Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to add more solar, Tesla doesn't know I already have a system with them...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm trying to add more solar as according to the Tesla app and my electric bills from last year, I did NOT meet the 1:1 ratio at all... I was short by 1.5k kW. Now with Covid, wife and I are working from home so AC is being used way more than before and we're looking into getting a Model Y at the end of the year.

I dislike how their calculator goes by price of bill instead of wattage... but w/e. They recommend me the medium size or the 8kw system with 1 powerwall. Decided not to get the pw as I already have 2 and I haven't even been able to fully use them yet or felt like I was going to run out of energy before the sun showed up (FL).

Anyways, ordered about 2 weeks ago and no adjustments have been made to the current order. I also have to always let them know that I ALREADY HAVE A SYSTEM and I'm adding more panels. Is that system a Tesla system and is it attached to your current phone number? Well no duh...!

Any one have any experience with adding more panels or a second system?

I'm trying to add more solar as according to the Tesla app and my electric bills from last year, I did NOT meet the 1:1 ratio at all... I was short by 1.5k kW. Now with Covid, wife and I are working from home so AC is being used way more than before and we're looking into getting a Model Y at the end of the year.

I dislike how their calculator goes by price of bill instead of wattage... but w/e. They recommend me the medium size or the 8kw system with 1 powerwall. Decided not to get the pw as I already have 2 and I haven't even been able to fully use them yet or felt like I was going to run out of energy before the sun showed up (FL).

Anyways, ordered about 2 weeks ago and no adjustments have been made to the current order. I also have to always let them know that I ALREADY HAVE A SYSTEM and I'm adding more panels. Is that system a Tesla system and is it attached to your current phone number? Well no duh...!

Any one have any experience with adding more panels or a second system?

The fact you already have a system kind of doesnt matter, because they wont be tying the two together per se... you will have 2 separate systems on your home. I mean, it matters for panel placement, but not as far as connecting to it.

The fact you already have a system kind of doesnt matter, because they wont be tying the two together per se... you will have 2 separate systems on your home. I mean, it matters for panel placement, but not as far as connecting to it.

Actually, in this case it probably is important for them to know simply because the OP already has two powerwalls. They will need to figure out where to tie the system in to make sure that they don’t overload the powerwalls with the excess solar power.

Absolute worst case it’s probably something that can be sorted out on the day of the install, but I think it would be good to plan around the existing powerwalls.

That's true, but then that means they're not comparing the consumption with my current system. They're just giving me a system as if the original one doesn't exist. In other words, the size I'm ordering now might be too large. Out of all the people I've talked to, they've been surprised that I already have a system lol. Like how is that not visible on my account or my houses layout...