Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want My Model X Reservation? It's ready to configure now!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all -

I love the Model X. However, I don't need a 2nd car right now. My wife and I don't have kids and have relocated to NYC, so a 2nd ultra roomy vehicle like the X doesn't make sense for our needs. We'll be just fine with our 2014 Model S P90!

I'm reservation #64 and was invited to configure now. PM me or email at williamsburg at gmail dot come if interested.

Best,

Justin

I know Tesla does not want to see you sell a reservation, but I doubt if there really is a term somewhere saying you can't transfer it ??

Assuming mutual trusting is not an issue (the buyer will pay $5000 + maybe some premium to the seller, and the seller is fully operative in giving the reservation away), what would be the issue if the original owner just completely change the owner's information (it's merely email address, name, phone number and address), or let the system know that they should contract another person (the new owner) instead of himself, as shown in the attached picture ?

order owner.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for pointing it out. OK, fine, if it's not transferrable, why would they let you change the person who should be contacted to follow up the order, even to change every piece of info of the primary owner ?

I think the "Contact this person instead of me" shown in post #6 is meant for folks (e.g. celebrities) with business managers who handle such mundane tasks as configuring, paying for, and arranging for delivery of new vehicles -- tasks that most of us on TMC seem to obsess over! :biggrin:

I have a reservation number ~2000. Ready to configure.

If any one wants it, I am happy to sell the spot.

Based on a discussion with my Tesla store I understand that if you buy cash, they will give you the MSO to register the car yourself. This means I could buy the car cash, and sell the car with MSO to you to register as the first owner. This would allow you in principle to claim the tax credit as well (I think - correct me if I am wrong).

Let me know if anyone is interested?

I've spoken to Telsa a couple times about this, admittedly some lower level support folks. Short story is that there is no easy way to do this and Tesla will not formally allow you to do it. So, I'm going to simply cancel my reservation - too much headache - and simply enjoy our P90, which after 2 years continues to be my favorite car of all time!

I have a reservation number ~2000. Ready to configure.

If any one wants it, I am happy to sell the spot.

Based on a discussion with my Tesla store I understand that if you buy cash, they will give you the MSO to register the car yourself. This means I could buy the car cash, and sell the car with MSO to you to register as the first owner. This would allow you in principle to claim the tax credit as well (I think - correct me if I am wrong).

Let me know if anyone is interested?

Would the sales tax then be collected twice? Once by the original purchaser, then again by the second buyer. The one to register the car first would seem to be the one eligible for the federal tax credit.

If this will help:

In Missouri, the *usual* way to title a new car is for the car company to send the owner the MSO. The owner then takes the MSO to a title office and pays the sales tax. There is no way for a dealer to handle the titling paperwork directly, as far as I know.

When we bought our MS, we paid cash, and the MSO came in the mail from California a couple of weeks later.