Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

want to install charging in my garage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
+1 on the Lowe's NEMA 14-50 installed in all garages with outside receptable for the kid's e-Golf and the sporadic Plugshare desperado.

While at it I also realized that my trusty 10kW gasoline generator will not cope, so I am getting a 22kW natural gas powered Generac with whole house switch installed, at least I will be running one AC unit and a Tesla off it.

Now I am patiently waiting for the year 2020 to cross shop for 300mi 40k BEV sedans, LMFAO:)

Does anyone know if NEMA 14-50 amps charging overnight on a long term basis is better for battery life than HPWC at 72 amps?

So far, I'm preparing for our X by clearing everything out of a 4th single garage we used for storage before. It seems to be the ideal location since the electric meter and 200 amps main service panel is on the other of the wall on the exterior approximately where the X driver's side charge port will be.

There's no evidence that charging at 80amps has done anything negative to Model S batteries. Tesla pampers it's battery packs with liquid cooling and, so far, they've proven extremely resilient.

There's no evidence that charging at 80amps has done anything negative to Model S batteries. Tesla pampers it's battery packs with liquid cooling and, so far, they've proven extremely resilient.

Furthermore, 80A @ 240V charging is nothing compared to Superchargers at over 300A and 350-400V. My car has gone over 30,000 miles, about 2/3 of that on very long trips using Superchargers. My battery degradation is hardly noticeable. The 100% charge range appears to be 3.4% lower now, after two years and, as I say, over 30,000 miles.

Furthermore, 80A @ 240V charging is nothing compared to Superchargers at over 300A and 350-400V. My car has gone over 30,000 miles, about 2/3 of that on very long trips using Superchargers. My battery degradation is hardly noticeable. The 100% charge range appears to be 3.4% lower now, after two years and, as I say, over 30,000 miles.

That's very true! Just another testament to the durability of the Tesla battery pack!

While at it I also realized that my trusty 10kW gasoline generator will not cope, so I am getting a 22kW natural gas powered Generac with whole house switch installed, at least I will be running one AC unit and a Tesla off it.

22kW whole house automatic natural gas generator is what I have on my small (2000 sq ft) house. My Generac installers not only did not recommend charging my Tesla with it, they said if I did, I could void my warranty.

That said, I plan to discuss this with my electrician so that, if the time came that I desperately needed the charge to get away from a hurricane, I could be able to turn off all but the kitchen circuits and charge up.

There is a extra 5kW plug on the side for sharing with a neighbor. Perhaps there is a way I utilize it in a pinch.

22kW whole house automatic natural gas generator is what I have on my small (2000 sq ft) house. My Generac installers not only did not recommend charging my Tesla with it, they said if I did, I could void my warranty.

That said, I plan to discuss this with my electrician so that, if the time came that I desperately needed the charge to get away from a hurricane, I could be able to turn off all but the kitchen circuits and charge up.

There is a extra 5kW plug on the side for sharing with a neighbor. Perhaps there is a way I utilize it in a pinch.
Let me know what you do as I'm having the 22kw installed as we speak. You could always plug it into the 110?

Doubt it unless they did not follow the 100A circuit required. The worst that will happen is fuse will kick in and stop everything, you then turn off AC unit and charge Tesla.

Tesla with NEMA 14-50 draws 240vx40A= 9,600W, add another 9000W for AC, you will have plenty to go around.

Even with the 10k gas generator without a Tesla, we experimented until we could run it at capacity, and boy did it run a 4500sq ft home minus one AC unit (switched to upstairs at night), freezers and everything included.

Last edited:
Questions:
If choosing option (1) above
(A) Is 200A home service sufficient? I realize it has to do with the current power load, but I doubt the builder went 100A overboard.
(B) Will the car always draw 72A until full or will it recognize available power and adjust? ..concerned about rest of house browning out.
(C) Is a 100A sub-panel advisable, or overkill?

(A) You have to do a load calculation. If you have a small house with gas appliances, you shouldn't have an issue. If you have a large house with all electric appliances (and especially heat), then you're likely to run into issues.
(B) The car will attempt to charge at 72A if you provide it with a supply capable of doing so. It will not automatically figure out what current it can draw based on current loads at the house (although Tesla does some minimal detection of high resistance and will back off charging to 75%).
(C) In the FAQ (see my signature below), I recommend a small 125A subpanel.

- - - Updated - - -

Nobody knows the exact details about Model X charging. There is quite a bit of speculation that the X will not have dual chargers and will only have a single 72A charger. nothing confirmed yet, hopefully we will find out more info soon. the NEMA 14-50 will give you 29 miles/hour charge, which with overnight charging should handle your daily needs. Its a matter of personal preference and if you need the ability to quick charge for longer trips. The HPWC is a cool set up, keeps things nice and neat and you won't need to use your portable charge cable, and it will deliver close to that 58 miles/hour charge that if you so desire. It's just a costlier alternative. Envision your charging habits and daily needs for the car. If you can do with overnight charging, then the NEMA 14-50 will suffice. If you want top end, go with the HPWC.

It is definitively confirmed that the Model X has a single charger capable of charging at up to 72A - from the charging team at Tesla.

From the Tesla website:
Home charging installation | Tesla Motors

1381496cb03c1983d5d91a77e18e40b3.jpg

It is worth noting that the statement regarding the 18 kW charger for Model X has been removed from the home charging installation page on Tesla's website.

I originally got that message too...but when I tried to confirm before installing my power, the Tesla charging program manager sent me this reply....

Thank you for reaching out. I apologize, our engineering has recently clarified their plans for Model X charging capability, the 72 amp on-board charger is no longer accurate. I am now being told that the on-board charger capability of Model X will be max 48 amps. When connected to a NEMA 14-50, Model X will use its on-board charger to charge at approximately 25 miles/hour. Higher amperage Wall Connectors (such as those found at our Destination Charging locations) will provide a recharge speed of approximately 30 miles per hour.

Walter Fxxxxx | Charging Installation Program Manager
45500 Fremont Boulevard | Fremont, CA 94538

I originally got that message too...but when I tried to confirm before installing my power, the Tesla charging program manager sent me this reply....

Thank you for reaching out. I apologize, our engineering has recently clarified their plans for Model X charging capability, the 72 amp on-board charger is no longer accurate. I am now being told that the on-board charger capability of Model X will be max 48 amps. When connected to a NEMA 14-50, Model X will use its on-board charger to charge at approximately 25 miles/hour. Higher amperage Wall Connectors (such as those found at our Destination Charging locations) will provide a recharge speed of approximately 30 miles per hour.

Walter Fxxxxx | Charging Installation Program Manager
45500 Fremont Boulevard | Fremont, CA 94538

With that said, there's no harm if you can afford to install it for a 100A circuit anyway, for future vehicles (or upgrades to your existing vehicle). I'm putting my second WC in at 100A.

I now have a GE Wattstation in my garage to charge my Volt. NEMA 6-50 outlet - 40A circuit breaker. What changer will I have to make when I get my Tesla Model 3?
No one knows for sure, but if the charging is like Model S and Model X (probably will be) all you will need is the J1772 adapter that will come with the car. If you want to leave your adapter attached to your Wattstation but still have one in your car for connecting to public J1772 stations, you could buy an extra adapter currently priced at $95. Or just bring it with you whenever you might need it out on the road.

An electrician friend dropped off 40 feet of 1 O cable today, a 100 amp breaker and some other tidbits. I am going to get a disconnect box as well as another box for a 14-50 plug. This way I can install the HPWC at 48" and put the 14-50 below as a second option and something I can use while I wait for the HPWC supply to renew.

No one knows for sure, but if the charging is like Model S and Model X (probably will be) all you will need is the J1772 adapter that will come with the car. If you want to leave your adapter attached to your - but still have one in your car for connecting to public J1772 stations, you could buy an extra adapter currently priced at $95. Or just bring it with you whenever you might need it out on the road.

Thanks CmdrThor for your quick reply. Let the long wait begin!

@aesculus, do you know what type of 1/0 cable your friend dropped off? Is it SER Cu, Al or something else?
I am about to install 25' of 2-2-2-4 SER Cu and these and super stiff to bend. Pulling 1/0 THHNs from the main panel to a closely placed subpanel and then the EVSEs from there.