Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to Listen to Audio Books

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The audio books are on CD so need to copy them to a flash drive or some other method. If using the flash drive method, I thought the CDs could be download onto my PC, converted to MP3 format and copied to a flash drive. But I have not been able to find a procedure that does that. Maybe someone knows of another successful plan, possibly using Bluetooth, or the iPhone, or ???

Listening to a book on a long drive is very relaxing, and I plan to make several long drives.

Reactions: idealsol
The audio books are on CD so need to copy them to a flash drive or some other method. If using the flash drive method, I thought the CDs could be download onto my PC, converted to MP3 format and copied to a flash drive. But I have not been able to find a procedure that does that. Maybe someone knows of another successful plan, possibly using Bluetooth, or the iPhone, or ???

Listening to a book on a long drive is very relaxing, and I plan to make several long drives.

You'll need some type of audio ripping software that will take your CD and convert it to MP3 audio files (I use Winamp, but <shudder> iTunes probably will do it). Then you'll need to copy those files onto USB media (stick or ext. hard drive) formatted as FAT32. Then you'll need to repeatedly bang your head against the steering wheel every time you return to the car and find out the audio track has restarted to the beginning instead of picking up where you left off.

If you have an iPhone, rip the CDs with iTunes, then add the files in the correct order to a new playlist and sync that playlist to your phone. Now you can listen to the files and they won't start from the beginning of the track each time you turn the car on.

If you have Android, then I don't know how it works. Good luck!

If you have an iPhone, rip the CDs with iTunes, then add the files in the correct order to a new playlist and sync that playlist to your phone. Now you can listen to the files and they won't start from the beginning of the track each time you turn the car on.

If you have Android, then I don't know how it works. Good luck!
You act like Android is some big mystery....

Just throw those ripped files into Google music and you're done.

The only solution that works is to use Bluetooth and run either an audiobook or music playing app that will resume from the last position.

While you may be able to put audiobooks on a USB memory stick, unfortunately the Tesla media player often forgets the current position and the currently playing file.

Didn't mean to hijack a Tesla forum with Apple vs. Android. I will say that most of us have committed to one or the other platform. It'd be hard for me to justify jumping ship now that I'm versed in iOS and addicted to the integration of my iPhone, iPad, Watch, and AirPods. I suspect many Android users are similarly loyal, and I have nothing against Google or Samsung. I see competition in this realm as a good thing for us as consumers.

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Didn't mean to hijack a Tesla forum with Apple vs. Android. I will say that most of us have committed to one or the other platform. It'd be hard for me to justify jumping ship now that I'm versed in iOS and addicted to the integration of my iPhone, iPad, Watch, and AirPods. I suspect many Android users are similarly loyal, and I have nothing against Google or Samsung. I see competition in this realm as a good thing for us as consumers.
Whoa, whoa, easy there Satan. I said come to the dark side of Android, not the chaotic abyss of Samsung....

If you in the Apple ecosystem with an iPhone and a Mac, there is a great little program out there called Audiobook Builder. I don't remember what it's called but it will pay for itself the first time you rip your audiobook CDs to MP4.

The "MP4" is important because that the format that iPhone will remember your place.

The app will automatically add your book to iTunes and will show up on your iPhone after you sync with your computer.

Just connect your phone via Bluetooth and play from the audible or iTunes app.

It's actually far simpler than it sounds :)

In my previous non-Tesla cars, I would put audiobooks on CD or DVD and play them without any problems.

When getting my S P85 4 years ago, it quickly became clear that loading the audio files onto a USB memory stick wasn't going to work, because the media player didn't have the ability to maintain the current position in the audiobook file, something previous cars did with CD/DVD playback.

Initially this was a disappointment - forcing a move to using the Audible app on my smartphone. And now that I've been doing that for 4 years - and in our new S 100D, it's actually been a better solution - because I can listen to the audiobook in and away from the car, and always stay at the current position.

Would be nice if Tesla could add Audible as one of the media player options...

I guess I am the only one who does this but I listen to audio books — both Audible, Overdrive, and ripped CDs from the library — on a tiny Sandisk Clip Sport MP3 player. Since Tesla didn't include an auxiliary jack to plug it into, I use an FM transmitter to send it to the radio. I really don't want to fuss with my phone and bluetooth while driving since I never ever deal with phone calls or texting while driving for safety reasons. (I guess I am the only one left who doesn't use a phone while driving.) However, finding an empty radio channel for the transmitter can be a nuisance in some places.

My solution is kind of a kludgy workaround but since Tesla can't be bothered to include a 3.5mm aux jack in the sound system, like every other modern car in recent years, it was my solution. My audio books are on that MP3 player anyway because I use it for long walks, bike rides, and chores such as snow shoveling. As well as Tesla road trips.

iTunes works well.
Download from Apple.