Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to add more panels but don't want Tesla's inverter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

sorka

Feb 28, 2015
Merced, CA
Thinking of upsizing my 8.16 kwh system as I'm going to be doing more car charging and switching my heater and water heat to heat pumps so my electricity usage will go up.

I have an 8.16 kw system with an SE7600 inverter. My understanding is that if I add another system from Tesla, it will now be their own inverter which last I saw doesn't optimizers for module level monitoring and has loads of problems and has a really loud cooling fan. The SE is silent and has no cooling fan, just really large fins on the back.

Has anything changed in the last year to make Tesla's inverter a better option as good of an option as SolarEdge? I wonder if Tesla would do my second system with another SE since I already have one that they installed?

FWIW, my system is coming up on a year old. 11.9kW with 2 Tesla inverters. A 3.8 and 7.6.

Zero problems with them and they are whisper quiet. They are mounted outside on my master bedroom wall, on the first floor (bedroom right above them). Have never heard them unless standing right next to them, and even then its just a low pulsing hum, even in the dead of the summer.

20210525_174305.jpg

RC