Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to buy a Model 3, insurance is crazy expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oops! I don’t know how that got posted! That was a draft I started to write. I was going to finish saying don’t carry full coverage (comprehensive, uninsured, etc) to reduce the cost at the risk of something happening if someone uninsured hit you. BUT then I got to thinking and it probably wouldn’t save that much if the rates are high based on him not having a driving history.
Ha. Fair enough. I was a little surprised that someone would advocate just blowing off insurance altogether.

I find it humorous when people say "use this company, it's the best and they do this great and claims are easy and and and" as if there's any consistency in the industry. It's like banks. They all suck, and whether a bank is good for you depends on many factors. Same with insurance.

1. What state are you in?
2. What zip code are you in?
3. How old are you?
4. Are you married?
5. What gender are you?
6. Do you have any negatives on your driving history?
7. What liability limits do you want?
8. What other policy protections do you want?
9. Do you own your home?
10. Are you in a no fault state?

and on and and on. Two people with the same insurance company can have two totally different experiences.

It's all individual. The only way to get the best deal is to shop it around.

Reactions: not4antoher
25 year olds shouldn't have model 3s or any other high value car. End of. If you have to have an electric car buy an old Nissan Leaf - perfectly good car.

This shouldn't be a matter of what age you are, it's about if you can afford it and be responsible with it.

I have seen older people in their 30s/40s that are much irresponsible than some people in their 20s. While age is a factor, it's not the whole story.

I’m pretty sure you’re still missing the point. Whether or not you can afford the car and/or insurance is a separate issue from whether a 25-year-old should have a model 3 or any other high value car.

nah, I didn’t miss anything. The question of teens/young adults buying “expensive“ or “fast” (both relative terms) cars comes up a dozen times a month on just about every car forum. That’s not new or interesting. Idc how people spend their money, 15-100 years old buy whatever you want.

My comment was very specific. If you’re complaining about the cost of the insurance you can’t afford the car, regardless of age.

• Disagree
Reactions: mlkmade
nah, I didn’t miss anything. The question of teens/young adults buying “expensive“ or “fast” (both relative terms) cars comes up a dozen times a month on just about every car forum. That’s not new or interesting. Idc how people spend their money, 15-100 years old buy whatever you want.

My comment was very specific. If you’re complaining about the cost of the insurance you can’t afford the car, regardless of age.
What somebody *thinks* is expensive and what they can afford may be two very different things. There are many things that I may be able to afford but won’t pay for because I believe they’re too expensive.

• Disagree
Reactions: mlkmade