Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to buy 3rd row kids seat in Southern California

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Lou,
Not sure if you know this, but cars that have these seats installed at the factory also have a substantial bumper reinforcement also installed to be able to withstand a 50mph impact from the rear. That's why Tesla stopped adding these seats after the cars were built....

So even if you were able to buy a seat from someone, your car wouldn't have the protection that Tesla designed for that option...

Hi Lou,
Not sure if you know this, but cars that have these seats installed at the factory also have a substantial bumper reinforcement also installed to be able to withstand a 50mph impact from the rear. That's why Tesla stopped adding these seats after the cars were built....

So even if you were able to buy a seat from someone, your car wouldn't have the protection that Tesla designed for that option...

VINS before 6000 might have the bumper reinforcement installed anyway (Lou's is 5097). Double check with ownership.

You still however have an issue with the brackets etc. to mount the rear seats. These aren't installed unless you get the rear seats from Tesla.

Appreciate the input guys. I was at the Costa Mesa Service Center and was told by the Service Advisor that my VIN is able to get the third seats and that they would be able to install it (not free of course) if I can source a seat from another owner. He said removal is only about five bolts but installation will take a few hours.

Appreciate the input guys. I was at the Costa Mesa Service Center and was told by the Service Advisor that my VIN is able to get the third seats and that they would be able to install it (not free of course) if I can source a seat from another owner. He said removal is only about five bolts but installation will take a few hours.

Interesting.

Are you not able to source seats from Tesla, or do you just want to source at a discount?

Interesting.

Are you not able to source seats from Tesla, or do you just want to source at a discount?

Or perhaps OP wants leather seats and Tesla is not installing those any longer? I've read different reports as to whether newly installed 3d row seats are leather or cloth, with some people reporting having received leather and others cloth.

- - - Updated - - -

Per Tesla, these seats are installed at the factory or not at all. Has that changed?

You are partially correct, but for earlier produced cars, these can still be added. There is a long thread on this issue:

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/6427-Rear-jump-seats

I've always been told by the service center that they can get the seats but they don't have a timeline. Looking to get sooner and hopefully cheaper as well.

Note that Tesla Headquarters have always said that the seats are only factory installed but obviously for those that have them on their due bill, they're installed at the service center. I think Tesla HQ is sticking to their story of only factory install to not incite another uproar.