Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to borrow: UMC Adapter and/or chademo adapters in South Bay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

We're planning our first road trip on our Model S this weekend from San Jose to Lava bed, crater lake, Portland and seattle.

Will be camping half of the way. Some last minute request if anyone is nice enough to lend us their UMC adapters and/or chademo adapters (just in case). This is for emergency use only, since I think we will be okay with just the superchargers.

If you guys have any suggestions or recommendations as to what adapters we will need so that we can charge our cars at camp grounds (if they don't have 14-50/6-50)

Thank you very much!

Last edited:
That's funny. I looked at South Bay and thought it was Southern California's South Bay and realized you were talking about Silicon Valley...

Didn't your car come with a UMC? I usually recommmend a very thick and long 120V plug to add to the UMC. Considering household current is ubiquitous and 3-4 miles will do in the biggest of emergencies.

Reactions: chibi_kurochan
That's funny. I looked at South Bay and thought it was Southern California's South Bay and realized you were talking about Silicon Valley...

Didn't your car come with a UMC? I usually recommmend a very thick and long 120V plug to add to the UMC. Considering household current is ubiquitous and 3-4 miles will do in the biggest of emergencies.
My apologies, I should have been more specific.
We have the standard adapters J1772, 6-50 and 14-50. Not sure if we'll need some other adapters at camping grounds and RV parks.

My apologies, I should have been more specific.
We have the standard adapters J1772, 6-50 and 14-50. Not sure if we'll need some other adapters at camping grounds and RV parks.
One thing folks used to do in Roadster days (and early S and Leaf days...) call the campgrounds that you are considering for your travel and ask them to photograph the ports that they have and make sure that the outlets match the plugs that you are carrying.

One of the best things about Tesla is the flexibilty and control one has on the amperage that your car draws. Remember, just because it is a NEMA 14-50 doesn't necessarily mean that it will charge at 40A... The car is smart enough (after upgrades) to back off for its own safety, but part of that is also playing around with the dial to make sure that you draw the right Amps.

There are services out there to rent the CHAdeMO adaptor, and I'm confident that you could find the same outfits would also rent the UMC plugs:

NEMA 5-15 ......Standard Outlet... 12 amps ... adds 3-4 miles per hour charging

NEMA 6-15 ...... Air conditioners..
12 amps ... adds 6-8 miles per hour charging

NEMA 5-20 ...... Motel A/C .......... 16 amps ... adds 4-6 miles per hour charging

NEMA 10-30......Older Dryers........ 24 amps (discontinued, we can buy an adapter for NEMA 14-30) ... adds 15-20 miles per hour charging

NEMA 14-30......Newer Dryers...... 24 amps... adds 15-20 miles per hour charging

NEMA 14-50......RV Parks ............ 40 amps ... adds 25-30 miles per hour charging

NEMA 6-50.... welders and industrial.... 40 amps.... adds 25-30 miles per hour charging

NOTE: Your UMC comes with a carrying case, and NEMA 5-15 and NEMA 14-50 plugs.

I also recommend several adaptors:

TT-30 - RV parks with "30 amp service" - these are 120 volts at 20 or 24 amps (depending on the year of your Tesla).

NEMA 10-30 - for pre-1996 clothes dryers

L6-14 - generators

L6-30 - industrial

L6-20 - industrial

NEMA 6-20

NEMA 6-30

• Informative
Reactions: chibi_kurochan