TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Want to Rent/Borrow/Buy a Tesla to Roadster Power Adaptor for All EV Rally, BC 2 BC

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by Six, May 11, 2013.

1. Six

Six Member

I am considering participating in the All EV Rally, BC 2 BC (Canada 2 Mexico) June 2013.

If I manage to get plans in place to do so it would certainly be helpful to have a Tesla Model S to Roadster HPC adaptor.

My first choice would be to rent one from someone in the Seattle area. But I would need it from about June 28 until July 16th or so which is:

- long time
    - right in vacation season
    - overlaps with TesLive for people driving to that event

So I plan to reach out to Tesla and see what I can do from them. Based on back orders from others I am not sure I will be able to buy one in time but I will find out.

If I did buy one after the fact I would probably look into finding a location to let it be shared similar the one in Centralia WA at the Burgerville, would probably see if something like that was possible in Ellensburg WA.

If anyone has any ideas, leads, or sources at Tesla who might help, please let me know.

Thanks

2. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

#2 Puyallup Bill, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
    It looks like the adapters really are available at the Tesla Store. Shortly after the item appeared on the store web site, I tried for several days to find out if they were in fact in stock. Never could get an answer to such a simple question - typical of Tesla's poor communications skills.

Placed order May 6, received email yesterday, May 11, that it had been shipped via FedEx. That is really slow - five business days to ship, but I note the charge was on my credit card toot-sweet. Tax and shipping make it $734.08.

Sorry, it would not be convenient to lend it to you for the period you need it.

3. Six

Six Member

Thanks for the info. Good to see the order time appears to have dropped way down.

4. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

If you decide to buy the adapter, note that it should qualify for WA sales tax exemption. A forum member reminded me of that; now I have to see if I can get it back from Tesla. I have not had good luck communicating with Tesla.

Oh, and although they said it was shipped Saturday, it really was just shipped after noon today.

5. ChadS

ChadS Petroleum is for sissies

Yeah, the Tesla store removed tax when I bought a charging adapter two years ago. I referenced the WA codes:

WA bill 1481 (Reference Revised Code of Washington 82.29A.125, 82.08.816, and 82.12.816).

I asked them to take tax off of the online store for WA purchases of charging equipment, and they promised they would.

When I bought the HPC adapter with the Model S, there was no tax because it was bundled with the car purchase (and EVs are exempt from tax here too).

6. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

#6 v12 to 12v, May 13, 2013
    Last edited: May 13, 2013
    I was charged the tax for the first adapter that I bought. I inquired about the sales tax situation and I didn't get word back until a few days ago since my contact was out of town. They said that they would work on a refund and to watch for a check from HQ.

They didn't charge the sales tax for the second adapter that I purchased to replace the one that was put into service at Burgerville. The price on that one was $650. Apparently they were not certain about how to interpret the Sales Tax rules when it came to adapters at first.

7. Six

Six Member

Thanks for the reminder on the sales tax. I vaguely recalled reading about it in a previous thread and there is no way I would have remembered.

8. Six

Six Member

So Tesla Seattle Service Center has said the lawyers at corporate want to charge on sales tax for parts not delivered with the car. Do you by any chance have research you may have done to see if the law applies to parts not delivered with the car? I want to make sure they get it right. If you don't I'll see what I can find

9. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

You can start here: http://www.afdc.energy.gov/laws/law/WA/6532

10. Puyallup Bill

Puyallup Bill Member

Update.

My experience communicating with Tesla still "stinks". Three emails over a three week period concerning the sales tax to [email protected] resulted in zilch - no response, not even an acknowledgment of receipt.

But, almost by magic, a credit of $63.08 (the amount of the sales tax) was posted to my credit card a day ago. So, my emails were received and read, just no response. I guess all is well that ends well.

11. Six

Six Member

I was fortunate enough to pay no sales tax on mine, I am glad you got your refund

12. DouglasR

DouglasR Member

I was not charged sales tax for the adapter, but I was charged sales tax for the "Twin Charger with Installation." I fail to see a difference. Tony (the parts guy at the service center) said he checked with TM's lawyers and was told that the Twin Charger is exempt when delivered with the car, but not afterward.

The question seems to hinge on the statutory definition of "electric vehicle infrastructure." RCW 82.08.816(3)(c) defines "electric vehicle infrastructure" as follows:

"'Electric vehicle infrastructure' means structures, machinery, and equipment necessary and integral to support an electric vehicle, including battery charging stations, rapid charging stations, and battery exchange stations."

The Twin Charger is clearly "machinery and equipment necessary and integral to support an electric vehicle," just as the adapter is. I don't see anything in this definition precluding this machinery and equipment from being installed on board the vehicle (as opposed to being incorporated in a charging station), just as the adapter can be kept in your garage or in the trunk. In any event, I called the Department of Revenue. The representative I spoke to was doubtful that the Twin Charger would be exempt, but he encouraged me to file a ruling request. I did that on Friday, and I will post back when I get an answer.

13. v12 to 12v

v12 to 12v Active Member

Thanks for that update Bill. I was told that I would be sent a check. I had best re-check my statements.