Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to add Speakers, amp and subwoofer BUT since tweeters are deactivated with Partial Premium?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As a studio guy and engineer, I can tell you that what countless "audiophile car audio" guys offer is mostly a con. First of all, a car is not a great environment for discriminating listening - bad acoustics, road noise and such, so a lot of subtlety in the equipment, if it's even there, is wasted. Secondly, the state of the art in Class D amplifier chips is such that you can get a very good 100 watt 2.1 (stereo + subwoofer) amp module for under $50, or a standalone subwoofer amp for $20. Really. There's a whole range of these.

I have modules like this that, to my amazement, ended up running some big studio monitors, and sound (and test) great. If you have a DIY bone in your body, to wire some of these into an existing stereo setup like on the SR+, maybe add a couple of efficient midrange car speakers and mount a subwoofer in the back, can easily be done for under $200 complete. And if you do it right, it's not going to sound much different from what you can pay thousands for. That's assuming you're not after brain-damaging, window-cracking volume, but efficient speakers at 50 watts can outperform a 500+ watt inefficient rig. A little reading, and some Amazon Prime trial and error goes a long way.

Plus many of these boards have Bluetooth receivers on them. We have a pair of refrigerator-sized Altec monitors in the studio that run (loud!) off a 50/50 watt cigarette pack sized $20 DROK amp connected to our DAWs as "secondary monitors". But when people want to play mixes off their phone, we just flip the DROK to Bluetooth mode, and it's done. The point is, don't be stoopid, technology does get better, do some research, roll up your sleeves and don't waste money on alleged brand and image.
Your the guy I was hoping would reply to my post. I’m definitely a DIY person! Would you please post some links to the components I should buy? AND any installation pictures specifically for my Model 3 standard plus? Thanks

You are being hosed. The best cheapest, most cost effective upgrade is to replace the front dash 4 inch drivers, which are run full range except for a high pass cut off that protects them from any heavy bass signals, with the Infinity REF 4022, which can be had for $49/pair. The install can be done by anyone reasonably handy with tools, as the dash grill is a breeze to take off, and you really only need a specialized screwdriver that allows removal of the machine screws close to the windshield.

Discussed in detail in this thread. it includes extensive discussion of aftermarket subs. If you spend $6500 to get a better stereo, please call me, as I have some swamp land I'm willing to give you a really cheap price on.

I totally hear you and there’s no Way I would pay $6500.00 when I can pay under $500.00 for a nice sub with Amp. What I’m trying to get is that you say Tesla and the price jumps through the roof. Thanks for your input, I’m sure Tesla will have their Sub/Amp upgrade before the next quarter earnings.

Fred

Found this Low profile sub with built in Amp for $249.00, fits in the hole in the trunk.

C565ECD8-AAC7-4E07-9BC5-F4C6B3C9BCA1.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: Fernand
Did you figure out how to provide power and signal to this yet? I have an SR+. Not sure where to wire this from.

I’m guessing there is a 12 volt source under the rear seats, signal from the Sub woofer connector that’s already there inside the right panel in the trunk, not sure if it’s turned on, will check when I get back to San Diego.

Fred

• Helpful
Reactions: smagicmans
That's a joke, right? Plus, have they done aTesla before? Ask to see pics, and ask for a price breakdown on the Components, then google the component prices. I worked in that industry for about four years and it's very crooked. The tesla is unusually easy to work on. 5 days says to me that they will be "Learning" on your car. Definitely be wise and get a few more estimates.

No harness for the sub in the SR+?
If you have a 2.1 or a subwoofer amp module, it can be wired to just about any full range signal to run a passive sub. If there's no line level signal available, it's likely that some midrange speakers in the SR+ can be tapped, and some coax wire run back. Coax to reduce noise pickup. Because midrange speakers can't respond to anything in the subwoofer frequency range anyway, they are often fed a full frequency range signal, without bothering to filter the bottom out. Worth a try anyway.

There's a clip on youtube showing how to tap a protected 12 volt source with decent amperage through the dash, but initially the cigarette lighter style jack could be used.

The $10,000 dollar difference between Partial Premium Interior

And today’s Long range AWD
  • Rear heated seats
  • Premium audio – 14 speakers, 1 subwoofer, 2 amps, and immersive sound
  • Satellite-view maps with live traffic visualization and navigation
  • In-car internet streaming music & media
  • Internet browser
  • Home link Location-aware automatic garage door opener
  • A Front Drive Motor
  • More battery for 70 extra miles of range, 5 extra miles top end, and .9 sec faster
  • Fancy Dual motor badge
So knowing what you could have gotten but scarified to now spend it on aftermarket amplification and distortion ?

Starting with flawed streaming audio source material and the Head Of Brooklyn Bridge Real estate wants to sell you quadraphonic sound in a cat box ?

Why anyone would spend $6k to attempt to reproduce the pressure wave a gun blast or jet engine takeoff in your car interior is beyond me.

You could get two #2 Yellow Ticonderoga Pencils,

one for each ear drum for .49 cents.

Or be frugal and just buy one.

I don't mean this as a diss, but most people nowadays have simply never had a chance to hear faithful audio. So they accept distortion from MP3 type compression, and equate quality with that boom in the upper bass region.

The Premium Tesla audio system is OK, makes a good impression, has a great choice of (distorted) audio sources, but this is all cheap parts nowadays and can be improved inexpensively.

The Premium subwoofer is typical of consumer 2.1 audio sets in artificially boosting at 60Hz, and fading below that. Here's what the frequency response in the driver's seat looks like with default tone settings.

SpectrumTeslaDefault_2019-03-26-19-11-54-1M.jpg

Personally I'd rather hear it more like they heard it in the studio. It can be made more level, closer to true, with something more like the following settings and bringing the volume up a bit. If you have the "full Premium audio", try it.

SpectrumTesla_2019-03-26-19-09-42-1M.jpg

But in any case, if the SR+ audio is missing the entire bottom, it's not a terrible loss. It's not hard or costly to add something that will equal or beat what the Premium contributes. All we need is for someone who's motivated to find a good place to tap the SR+ audio and take it from there.

Something like this looks pretty usable.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0794YHK5M/ref=psdc_1294866011_t3_B019Z3R582

Reactions: willow_hiller
Thanks for your input, I’m sure Tesla will have their Sub/Amp upgrade before the next quarter earnings.

Fred

I seriously doubt Tesla will add that option anytime soon seeing that their service centers are already overloaded. If they can make it a mobile service for the upgrade then I can see it happening but definitely not a service center upgrade.

I seriously doubt Tesla will add that option anytime soon seeing that their service centers are already overloaded. If they can make it a mobile service for the upgrade then I can see it happening but definitely not a service center upgrade.

They need to add more Service Centers as the numbers climb, we have 3 in San Diego now.

Fred

• Rear heated seats
  • Internet browser
  • A Front Drive Motor
  • More battery for 70 extra miles of range, 5 extra miles top end, and .9 sec faster
  • Fancy Dual motor badge
So knowing what you could have gotten but scarified to now spend it on aftermarket amplification and distortion ?

Starting with flawed streaming audio source material and the Head Of Brooklyn Bridge Real estate wants to sell you quadraphonic sound in a cat box ?

Why anyone would spend $6k to attempt to reproduce the pressure wave a gun blast or jet engine takeoff in your car interior is beyond me.

As a one month owner of a SR+, and a happy one, I almost wish I would have stressed the budget, and bought the Midrange RWD with the Premium interior. It got pulled two days before I bought mine.

While the range would have been a bonus, It's the missing interior components that leave me with mild remorse. I know I could have returned the SR+ and located a MR. But I had already jumped through enough hoops for the first car. I couldn't stomach going through the process again.

I think it's the pain of knowing that my car has most of this capability included, but software locked, that is the frustrating part. I'd pay $1000 for the full Premium Interior, if given the chance.

Maybe we'll get that option, down the road...

Last edited:
Reactions: lmorda

• Rear heated seats
  • Internet browser
  • A Front Drive Motor
  • Fancy Dual motor badge

My Limit on buying any car is 35k, I ending up paying 40k for a Red plus, I’m happy with it, the upgrades for it I can get later.

Fred

As a one month owner of a SR+, and a happy one, I almost wish I would have stressed the budget, and bought the Midrange RWD with the Premium interior. It got pulled two days before I bought mine.

While the range would have been a bonus, It's the missing interior components that leave me with mild remorse. I know I could have returned the SR+ and located a MR. But I had already jumped through enough hoops for the first car. I couldn't stomach going through the process again.

I think it's the pain of knowing that my car has most of this capability included, but software locked, that is the frustrating part. I'd pay $1000 for the full Premium Interior, if given the chance.

Maybe we'll get that option, down the road...

Exactly how I feel, and exactly what happened to me. Pulled the day before I bought mine.