TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Want to Buy/Rent/Borrow Chademo Adaptor

Discussion in 'Canada' started by SluyterCapital, Jul 13, 2016.

1. SluyterCapital

Wanting to take Tessie to northern New Brunswick in August for about a week. Without the RDL Supercharger built I will need to use the chargers along the way. Are there any kind souls who would lend me, entrepreneurs who would rent or sell me their Chademo Adaptor for this time? I am happy to place a deposit on the charger.

Thanks Paul P85

2. hacer

hacer Member

• Informative x 1
  3. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

OK now i'm a newbie to this with an S on order. What exactly do I need the Chademo adaptor for? Is this for charging at say a friends house while on a trip?

4. hacer

hacer Member

A Chademo charger is a high-speed DC charging station that is not nearly as fast as a super charger and usually isn't free. But it is a heck of a lot faster than any AC charging station (where you'd typically use the J1772 adapter that comes with the car). You can't charge at a Chademo charger unless you have an adapter. It can be useful if you're driving in an area where there aren't superchargers but there are some Chademo chargers. You can see a map of Chademo chargers on plugshare.

5. SluyterCapital

6. hacer

hacer Member

I'm planning a vacation trip this August to Quebec. I was figuring on using destination charging in Quebec city and it seems like I can use superchargers mostly on the rest of my trip, but I've been wondering whether I should take one along just in case, especially since this will be my first long distance trip in my 70D.

7. SluyterCapital

It's only +/-150km to Quebec City from Drummondville. With destination charging you won't need to use any other means to charge.

8. SluyterCapital

Yup, thanks.... Not much traction here in Eastern Canada I see.

9. SluyterCapital

I understand the Circuit électrique stations charge at 400 volts. How fast is this? What is the KPH speed of charge? Has anyone made the trek to N.B using Circuit électrique with the Chademo?

10. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

Just an informative note: Make sure that CHAdeMO charging is enabled on your car. I had an issue with my CHAdeMO charger not working on my Model X and Model S and it turned out that Tesla had to enable CHAdeMO charging. Both cars have Supercharging enabled, but Tesla treats CHAdeMO differently and I would get charging failures until it was enabled. Maybe it should have been enabled from the factory, but it was not in my case.

11. napabill

napabill Active Member

Can this enabling be done remotely? Or do I have to visit a SC?

12. araxara

araxara S-P85#3,218 X-90D#3,299

In both my cases this was enabled at the Service Center, but I can't give you a definite answer. Maybe a call to the Service Center would answer that.

13. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Mine will be available to rent once I'm back at the end of July. $20/week or $60/month plus deposit seems fair. They won't last forever.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  14. SluyterCapital

Thanks for the reply. I see you are from Toronto. I am in Ottawa. The distance may be an issue. Any ideas?

15. mrElbe

mrElbe Member

Never heard of Chademo enabling. I bought mine in January and tested it same day and it charged. Maybe vehicles built before Sep. 14 or with just single charger need this enabling.

16. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

My car is an early 2013 and worked perfectly with a borrowed CHAdeMO adaptor when I tried it out last summer. I was on latest firmware at the time, but did nothing to enable. Given that fact, I don't know why any newer S would require anything to enable this capability?

17. ZBB

ZBB Emperor

Interesting... I bought a CHAdeMO adapter about 6 weeks ago. It worked fine on my car when I did my 2 test charges before our upcoming road trip that I bought it for.. I did provide my VIN when ordering, so perhaps they enabled remotely when fulfilling the order. I ordered online since Scottsdale (which is in Southern Alberta, since this is the Canada forum...) was out of stock.

Perhaps they missed that on your cars?

18. rypalmer

rypalmer Member

Hey @Gymee why the Dislike? You realize these stupid adapters cost like $700 with tax right? And they will eventfully wear out. What part do you find unjust?

• Funny x 1
  19. SluyterCapital

I think you are more than fair if I was close enough to get it. Are you passing through Ottawa soon? I did call Tesla Montreal and they checked my 2013 and there is no problem using a Chademo.

20. Gymee

Gymee Member

Guess I feel had I been in a position to help, I would have. $20 or $60 isn't going to better my life in any way so I guess I find it petty but it's just my opinion. Just as you've shared your "dislike" opinion on others people's posts on here...an opinion you've shared quite liberally I might add

• Like x 2