Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want Summon to pull to one side of the garage? Here's how

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wrt parking in garage, I would be quite happy to place a white line down the center of where I wish the car to go.
Decision process could then be, if no white line then center according to surroundings, else park on center line unless results in collision with obstacles.

I guess Elon just wants to prove the car can operate automatically without additional markings, but this would be great for those who require their car is a specific position.

What we really need now is Tesla to provide a retrofittable enhanced charge port connector that will eject the charging plug which could be supported on a simple sprung boom.
Then this feature could actually be useful more than (rather good) gimmick.

The white line is a great idea!! I would be happy with that :smile:

I just try the box trick and it work pretty well but then I have another obstruction/box in the garage that I have to walk around.

wrt parking in garage, I would be quite happy to place a white line down the center of where I wish the car to go.
Decision process could then be, if no white line then center according to surroundings, else park on center line unless results in collision with obstacles.

The white line is a good idea. I worked at a medical supply company several years ago and they had robots which would deliver parts to various locations in the building. While they had sensors to make sure they wouldn't bump into people, they did follow white lines painted on the floor. It's a very simple solution but another front-mounted camera close to the bumper might be necessary. I would guess that the rear camera wouldn't have any problem following a line.

Others here have requested a "LEARN" or "SAVE" feature but I don't think it's as easy as they think. Consumer-grade GPS isn't that accurate, especially if you are inside a building. Since such a feature couldn't use GPS coordinates, it could use visual or sonic cues but if you then move something in your garage, it would get confused. Another option might be to use some sort of short range wireless beacons but of course then the car would need sensors or radios to detect signals from them.

Others here have requested a "LEARN" or "SAVE" feature but I don't think it's as easy as they think. Consumer-grade GPS isn't that accurate, especially if you are inside a building. Since such a feature couldn't use GPS coordinates, it could use visual or sonic cues but if you then move something in your garage, it would get confused. Another option might be to use some sort of short range wireless beacons but of course then the car would need sensors or radios to detect signals from them.
I wasn't suggesting GPS. Tesla already tells you in centimeters how close you are to objects when park. I witnessed it doing Model S demos. If that data is available for multiple places around the car then that is what I was suggesting.
v2Hlm3R.png

Good tip on getting the car to park more to the side, thanks! Regarding the nag, I thought if you had your hands on the steering wheel at all times as you're supposed to with Autosteer you won't get the nag in the first place. Is this not correct?
From my personal experience, that is correct. Use it as intended by Tesla means no nag.:wink:
On the other hand, if S has the side cameras, I would paint my garage for lane control in garage parking.

I wasn't suggesting GPS. Tesla already tells you in centimeters how close you are to objects when park. I witnessed it doing Model S demos. If that data is available for multiple places around the car then that is what I was suggesting.
View attachment 107824

I didn't mean to imply you were suggesting GPS, sorry. I was just saying (to others) that GPS isn't accurate enough for such a feature.

I can see how it would be useful for setting those distances as you suggest...but I was thinking more along the line of being able to park in front of my 3 bay garage and choose to have it park in any of the bays. If I want it to park in bay 3, it wouldn't be able to easily find where it's at if it is only using the short range sensors. If it's already aimed for that door (or in the garage), I could see it could set the saved distances...but if someone were to move an object, it would get confused.