Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to leave key FOB in car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was disappointed today to receive my key fob and see it does not have a opening to attach a key ring that would allow me to hang the fob on my key board next to my garage door. So when my car is at home in my garage I would like to leave the fob in the car so I don't have to find a special place to put the fob in the house when I come in from the garage. Also leaving the fob in the car in the garage avoids the car being locked if I am in the garage and decide I want something out of the car or want to vacuum the mats. Any reason not to leave the fob in the car in my locked garage?

Any reason not to leave the fob in the car in my locked garage?
Yes. The fob and car will be constantly communicating and drain the fob battery and also be a small power draw on the car. If you want to leave it next to the car, get a Faraday Cage bag. See A Review of the Best Five Faraday Cage Bags - BestInfoProductReviews (I have no connection to that website, it just came up first in my web search)

If you want a way to hang your fob on a hook, get one of these Model 3 - FobPockets - Abstract Ocean (Again, I have no connection or financial interest in that website but have bought their products).

• Informative
Reactions: lottadot
If your car is stolen and insurance finds out that you left the keys in the car, then they may not cover you.

My grandpa left his keys in his Buick. Some kids broke into his garage and took the car for a joy ride. They recovered the car, but he was out of pocket for the damage that the kids did.

Yes. The fob and car will be constantly communicating and drain the fob battery and also be a small power draw on the car. If you want to leave it next to the car, get a Faraday Cage bag. See A Review of the Best Five Faraday Cage Bags - BestInfoProductReviews (I have no connection to that website, it just came up first in my web search)

If you want a way to hang your fob on a hook, get one of these Model 3 - FobPockets - Abstract Ocean (Again, I have no connection or financial interest in that website but have bought their products).

No that's not the case after a period of time the car will ignore the fob if it's in constant proximity to the car and you will have to manually wake the car in order to get it to recognize the fob again.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sherlo
I thought the fob was no different than a keycard, ie it's used to open the door if you click and you place it on the console to keep the car on - but if it were hidden someplace in the car, isn't it basically inert? (Mine is the original kind that did not have walk-up-unlock)

There is the tiniest bit where you can run a very line wire to create a way to hook it to a keyring or other, I didn't cut or modify anything even though it kinda looks that way

fob.jpg

• Funny
  • Helpful
Reactions: Jedi2155 and Sherlo
I was disappointed today to receive my key fob and see it does not have a opening to attach a key ring that would allow me to hang the fob on my key board next to my garage door. So when my car is at home in my garage I would like to leave the fob in the car so I don't have to find a special place to put the fob in the house when I come in from the garage. Also leaving the fob in the car in the garage avoids the car being locked if I am in the garage and decide I want something out of the car or want to vacuum the mats. Any reason not to leave the fob in the car in my locked garage?

I wonder if you can still buy the original version of the keyfob. You can certainly leave that one in the car and the car WILL lock with the FOB inside.

Reactions: Stellavator
I thought the fob was no different than a keycard, ie it's used to open the door if you click and you place it on the console to keep the car on - but if it were hidden someplace in the car, isn't it basically inert? (Mine is the original kind that did not have walk-up-unlock)

There is the tiniest bit where you can run a very line wire to create a way to hook it to a keyring or other, I didn't cut or modify anything even though it kinda looks that way

View attachment 484440

WOW....that's interesting.

I would MUCH rather have a key fob holder such as this one ( which I own ).

https://www.amazon.com/OLAIKE-Tesla...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

There was a thread last year in this forum talking about this.

I learned at that time that TONS of people leave their keys in their cars when they are in the garage.

Tons of people leave their keys in their car in the driveway too. It is insane. I don't understand why people would do that. It is so widespread the Philadelphia Police Department runs ads during the Phillies games asking people to not do it.