Tesla (aside from obvious body issues from modifications). This is all covered in the video.
Did you infer this from the statement that they called Tesla and Tesla told them they have no problem with it and will not disable their car? Or did I miss some part of the video where they claimed the car will be fully serviceable and covered by the original warranty by Tesla? Also, what does "aside from obvious body issues from modifications" mean? Say Tesla goes to replace a faulty Takata airbag that resided in the roofline, they take the old one out but since it was modified, the tech doesn't know how to safely put the new one back in - do they just leave the roof in pieces with the airbag hanging out and return it to the owner as "the obvious issue with modification"?

By the way, I have not problem with the project, just trying to understand how people interpreted the video the way they did here.

Model S is already an estate really. Why you would need a slightly more curved back is when you have a giant liftback is completly beyond me. It already fits more than most wagons.

What kind of comment is that? The Model S offers nothing in terms of trunk space/usability compared to a wagon, say like E-class T-model, Audi Avant, BMW touring, Volvo V90 and the like.
The Model S offers a lot of cubic feet of total cargo volume, but it is far from usable, especially with bulky cargo. A wagon is just a more practical alternative, and - beauty lies in the eye of the beholder after all - far more attractive, imho of course.

Modified bodywork isn't a small thing. The harnesses and sensors will be different, found in different places. If rear drive unit service requires removal of rear bumper and the bumper is custom, they won't have a step by step how to take it apart and put back together.

Did you actually read the comment you were replying to or watch the video?
The bumper will remain totally stock, as will everything below the "waistline", i.e. rear light assemblies and down.
The only thing they will have to worry about in terms of electronics are the rear upper brake lights and the (new) rear window wiper.

These guys are no amateurs. They even have Pilkington manufacturing bespoke rear and rear side as well as rear roof glass windows for them. The final product will have an almost as-from-the-factory look to it, no doubt about that.

What kind of comment is that? The Model S offers nothing in terms of trunk space/usability compared to a wagon, say like E-class T-model, Audi Avant, BMW touring, Volvo V90 and the like.
The Model S offers a lot of cubic feet of total cargo volume, but it is far from usable, especially with bulky cargo. A wagon is just a more practical alternative, and - beauty lies in the eye of the beholder after all - far more attractive, imho of course.

There isn't really much difference in the height you get with a BMW 5 series compared to an S. I am also not sure what sort of load you are thinking about which occupies the entire booth of a 5 series. Maybe it is time to get a trailer?

As in, the car will continue to receive updates, or that they will service the modded car as if it was a regular Tesla? Where in the video (time) did you hear that?

Why would Tesla do that, at best the customer is content, at worst very pissed off at the bill - "sorry, out mechanics are only trained for stock cars, we had to fly in a guy from California at $500/hr". No upside for Tesla. Now, if you're saying that people who pay for the mod don't care about dropping an extra $20K per service, then ok, I get your point, but then why not just say the garage that did the mod will service the car, the only thing Tesla will do is not shut the car and its updates down.

The mod is just the top and back of the car.
They aren't changing the electronics or powertrain.
Motor unit replacement. No different.
Brakes. No different.
Wheels and tires. No different.
Windshield wipers and washer fluid. No different.
Software update. No different.
Rear bumper replacement. No different.

Unless the owner has a problem that requires work in the area affected, which should be rare, it will not be any different.
Even if it requires work in the affected area, the mod company should be able to provide information that allows Tesla service to remove interior lining that will allow access wiring in the rear. That won't require someone to be flown in from California, but it might require a bit more tech time.

If there are issues that affect the mods themselves (such as bodywork damage), _that_ will require the mod company to do work.

Last edited:
Reactions: AustinPowers
There isn't really much difference in the height you get with a BMW 5 series compared to an S. I am also not sure what sort of load you are thinking about which occupies the entire booth of a 5 series. Maybe it is time to get a trailer?

I don't understand what you are talking about.
The interior trunk dimensions of a Model S and a 5-series Touring or any other estate/wagon are wildly different.
As for what sort of load, all kinds of stuff. Ever been to a home improvement store, IKEA, furniture store, etc? Over here, people who shop there usually have an estate/wagon, minivan or crossover. No need for anything as fancy as a trailer.
That's the whole point of the aforementioned customization project, to make the Model S into something a little more practically useful - at least for the European market. I get it that in the US people buy a pickup truck or get a trailer for such stuff, but remember that we have to economise in that our roads, car parks, parking garages etc. are all not designed for cars of US style dimensions.

Why not just get a Model X (5 seats) if you need more trunk for your dog pets.

And also you get towing capability to carry horses using a van trailer,
something very exclusive and stylish for British aristocrats.

520235_equi-trek-trail-treka-m_photo_1_1506604375_img.jpg

trailer-header.jpg

I've had a Volvo XC70 and a BMW 5-series touring as late as earlier this year. The Volvo was amazing. Way superior to the BMW.

However, when we packed for our summer holiday I couldn't believe how much you could fit into the Model S. I actually think we got room for more bags and stuff than ever before. Don't forget to put stuff under the floor in the back and in the frunk.

But yeah, if you're going to drive a coach, bed or a full size fridge in the car you're better off with a wagon. One problem with the Model S is also that the floor isn't perfectly flat when you pull down the back seat.

The mod is just the top and back of the car.
They aren't changing the electronics or powertrain.
Motor unit replacement. No different.
Brakes. No different.
Wheels and tires. No different.
Windshield wipers and washer fluid. No different.
Software update. No different.
Rear bumper replacement. No different.

Unless the owner has a problem that requires work in the area affected, which should be rare, it will not be any different.
Even if it requires work in the affected area, the mod company should be able to provide information that allows Tesla service to remove interior lining that will allow access wiring in the rear. That won't require someone to be flown in from California, but it might require a bit more tech time.

If there are issues that affect the mods themselves (such as bodywork damage), _that_ will require the mod company to do work.

If there's one thing I know about warranty service work at the dealer (any manufacturer) and vehicle modifications, they don't go well together. Regardless on whether the modification affects the work being performed, companies love denying your warranty at any chance they get. I don't even think Tesla would service these unless some agreement is made prior to production.

If this was a factory option if would have made the perfect car even perfecter. This mod will probably be too pricey and too inconvenient for me to consider, otherwise I'd have done it in a heartbeat.

Same here. This mod alone would make the third row usable for adults. I've always owned wagons, and love them. Some people like SUVs, I won't fault them for that. Others sedans, I'm one of them. Others will never own an SUV but will absolutely own a wagon, I'm one of them too, I'll take a wagon over a sedan every time I can make that decision.

WhiteX, your questions need to be directed to the people performing this modification, those of us that interpreted the video's intentionally not-in-great-detail discussion of "covered by warranty and OK with Tesla because none of the electronics are touched" are OK with their explanation, but if you're intending to have them perform the same mods to your car and need the same official stamp of approval they sought out before beginning, you won't get it from this forum. You'll either need to contact the people that already have that approval, or seek out your own approvals directly from Tesla as they did before starting.

If this becomes a reasonably priced coachbuild modification I can purchase, I will do the same. I would expect any service providers to have that documented assurance readily available for buyers, and if they cannot get it I will not go ahead with the modification, exactly as these builders state their build hinged on that contact with Tesla before work could begin. I had the opportunity to inspect one of the Sultan of Brunei's Ferrari 456 Estate modified cars a number of years ago (as well as an example of his 456 convertible conversion) and fell in love with it. A converted Tesla is to me a better car in every way, and just as bizarrely rare.

Last edited:
If there's one thing I know about warranty service work at the dealer (any manufacturer) and vehicle modifications, they don't go well together. Regardless on whether the modification affects the work being performed, companies love denying your warranty at any chance they get. I don't even think Tesla would service these unless some agreement is made prior to production.
Almost ALL modern convertibles for the last 30 years have been made by coach builders (now called contract manufacturers).

do your own internet search
auto contract manufacturers

How many can you count?

and you might even try search for folding hard top roofs, such as
who builds auto folding roofs for OEMs

• Informative
Reactions: NeverFollow
Almost ALL modern convertibles for the last 30 years have been made by coach builders (now called contract manufacturers).

do your own internet search
auto contract manufacturers

How many can you count?

and you might even try search for folding hard top roofs, such as
who builds auto folding roofs for OEMs
I feel like
unless an agreement is made prior to production
sums up how "contract manufacturers" work

If Tesla wanted a convertible Model S, wouldn't they approach a company beforehand to contract the work to?
Please enlighten me

Come on guys. Surely you can learn to do internet searches? Just type in your question to a search engine. After reviewing what you find, then it would be nice if you posted your new knowledge (and links) for the benefit of us all on the TMC Forums.
As far as I know, Tesla has not worked with any "contract" builders. They have their hands full, right?
But here is one convertible maker, Newport Engineering founded in 1983.
Tesla Model S Convertible