Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

want to buy: Mobile Corded Connector..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought the one from eBay... that said it was for the model y... but it only charged at 32 amps max.... and now it stopped working!!!

originally bought the one from tesla store... and it worked great charging at 40 amps,,, but lately when i plug it in.. voltage fluctuates like crazy!!!

I bought the one from eBay... that said it was for the model y... but it only charged at 32 amps max.... and now it stopped working!!!

originally bought the one from tesla store... and it worked great charging at 40 amps,,, but lately when i plug it in.. voltage fluctuates like crazy!!!
Just curious; do you leave the Corded Mobile Connector plugged in or do you plug and unplug the Corded Mobile Connector from the 14-50 receptacle?

i unplug from receptacle everytime after i finish charging.
That may be the cause of your recent voltage fluctuations and charging issues. The NEMA 14-50 receptacle is not designed for a high number of plug and unplug operations. In the home this receptacle is typically used for electric ovens that get plugged in once and remain plugged in for years. Repeated plugging and unplugging of a 14-50 plug from the receptacle will cause the receptacle to wear and loosen.

The brand and model of 14-50 receptacle also plays a factor in the long term durability and reliability of the receptacle. Tesla recommends using only Hubbell or Bryant 14-50 receptacles (cost $40 to 80$). Inexpensive ($10 to $20) 14-50 receptacles sold at home improvement retailers should not be used for this application. The inexpensive Leviton 14-50 receptacle should be not be used for charging an EV.

I would suggest having an electrician inspect the 14-50 receptacle. The connections for the two powered wires carrying 120V may have loosened over time. If the electrician finds signs that the 14-50 receptacle has overheated or is loose then it should be replaced.

Once you get the issue resolved you should leave the Corded Mobile Connector plugged in. Also, be sure to support the chassis (the electronics unit) of the Mobile Connector so the weight of the chassis and charging cord is not pulling on the 14-50 receptacle and power plug cord. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a mounting bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis. You can find similar organizer kits on Amazon or fashion you own means of supporting the Mobile Connector Chassis.

Cable Organizer

That may be the cause of your recent voltage fluctuations and charging issues. The NEMA 14-50 receptacle is not designed for a high number of plug and unplug operations. In the home this receptacle is typically used for electric ovens that get plugged in once and remain plugged in for years. Repeated plugging and unplugging of a 14-50 plug from the receptacle will cause the receptacle to wear and loosen.

The brand and model of 14-50 receptacle also plays a factor in the long term durability and reliability of the receptacle. Tesla recommends using only Hubbell or Bryant 14-50 receptacles (cost $40 to 80$). Inexpensive ($10 to $20) 14-50 receptacles sold at home improvement retailers should not be used for this application. The inexpensive Leviton 14-50 receptacle should be not be used for charging an EV.

I would suggest having an electrician inspect the 14-50 receptacle. The connections for the two powered wires carrying 120V may have loosened over time. If the electrician finds signs that the 14-50 receptacle has overheated or is loose then it should be replaced.

Once you get the issue resolved you should leave the Corded Mobile Connector plugged in. Also, be sure to support the chassis (the electronics unit) of the Mobile Connector so the weight of the chassis and charging cord is not pulling on the 14-50 receptacle and power plug cord. Tesla sells a Cable Organizer that includes a mounting bracket for the Mobile Connector chassis. You can find similar organizer kits on Amazon or fashion you own means of supporting the Mobile Connector Chassis.

Cable Organizer
Thanks for the info... for what its worth, i bought from Ebay another corded mobile connector bought this was an older model connector.. it works.. but at 32A constant!!!! I will get the receptacle replaced.. another thing i may have not said that I dropped the 14-50 connector a few times on the ground.. maybe i screwed up the circuity or something.. dont know...

Thanks for the info... for what its worth, i bought from Ebay another corded mobile connector bought this was an older model connector.. it works.. but at 32A constant!!!! I will get the receptacle replaced.. another thing i may have not said that I dropped the 14-50 connector a few times on the ground.. maybe i screwed up the circuity or something.. dont know...
Here is a list of recommended NEMA 14-50 receptacles for EV charging.

Hubbell 9450a: $85
Bryant 9450fr: $40
Cooper 5754n: $50

Do not use Leviton 279-S00

For Hubbell and Bryant use the Hubbell cover plate part # SS701:$9 (The more common Leviton 14-50 plate cover is too small to fit the Hubbell, Bryant receptacle.)

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
There is a difference between the mobile connectors. The Gen 1 provided the 40amps as you mention and the Gen 2 were only 32.
1633540199715.png

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Time to put the troubleshooting hat on, and make sure it's the mobile connector and not the car. When the car's on-board charger fails, it does so in stages. It is made up of three 16a charging circuits, and when one of them fails, a car that used to be able to charge at 48a, now tops out at 32a (if two circuits fail, it tops out at 16a). If you haven't done so, you might want to make your way to a destination charger, service center, or friend's house where you know the car should charge at greater than 32a. If the car fails to go above 32a there as well, then it may be the car.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H and jcanoe