Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to borrow UMC - Gen 1 and/or Gen 2

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Trying to track down cause of RCD tripping - want to rule out our UMC. Tried a different car, same UMC, pop...

I know the long term fix, but without determining whether our UMC is within spec or not, I would be unhappy to use it at some other location where they may be doing us a favour - which we then repay by blowing their electrics.

I've tried Tesla, they tried to be helpful until another jobsworth intervened. And taking car and UMC for them to test is not going to prove anything unless its obviously faulty. My money is on cumulative leakage - the unknown is how much the Tesla UMC is contributing to that, and whether our UMC is different to others ] or whether Gen 2 or worse than Gen 1.

Would really like to try both a Gen 1 and Gen 2 UMC just to see if they behave different.

Based GU15 - Surrey/Hants/Berks border, M3 J3/4.

Just been out and measured the leakage current on my gen 2 UMC when charging. Well within spec, between 3 mA and 3.1 mA, with nothing odd in terms of noise etc on the supply.

I'm a bit too far away from you to do a quick leakage check, or UMC swap, unfortunately.