TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Want to buy a fake Ferrari?

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by tonybelding, Mar 2, 2008.

1. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I wonder what law they were breaking such that the Police felt obliged to confiscate the cars?

When I was shopping in Hong Kong I saw lots of fake products.
    Sometimes they change the name/logo slightly perhaps to avoid trademark issues.

If they labeled it as a "Ferari" rather than "Ferrari" maybe they could have stayed in business?

Italian Tax Police Bust Up Fake-Ferrari Ring - WSJ.com
    OB-BC023_ferrar_20080227154103.jpg
    OB-BC025_ferrar_20080227154836.jpg

It seems the EU made a press release saying that fake Ferraris were coming from China, but apparently later they apologized for making a fuss about it because the car turned out to be a kit car imported from the UK.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A fake story with real moral value
    Frattini finds fake Ferrari - Telegraph
    Fake Ferrari From China: The Chen-Zo?
    Fake Ferrari produced in China | Video | Reuters.com
    Fake Chinese Ferrari !
    In Cina copiano anche le Ferrari Sequestrata una rara 330 P4 - Motori - Repubblica.it
    Å·Ã˹ÙԱչʾÕÕƬָ¿Ø£ºÖйú³öÏÖ¼Ù·¨À­Àû£¨Í¼£© 6park.com

3. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

I am not a lawyer, but. . . .

Trademark laws usually require you to make your product's name, logo and appearance different
    enough to avoid confusion with the original. "Ferari" wouldn't be acceptable. But of course exactly
    where that line is drawn and how (or whether) it's enforced varies a lot around the world.

Also. . . If some of the buyers were, in fact, unaware that they were getting replicas, then it
    becomes a fraud case.