Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to return new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was going to post the reasons why i am unhappy with the car, but since you have all been so nasty i won't bother. I'll only get attacked again I'm sure. What a horrible group of people some of you are. You really should be ashamed of the way you speak to people.

I was the very first person to reply to you and gave you an effective response. Please PM me about the issues you have and I'll be happy to address them since I just received my Model S as well.

Florida has a lemon law doesn't it but I doubt programming that doesn't appeal to the OP count? Not a consumer law expert but not sure how one can separate the how from the why especially on a $70k purchase.

I mentioned the 99.99% but updated my subsequent comment because I didn't realize the thread was only created yesterday.

I was going to post the reasons why i am unhappy with the car, but since you have all been so nasty i won't bother. I'll only get attacked again I'm sure. What a horrible group of people some of you are. You really should be ashamed of the way you speak to people.
Go ahead and lay out the issues with your car. There are people here who have had their cars for over 5 years at this point and might be able to help with whatever issues you are having with the car. The return will be tricky but maybe the issues are solvable.

So you don’t work for GM? Because I really want my temperature sensor fixed on my truck. I was hoping you’d help me :(

Go ahead and lay out the issues with your car. There are people here who have had their cars for over 5 years at this point and might be able to help with whatever issues you are having with the car. The return will be tricky but maybe the issues are solvable.
ok here are the list of problems that i have had, and please if you're just going to attack me again don't bother replying.

1) If i engage autopilot, even accidentally, over 85mph its shuts down autopilot for the entire duration of the journey. I have to pull over. get out of the car and shut it down completely then start it up again just to make it work again.
2) the voice on the nav is so quiet, that even on 11 i can hardly hear it if the music it turned up just a bit.
3) slacker radio is complete *sugar*. Every time i try to tell it to play a song, it plays a completely different song. it never gets it right.
4) i can't get the phone to sync music to the car, even if i could i feel that i shouldn't have to use my phone to play music, the car should have better options for music

for these reasons I'm unhappy with the car. i have a Hyundai genesis g80 as well and i find that car so much more user friendly.

ok here are the list of problems that i have had, and please if you're just going to attack me again don't bother replying.

1) If i engage autopilot, even accidentally, over 85mph its shuts down autopilot for the entire duration of the journey. I have to pull over. get out of the car and shut it down completely then start it up again just to make it work again.
2) the voice on the nav is so quiet, that even on 11 i can hardly hear it if the music it turned up just a bit.
3) slacker radio is complete *sugar*. Every time i try to tell it to play a song, it plays a completely different song. it never gets it right.
4) i can't get the phone to sync music to the car, even if i could i feel that i shouldn't have to use my phone to play music, the car should have better options for music

for these reasons I'm unhappy with the car. i have a Hyundai genesis g80 as well and i find that car so much more user friendly.

I wish I could help, but I am not qualified to speak of the pure ecstasy that is known as the Hyundai Genesis G80

Last edited:

Trying to help here... as a former IT guy:

1) This is not typical. Have you tried engaging Autopilot below 85 and then bumping up the speed above 85? I've engaged mine many times below and above 85. Sounds like a bug.
2) You should be able to turn the nav voice up while she is talking. Same left roller as the radio volume, but you have to catch it while she is talking or else you'll be adjusting the radio volume.
3) It is crap when it comes to requesting certain songs. Does OK with groups or singers, but does not play specific songs on request.
4) If you're on the radio screen, you should see "Phone" to the right of "Streaming". Press that, and you should be able to stream the music from your phone. Works fine for me. What type of phone do you have? I have an iPhone.

I hope this helps! Shana Tova!

Trying to help here... as a former IT guy:

1) This is not typical. Have you tried engaging Autopilot below 85 and then bumping up the speed above 85? I've engaged mine many times below and above 85. Sounds like a bug.
2) You should be able to turn the nav voice up while she is talking. Same left roller as the radio volume, but you have to catch it while she is talking or else you'll be adjusting the radio volume.
3) It is crap when it comes to requesting certain songs. Does OK with groups or singers, but does not play specific songs on request.
4) If you're on the radio screen, you should see "Phone" to the right of "Streaming". Press that, and you should be able to stream the music from your phone. Works fine for me. What type of phone do you have? I have an iPhone.

I hope this helps! Shana Tova!

Shana tova,

yes it works fine below 85 but above that it completely shuts down and puts a message on the screen saying its disabled for the entire journey.
I have turned the nav voice all the way up its just not loud at all and it only comes out of 1 speaker and doesn't lower the music when it speaks.

• Informative
Reactions: David29 and Ghosty

Others who have had their car for a lot longer than I do will be better able to address these issues. Since I just got my Model S three weeks ago, I've been cautiously using autopilot knowing it's still not up to par compared to what AP1 could do. Therefore...

For issue #1, there's no way I would ever feel comfortable turning on AP over 85 mph even if I could judging by its erratic behavior when it cannot read the lines on the road. The reaction time is lot smaller at that speed and I'm glad Tesla has decided to turn it off beyond that speed otherwise, it's an accident just waiting to happen. I know that's not what you want to hear and want your money's worth but I will gladly have Tesla take its time to work out the kinks and perfect AP before it turns it on in half baked state.

For issue #2, there's a volume button that comes up on navigation window on touchscreen that you can adjust and it is independent of the music volume. Not sure if that will resolve the issue.

For issue #3, I haven't tested audio prompts for Slacker all that much but I get the frustration and Tesla can work on integrating it better. This can be fixed with future software update though.

For issue #4, if you use bluetooth, you can successfully sync your music and it will automatically start playing the minute you enter the car which I really like. It would be amazing if Tesla were to integrate Apple Car Play or Android Auto but they don't want to give out access to their code, which is understandable for security reasons I guess. I'm still hopeful for Spotify integration since European Tesla owners have it already.

In summary, all 4 issues that you listed can be fixed with software update. I know that your Genesis is more user friendly but, you'll find that there's no better company that implements software and its user friendliness into a car than Tesla. And if there was a feature missing from your Genesis, it's not like Hyundai can add it in down the road like Tesla can. That's why, many owners are able to forgive its minor issues such as not having the best luxury interior and fit and finish quality in a Tesla since what they can bring to their cars in the future in terms of furthering autonomy and continue to improve their cars with firmware updates, no other car manufacturer will match that now or even in the near future.

I really hope you give it a second chance and stick with Model S a bit longer since there's always room to improve with any car but with Tesla, they have the ability to actually do that in your current car without you having to replace it for a new version to get the newest features.

Last edited:

1. This doesn't sound like the expected behavior - and certainly worth a phone call or a check with the local Service Center.
  2. Nav voice is controlled from the center console touchscreen. When the navigation system is in a route, you can change the volume by pressing on the top of the navigation turn list window - and either mute/unmute - or change the volume. If you can barely hear it, there could be a problem with one of the speakers (possibly the driver side speaker). With ours, setting the volume to 3 or 4 is usually more than enough to hear the nav voice. Plus, the music should be muted while the navigation voice is playing so even if the music is loud, it shouldn't matter.
  3. The "free" slacker gives you songs similar to your criteria, but not necessarily a specific song. You should be able to pay for a premium subscription, that will give you more control.
  4. More details are needed on this one. If you're trying to sync music using the USB cable - that isn't supported. For a USB connection, the car is only providing power to the phone - it isn't accessing the files stored on the phone. Instead, you need to set up a Bluetooth connection to your phone (which is also needed to place calls on the phone, or access your contacts and calendar). Once the BT connection has been made, then you must run a music app on your phone - which will play audio over the car speakers, when you've selected the phone as the media player input source. Of course, other cars have better smartphone integration - and Musk has previously indicated an intent to have some form of "screen mirroring" at some point - but we don't have it today.
While the above items are annoying, they shouldn't be showstoppers - and it would be difficult to build a case that the above issues, even when combined are sufficient to justify returning the car for a refund.

You might have a stronger case on items such as automatic wipers (promised, not available, and currently no promise of if/when we'll ever see that with AP 2.0 cars), AutoPilot 2 operating at AP1 levels (promised for December 2017, still not there yet, though getting closer), XM radio (missing station list, no category list, difficult to switch stations without the station slider removed in the 8.0 release a year ago), ... Though, it's likely Tesla will address these with software updates, so it would likely be difficult to make a case for returning the car.

OP, do you have any other concerns?

I agree that you should get rid of the car, but not for the reasons you say. If you're driving it more than 85 mph in Florida the accident you have is likely to be fatal for someone and the resulting headlines would blame Tesla's autopilot whether it's engaged or not. Enjoy the media player in your Hyundai.

Is this the kind of stuff Tesla will have to deal with as it sells to mainstream car buyers rather than people who buy it because it's an amazing EV?

Regarding slacker, that is the design of slacker. It works like Pandora and gives you a mix of songs that are like your song.

The paid version gives you much more flexibility. I believe song on demand, entire album, and some playlist support.

To try this, create a slacker account on the slacker web page. Then you go to slacker in the car and login to that account.

Edit to add -

Tesla comes with the plus tier. Note you can use thus on your iPhone, Android, etc. Tesla will give you the credentials.

The other tiers are listed here -

Slacker Radio Featured

The top tier has song and album on demand.

Last edited:
Autopilot shuts down if you exceed 90 mph. It's in the user manual. Not a secret, not a bug, not something that should cause you to take it to the service center because they can't fix something that is operating as it should.

Basically, if you want to drive fast, YOU have to be holding that wheel and pressing the accelerator. Tesla isn't going to do it for you.

I was unaware that the Honda Genesis did this better. I'd love to hear more about how autopilot works on that vehicle.

1. This doesn't sound like the expected behavior - and certainly worth a phone call or a check with the local Service Center.
  2. Nav voice is controlled from the center console touchscreen. When the navigation system is in a route, you can change the volume by pressing on the top of the navigation turn list window - and either mute/unmute - or change the volume. If you can barely hear it, there could be a problem with one of the speakers (possibly the driver side speaker). With ours, setting the volume to 3 or 4 is usually more than enough to hear the nav voice. Plus, the music should be muted while the navigation voice is playing so even if the music is loud, it shouldn't matter.
  3. The "free" slacker gives you songs similar to your criteria, but not necessarily a specific song. You should be able to pay for a premium subscription, that will give you more control.
  4. More details are needed on this one. If you're trying to sync music using the USB cable - that isn't supported. For a USB connection, the car is only providing power to the phone - it isn't accessing the files stored on the phone. Instead, you need to set up a Bluetooth connection to your phone (which is also needed to place calls on the phone, or access your contacts and calendar). Once the BT connection has been made, then you must run a music app on your phone - which will play audio over the car speakers, when you've selected the phone as the media player input source. Of course, other cars have better smartphone integration - and Musk has previously indicated an intent to have some form of "screen mirroring" at some point - but we don't have it today.
While the above items are annoying, they shouldn't be showstoppers - and it would be difficult to build a case that the above issues, even when combined are sufficient to justify returning the car for a refund.

You might have a stronger case on items such as automatic wipers (promised, not available, and currently no promise of if/when we'll ever see that with AP 2.0 cars), AutoPilot 2 operating at AP1 levels (promised for December 2017, still not there yet, though getting closer), XM radio (missing station list, no category list, difficult to switch stations without the station slider removed in the 8.0 release a year ago), ... Though, it's likely Tesla will address these with software updates, so it would likely be difficult to make a case for returning the car.

OP, do you have any other concerns?
thanks a lot for this advice - i will try the slacker radio premium account, however than is the smallest worry. The autopilot is a much bigger concern for me. I feel that they oversold me on what it can do, even notwithstanding the 85mph shutdown problem.

The nav is turned all the way up to 11. You can hardly hear it and it comes out of 1 speaker and doesn't turn down the volume on the stereo.