Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to hear from the 40kwh owners.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm considering getting a used 40kwh. I wanted to get the opinions of current owners and see what there take on it is. Basically do you wish you got another model. Also would love to hear from some if they got upgraded the software to the 60kwh. I'll primarily use it 90 percent of the time to fo to work round trip 70 miles a day. Occasionally driving 45 minutes one way on the weekends. Will probably keep my MB GL450 for long distances. I do believe in 2 years I'll update to the P85 or Model X.

- - - Updated - - -

Forgot to add there are no Tesla dealerships close and I will have to buy one without ever seeing one before or test driving.

6 months 6000 miles. I never have needed to charge any place but at home. Your GL 450 might get feel neglected because you won't drive it much. You will be looking for excuses to drive the tesla.

LOL. Don't drive it much now. I drive a F150 to work. Got it for the tax brake but the price of the F150 plus the $400 in gas month is killing me. Basically. F150 plus the amount for gas is less than or equal to a model S. Depending on which one I get. If I get a 40kwh I'll be saving a few hundred a month until I feel like upgrading. Just looked at Tesla website and didn't notice they've opened a dealership in Raleigh NC. Close to the airport and I'm flying out of there tomorrow. I think I may leave early to test drive.

I am guessing that you are planning on buying from a private party? Tesla does not sell used 40s.
We put on 6,500 miles on our 40 in 5 months, mostly with my 50 mile rt commute. I am actually able to get ideal range when driving 60mph, so there is plenty of range left after the commute. The only downside is not being able to do the occasional road trip... but that is not worth 12 grand for us.

Last edited:
We are very happy with our 40 kWh. We use it as our daily driver (our "95%-of-the-time" car), and have never had range concerns nor have we wished for a different model. We have a minivan, if needed, for more passengers or longer trips.

We are very happy with our 40 kWh. We use it as our daily driver (our "95%-of-the-time" car), and have never had range concerns nor have we wished for a different model. We have a minivan, if needed, for more passengers or longer trips.

My 40/60 has plenty of range for me. I drive about 40 miles a day with some hills so I actually about 42 miles of range. Although I could probably go 3 days without charging, I charge every night so I have no worries at all. I've never had to charge outside of home...although I have just tried it for fun :) You should check where there are chargers along your route first though....just in case and for peace of mind.

I'm very happy with the 40 kWh range. It's my daily driver, with 20 miles rt to work being my longest normal route. Almost everthing else I need is within 5 miles from home. Every 2-3 months I take a 50 mile trip to my second home and have returned with plenty of miles to spare.
Secondly, there are two Service Centers in my area so obtaining service is convenient. I wouldn't recommend the MS for people without a local Service Center. My car has been in for repairs multiple times in five months, and I value my time. I would not be pleased if the SC was a one+ hour drive.

Yeah, very happy with my 40, like others it's my daily driver. No concerns for range for me, I have a roundtrip of about 40 miles a day. I've talked about this on other 40 threads, but the price for upgrading is to steep given what I'd get back for it.

I have over 9,000 miles in my 40 kWh since Mid May. My wife and I are driving 60 to 120 miles a day and we love it. No problems with range and we only charge at home during the night. If one of us plans on driving more than 120 miles (2 times so far) the other will drive the MS that day. Our other car is a Jeep Patriot which we use for going out of town and whoever has the shorter drive that day.

I have a Leaf and have put 7500 miles in 6 months - my only range issues are when I forgot to charge. A 40 KW battery is really a sweet spot in my opinion for price vs range. I'd be pretty surprised to be getting a good price on a used 40 as they were essentially sold new at a good discount given the 60 KW battery.