Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Howdy folks,

I'm looking for a Model S on a budget ($74000). Would Ideally have the following options, but anything is considered:
Duel motors
Smart Air Suspension
Premium Interior & Lighting (mostly for the liftgate) / or Tech package
Autopilot (any)
Free unlimited supercharging

"$74000 for a Model S? You must be joking!"
Basically, this is only attractive to someone whose quoted trade-in value is less than $74k but who still wants a quick hassle free process, and wants to sell in time to upgrade before the free unlimited supercharging on new vehicles ends (Septermber 16). How would it be quick and hassle free? I have thousands of hours of physical experience with Tesla's and I know what I'm looking for; if the options and history are right I'll buy it without haggling on price.
Sydney based but happy to travel interstate for a pickup.

Feel free to ask any questions.
Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
That S60 is closer to $87k drive away. I'm aware of the current market prices; this post wouldn't exist if there were Model S's selling publicly at my price limit. The point was to potentially find someone who has been or will shortly be offered a trade-in value less than my price offering, thereby helping us both out - they get more with close to the same ease as a trade-in and I get an affordable car.

Reactions: Shock-On-T
That S60 is closer to $87k drive away. I'm aware of the current market prices; this post wouldn't exist if there were Model S's selling publicly at my price limit. The point was to potentially find someone who has been or will shortly be offered a trade-in value less than my price offering, thereby helping us both out - they get more with close to the same ease as a trade-in and I get an affordable car.
So basically: do a brother a solid. Avoid the hassle of having to take a photo of your car and putting it on carsales. Instead, basically give me a car for $20k below market value, at best. I mean a stranger is just a friend you haven't met right? And you'd give your friend $20k if they asked, right?

Hi @Tension , good post, and I reckon you’ll fine someone sooner or later. I understand your value proposition.

If I were the sort of person who would take Tesla’s low-ball trade-in offer I’d certainly consider selling to you instead. I’ve got a few years before I’m planning to update but good luck with your search.

Reactions: Tension
AT $74k take a phone and one will have 100 people at your doorstep....

I do not think a Model S, any S, with reasonable km's with above listed features (and no damage) will sell for below $80k for about another 12months....only a damage, drive hard, signs off age, sat out seats etc. would be getting close to $80k....

AT $74k take a phone and one will have 100 people at your doorstep....

I do not think a Model S, any S, with reasonable km's with above listed features (and no damage) will sell for below $80k for about another 12months....only a damage, drive hard, signs off age, sat out seats etc. would be getting close to $80k....
Dunno. I was quoted a trade of $80,000 for my 2016 S75D because it had 75,000kms.
Privately I could probably get closer to $100,000, but someone who would take $80,000 is starting to get perilously close to the OP's target price.

• Informative
Reactions: Tension and Miggy
I was quoted $43,500 for my Range Rover (trading on a new Model X) and sold it for $58,000 two days ago....a trade is not a good comparison....one would be mad to sell at $80k when you can sell online at $100k....and there is the rub, why sell for $76k when I can trade on a new Tesla with zero hassle at $80k?

As I said, it's a while off $76K, at least another 12mths (not trades, but private)....

This is a fairly tidy article on used model S cars, there is a pricing guide at the bottom although I would say that picking up an S60 for $58k is a bargain. Note that even though the article states that batteries will likely outlast the car the only comment so far has a dig at battery replacement cost/availability
2014-17 Tesla Model S used car review | performance, value, reliability

Yep, an S60 would be a bargain but of course zero of these bargains exist...the calculation has been made based on normal devaluations and not reality in my opinion as the cars have held above average on the depreciation side...even the model ranges are incorrectly referred to...as an example the S70 came out in late 2015....a lot of errors in the article.

I think a late 2015 S70 (which I know well of course) will trade for around the $80k and sell on CarSales (with a few options, such as roof, next gen 2 seats etc.) for around the $100k (or a little under).

The last gripe, Tesla have been amazing at replacing all these niggle early car issues...so the cars out there are by and large fixed with whatever has been put on the later models....

Here's the cheapest Model S's in the country:
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/te...ea=Stock&vertical=car&WT.z_srchsrcx=makemodel

@Tension no it's not is it? The last one is the Carsales list is $85k ono.....5% off on CarSales privately sold cars is pretty normal therefore one "may" walk away paying $80,750 plus on-roads (still under $85k driveaway).

Tesla Inventory is a better car though with way less km's.....however the one on CarSales is a 70 and newer....

Come on @Tension join the club and buy the Tesla Inventory car ;)

I sat in the Model 3 on Tuesday, really impressed me way more in real life than the photos and the seats a suppppper comfortable.

Since my wife's Range Rover is currently morphing in to a Model X I guess I'll change my S over to a 3 over the next 12 months'ish when the 3 is out....