Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want new HID headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am interested in replacing my lights with HIDs.......I live in Irvine, Ca and wondering if anyone has experience with this and if they know a place where it can be done......also, any guesses at what it would cost......thanks in advance

you want to retrofit the old one? i believe the wiring is different. its funny because some people with the old style want to "refresh" their car by installing the new one.
yes...here I think I need a new headlamp assembly......did the replacement on my truck and did the wiring and ballasts with new bulbs.....here I need the new assembly and I can tap into main wiring harness to get switched power and mount ballast.....just need someone to tell me what light assembly I need and if there is a shop that can do it for me reasonably

I just got done upgrading my daughters 2012 Ford Fusion from Halogen to HID, here is how I did it:
How to Retrofit 2010-2012 Fusion without opening lens - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

Fairly easy, had to remove the front bumper cover, and mode the headlights to install the new bi-xenon projectors. They are freaking amazing compared to the stockers. I also updated the fogs with HID in 3000K for a nice yellow fog cutting light.. Also Ford had the damn things pointed at the ground. I pulled the specs for fogs and aligned them and the headlights using a laser level, and no one has flashed me with the new setup and more importantly my daughter can now see at night on her 3 hour drive on country roads back to school. Also the high beams are now the bi-xenons plus the regular hi-beams... which is crazy bright and throws a nice clean beam using the Bi-Xenon: Morimoto EVOX-R 2.0 - HID Projectors - Components

Here is the SAE Specs for aiming - checked my Model 'S's and both the them were not aimed right either...

Point your fog lights and driving lights in the right direction.

My next project is to add bi-xenons to my 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser

How to do the install on an FJ -Official HID Retrofit Thread

There are several options for custom work just make sure they use Morimoto Elite or better ballasts and 6000K bulbs with EVX-R 2.0 HID projectors. all in with labor and parts (you provide the original headlights to be retrofitted), should be around $1200. Also Morimoto Elite, just announced Laser headlight retrofits... which is what I may jump to if its reasonable.

https://www.sickhids.com

Services — Evil Headlights | Custom Retrofitting Service in Southern California

Services

Headlight Junkies

Last edited:
I just got done upgrading my daughters 2012 Ford Fusion from Halogen to HID, here is how I did it:
How to Retrofit 2010-2012 Fusion without opening lens - FordFusionClub.com : The #1 Ford Fusion Forum

Fairly easy, Had to remove the front bumper cover, and mode the Headlights to install the new bi-xenon projectors. They are freaking amazing compared to the stockers. I also updated the fogs with HID in 3000K for a nice yellow fog cutting light.. Also ford had the damn things pointed at the ground. I pulled the specs for fog align and headlight alignment, and no one has flashed me with the new setup and more importantly my daughter can now see at night on her 3 hour drive on country roads back to school.

My next project is to add bi-xenons to my FJ Cruiser -
2007-2014 Toyota FJ Cruiser

There is also a guy the does this custom for like $1200..
I would pay someone $1200 if they could do mine.....the Tacoma I did was easy bit for me the first time, took a little linger but it worked......hardest thing was mounting the rt side ballast.....had to figure our how to remove the stupid washer tank......but I agree, HIDs are much better the why I have now.....for some reason my wife's 2019 Model 3 lights are absolutely outstanding....I want something that goos in my Model S

Fairly easy, had to remove the front bumper cover, and mode the headlights to install the new bi-xenon projectors. They are freaking amazing compared to the stockers. I also updated the fogs with HID in 3000K for a nice yellow fog cutting light.. Also Ford had the damn things pointed at the ground. I pulled the specs for fogs and aligned them and the headlights using a laser level, and no one has flashed me with the new setup and more importantly my daughter can now see at night on her 3 hour drive on country roads back to school. Also the high beams are now the bi-xenons plus the regular hi-beams... which is crazy bright and throws a nice clean beam using the Bi-Xenon: Morimoto EVOX-R 2.0 - HID Projectors - Components

Here is the SAE Specs for aiming - checked my Model 'S's and both the them were not aimed right either...

There are several options for custom work just make sure they use Morimoto Elite or better ballasts and 6000K bulbs with EVX-R 2.0 HID projectors. all in with labor and parts (you provide the original headlights to be retrofitted), should be around $1200. Also Morimoto Elite, just announced Laser headlight retrofits... which is what I may jump to if its reasonable.

Services

Headlight Junkies

halogen to HID still use the same "shape" which is 1 bulb circle. Have you seen the LED lights on the refresh? its a collection of small LEDs (4 of them?) in a row that form to create a singular beam. This is not something that can easily be retrofitted with HIDs. You'd either have to recreate an enclosure to use 1 bulb or get 4 tiny HID bulbs with 4 ballast to fit in the 4 slots?

Replacing the entire headlight to the pre-refresh which still uses 1 bulb is going to be much easier

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
halogen to HID still use the same "shape" which is 1 bulb circle. Have you seen the LED lights on the refresh? its a collection of small LEDs (4 of them?) in a row that form to create a singular beam. This is not something that can easily be retrofitted with HIDs. You'd either have to recreate an enclosure to use 1 bulb or get 4 tiny HID bulbs with 4 ballast to fit in the 4 slots?

Replacing the entire headlight to the pre-refresh which still uses 1 bulb is going to be much easier
yes I know...I did that on the Tacoma....and I really want HIDs for the Model S

Services

Headlight Junkies
I did a whole lot of research on the project and Morimoto......the Morimoto has had a lot of talk about "bouncing" and noise from their ballasts.....Thr HIDs are just better and have more throw then the LEDs.....LEDs are also hotter than HIDs and that is why most have a fan....

Are the MS lights “aimable” at all? They appear fixed to me, in a larger assembly....
“Model 3 Headlight Adjustments

To adjust the angle of the headlights, touch Controls > Service > Adjust Headlights, then follow the onscreen instructions. You can choose which headlight you would like to adjust by selecting it on the touchscreen.
Warning: Proceed with caution when adjusting headlights. Tesla has carefully calibrated the position of the headlights to be in an optimum position for most driving scenarios. Tesla recommends that you do not adjust headlights unless you are familiar with how headlights should be adjusted. Once adjusted, you will be unable to automatically restore them to their originally calibrated position.

Contact Tesla for assistance when adjusting headlights.”

Models S preface lift Headlight adjustment

Last edited:
I'd also like HIDs in my facelift S. The LED lights really are bad. The beam pattern is all over the place and not strong enough.

I'd also like to know what were the tesla empoyees smoking when they approved this LED design to go in the facelift S. Wonder if it went like this: "I'm sure George looked at them at night, surely they work fine. Approved!"

• Disagree
Reactions: PhilDavid
Pop the hood pull up the front plastic cover and grab and Allen wrench to adjust the lights, just like the second video shows and pretty much every car made.

Understood now the confusion.

Original topic was aiming the fog lights, not the headlights. While I haven't dug into the headlights at all, I assume exactly what you say.

The fog lights, on the other hand, I *have* seen--just had a ranger replace a defective one. I couldn't believe the amount of crap that had to come off for him to get to it (to include the entire frunk & front bumper assembly). The fog lamp & the side lamp and whatever that third signature lamp is called are all in a single assembly, screwed onto the bumper assembly. No adjustments that I could see (but I certainly could be wrong...).

Understood now the confusion.

Original topic was aiming the fog lights, not the headlights. While I haven't dug into the headlights at all, I assume exactly what you say.

The fog lights, on the other hand, I *have* seen--just had a ranger replace a defective one. I couldn't believe the amount of crap that had to come off for him to get to it (to include the entire frunk & front bumper assembly). The fog lamp & the side lamp and whatever that third signature lamp is called are all in a single assembly, screwed onto the bumper assembly. No adjustments that I could see (but I certainly could be wrong...).
AAAHHHH.. Fogs on the Tesla, I have not messed with those... I bet I could pull the wheel liner and the belly pan and take a look...

Once I get the honey do list whittled down (installed new dishwasher last nite, tonite I'm installing 1of 2 UV-C lights in the HVAC systems - Honeywell UV100A1059 UV Surface Treatment System - one is back ordered... arrrrgghhhh, then continue splitting the 13 trees my neighbor cut down due to Emerald Ash Borer... already have 4 cords split and stacked, got two more to go (weekend), then open the pool, then thermonuke the mosquitos (couple more weeks - still not hatched yet) with my backpack fogger, then off to the recycle center to drop the old DW off with the old front load washer than been in my garage for a year, then pressure wash the deck, then smoke some ribs and drink a couple bourbons...

I need to get a condo, this home ownership thing is starting to suck.. it's like driving a 30 year old ICE, that needs updating every weekend.

Elon, build a house that comes with Firmware updates!

Last edited: