Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want painted calipers? Don't want to spend $600+ on them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey folks, I've gotten a few questions about my calipers. I painted them myself as I didn't want to spend the cash on getting them professionally done. I figured some others may have similar feelings so I wanted to show how I did it and of course the finished product. Each wheel took about an hour and a half total. I didn't clean the calipers prior to doing this as my car was still really new, but there are caliper cleaners you can buy if you need. I apologize up front for letting everyone down with my messy garage, not all of us Coloradians have such impeccable organizational skills!!!

Let me know if you have any questions, have a great day!

Products I used:
VHT High-temp caliper paint
  • Real orange color (2 cans)
  • Gloss clear (1 can)
High temp caliper Tesla logos from eBay
  • I got the black ones but they have other colors too

I did this one wheel at a time using a jack from Harbor Freight (3 ton I believe) and a Model 3 jack pad.
Using painters tape I taped all the parts on the caliper and the break itself, this is a fairly easy process on the front ones. In the pics below you can see I taped off the metal pins as well to keep those in good condition. I used a few white garbage bags (can see the over-spray much better than a darker bag to make sure you aren't painting anything you don't want to) to mask off the wheel well and the car itself. I slit one bag and then pulled it over the caliper to fully protect the disc and break.
J09XgoH.jpg

I sprayed the caliper with the orange 3 times, giving it about 15 minutes between each coat. I then used the clear coat for the last 2 passes. Make sure to use the spray can to get every angle, don't just spray from the front but get in the sides/bottom as well.

Closer pic of the front left caliper mid-painting job:
HqnHVGc.jpg

Notice the painters tape protecting the inner parts of the break components and the one at the top for the metal pin.
Putting the logo on took me way too long, I measured a bunch of times and made sure they were as perfect as I could get them. I applied these after they had a chance to dry for 20 minutes or so.
gJAmoFv.jpg

With the wheel back on (sorry it wasn't too clean here):
37076Zi.jpg

The rear calipers were MUCH harder to mask properly. These took me about 45 minutes alone to get the painters tape in the right spots. I had to tear each piece of tape to fit properly which took me longer than expected. I actually did the fronts one day and the rears the next weekend.
8Elmor6.jpg

Same technique using a few white garbage bags to mask of the rest of the car/wheel:
QtsPtMx.jpg

Finished the rear wheel, toyed with putting on a Tesla "T" logo or even the Model 3 "E" but decided against it:
QtsPtMx.jpg

Finished product:
16Q7vKY.jpg

Bonus middle of nowhere Utah pic:
kUxx6wm.jpg

BEST writeup I've seen so far (with pics) on how to paint these calipers DIY.
I'm on the fence trying this (never done anything like it before). I do have a quote from a reputable body shop that does custom auto stuff to do it for $250.... which does not seem that bad at all.

Given your experience, would you say $250 might be worth it? (I know you mentioned the rear ones took quite a bit of time and concentration)

BEST writeup I've seen so far (with pics) on how to paint these calipers DIY.
I'm on the fence trying this (never done anything like it before). I do have a quote from a reputable body shop that does custom auto stuff to do it for $250.... which does not seem that bad at all.

Given your experience, would you say $250 might be worth it? (I know you mentioned the rear ones took quite a bit of time and concentration)

For $250 I would say body shop all day long.

Reactions: XLR82XS and Joelc
Just gave it a shot! Wheel #1 done
Longest part was all the masking because most of us are probably gonna be OCD to not get paint anywhere it shouldn’t be.

Waiting on the white TESLA high temp decals this week (I couldn’t wait until then to paint them haha)

Saved myself hundreds of dollars. Thanks for the write up OP!

Attachments

• 03B9BFA2-07C7-48FD-B445-EBE9F6A562F0.jpeg
    03B9BFA2-07C7-48FD-B445-EBE9F6A562F0.jpeg
    330.7 KB · Views: 1,282
  • 7D90A884-0A64-40E4-B791-EE5C6DAED33D.jpeg
    7D90A884-0A64-40E4-B791-EE5C6DAED33D.jpeg
    463.9 KB · Views: 691
  • 2ADEBE96-C9FB-4DB4-84FF-D72E87C98EFC.jpeg
    2ADEBE96-C9FB-4DB4-84FF-D72E87C98EFC.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 627
Done!!! Got the high temp model 3 caliper decals and knocked out the back wheels this weekend too. Clear coat over the decals so hopefully they stand the test of time.

The back calipers were definitely a beast to mask around... goodness. I need to do some touching up (got a little bit of overspray in places as you can see haha) But overall, am happy I save myself hundreds $$$

144b1e75-d07a-49f2-9ae8-4a67a8adc21d-jpeg.401729

df9fb1d3-b621-4bfc-932d-107e848ed297-jpeg.401728

fe4c0733-bdd5-475f-9b74-3d64e015ed16-jpeg.401731

Last edited: