Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want to return new Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
thanks a lot for this advice - i will try the slacker radio premium account, however than is the smallest worry. The autopilot is a much bigger concern for me. I feel that they oversold me on what it can do, even notwithstanding the 85mph shutdown problem.

The nav is turned all the way up to 11. You can hardly hear it and it comes out of 1 speaker and doesn't turn down the volume on the stereo.
Curious if your speaker fader/balance is centered?

How loud do you listen to the radio?

I definitely can hear my navigation. I do think it comes out of one speaker. I’ll check tomorrow.

thanks a lot for this advice - i will try the slacker radio premium account, however than is the smallest worry. The autopilot is a much bigger concern for me. I feel that they oversold me on what it can do, even notwithstanding the 85mph shutdown problem.

The nav is turned all the way up to 11. You can hardly hear it and it comes out of 1 speaker and doesn't turn down the volume on the stereo.

Nav is designed to come out of the driver's side speaker, so that's working as expected. It should, however, quiet the music, speak, and then raise the music level again. I worked for years as a live sound engineer and am very familiar with loud -- max volume on the nav should be pretty loud. If the windows and sunroof are open, you'll have trouble hearing it still, but it'll be tough to beat that level of wind noise in any vehicle.

If the nav is really at 11 and still isn't that audible, there's a problem, and I'd probably contact Tesla about it.

Funny (related) story -- when I picked up my car, my nav was at volume 0 (or as low as it would go without muting) and I didn't know it. I put in my destination and assumed there was no voice navigation. But my stereo kept cutting out on the driver's side. I actually called support because I thought I might have a short in the driver's side door speaker because the audio kept dropping!

ok here are the list of problems that i have had, and please if you're just going to attack me again don't bother replying.

It can be a rough crowd here sometimes @robertjs. Try not to let it get you down.

1) If i engage autopilot, even accidentally, over 85mph its shuts down autopilot for the entire duration of the journey. I have to pull over. get out of the car and shut it down completely then start it up again just to make it work again.

I've seen an 85 MPH cap on service loaners I have had. Your particular issue sounds a little more unique, however a quick software adjustment should solve this.​

2) the voice on the nav is so quiet, that even on 11 i can hardly hear it if the music it turned up just a bit.

This is definitely adjustable. I muted my navigation volume because I prefer waze on my phone for daily commutes over Tesla's navigation.

This should help:
Navigation sound volume too low | Tesla

3) slacker radio is complete *sugar*. Every time i try to tell it to play a song, it plays a completely different song. it never gets it right.

Slacker could definitely be better. If after clearly annunciating, "play [song] by [artist]" still doesn't work, you can manually type your selection by pressing "search anything". If your voice command continues to fail, you will want Tesla to check it out.​

4) i can't get the phone to sync music to the car, even if i could i feel that i shouldn't have to use my phone to play music, the car should have better options for music

Bluetooth is the only method I use to sync my phone to the car for music and phone calls.​

There are a lot of threads on the TMC forum. Many addressing your concerns already exist, so try the search feature with some key words.

I agree that the car could be a little more user friendly. As time passes you will become more familiar with the nuances.

It can be a rough crowd here sometimes @robertjs. Try not to let it get you down.

1) If i engage autopilot, even accidentally, over 85mph its shuts down autopilot for the entire duration of the journey. I have to pull over. get out of the car and shut it down completely then start it up again just to make it work again.

I've seen an 85 MPH cap on service loaners I have had. Your particular issue sounds a little more unique, however a quick software adjustment should solve this.​

Autosteer shuts down if you exceed a top speed, until you stop and start the car again. What he describes is working properly. Check your manual. It's covered there.

Unless there was a return clause, you're not getting your money back. That's just not how car buying works.

Unless as Lloyd said, your car is a lemon, but that's a whole different story than "I don't like the car, I want my money back"
I rated this post "Helpful" rather than "Like" because I'm not passing judgement on how much I like it, but on how much I agree with it: I agree with what AMPd said.

Now, as to whether I agree that's how it should work depends. If an advertisement or a salesman lied, then it should be very easy to return the car, but I believe the lemon law does not usually practically cover that, even if it purports to (which I'm not sure it does).

Autosteer shuts down if you exceed a top speed, until you stop and start the car again. What he describes is working properly. Check your manual. It's covered there.
Oh! I remember an inferior experience trying to go 120MPH in my Tesla Model S 60D which could hardly hold 115MPH for 15 minutes, compared to my Mercedes E500, which would happily do cruise control at 130MPH for hours if the tires, brakes and suspension were in great condition and of proper rating. Those are pretty extreme speeds, though. Where the hell are you going over 85MPH with autoanything? Seems extreme, in a Tesla -- its autosteer isn't safe enough for those speeds. Going those speeds requires super specific conditions and super specific awareness and control; they are extremely extremely rare conditions, and those conditions are specially designed for purpose. Also, not anyone can go those speeds; they require acute mental, psychological, and physical abilities, and ample training and experience, and require specific state of mind. Many people, perhaps most, perhaps almost all people, never get that. The few people who do get that probably only have it for a small subset of their life, and it comes and goes with age and health; get exposed to some toxins in your environment (such as living in a poor area), and suddenly you aren't able to do it; get exposed to some bad mental state due to improper conditions (such as living in a poor area), and suddenly you aren't able to do it; get exposed to some bad physical state due to improper conditions (such as sitting around too much on a couch doing nothing), and suddenly you aren't able to do it. Also, just age. Or brain rot. You slow down.

For instance, I've been working on a canal (originally a stream bed) recently, and I think I'm being exposed to some naturally occurring or residual industrial waste toxins of some sort, because my whole body is telling me I'm not in peak state. I have to take everything slower than I used to and do it more specifically correctly, concentrating harder.

Last edited:
@DrivingRockies - What exactly do you disagree with? You think it's not in the manual?

Screen Shot 2017-09-26 at 9.52.43 PM.png

85? 90mph in AP?

You should be happy it is dissuading you from trying AP at that speeds. Unless you have a death wish or want to get a Darwin award.

Keep in mind there are US states where the speed limit is 80. Texas has an area with 85. Setting Autopilot to 90 isn't unreasonable when that's the flow of traffic and the entire state is flat with no traffic, and if the speed limit is 85, you're probably getting passed at 90 anyway. I can understand wanting to use it at higher speeds on straight, safe roads.

Not that Florida is one of those states mind you... but just saying, they exist. Brutal on your mileage though. I had to go through what I thought was going to be the last thunderstorm I'd see in my life while driving through the Salt Flats in Utah and ended up doing about 125ish for a short while and I swear I could just watch my battery percentage drop every couple seconds.

Ever since acquiring one of these overgrown golf carts (a term of endearment), I have little interest in speeding. It is rare that I'll travel, at least consistently over the course of a given leg, at a speed in excess of 5-10mph beyond the posted limit.

I have, however, noticed a much greater affinity for acceleration, both frequently and perhaps bordering upon often :). And I still got 53,000 miles out of the OEM Michelin Primacys that graced my first S. With tread to spare, dare I say.

I'd call that a win-win.

• Informative
Reactions: jeffro01 and gavine
Robert, don't let some of our comments get to you. A lot of it was in jest given the lack of reply. Don't take it personal. Interestingly, I've experienced two of the issues you experienced.

1. AP disabled after exceeding 90mph. I never took my hands off the steering wheel - irrespective of how slow or fast I was driving and forgot I had AP on when I hit the pedal to pass a car. That cap is a safety feature and a very good one.

2. I also, even until now, have an issue where I can't hear the navigation while music is playing. However, I take this as a challenge to figure out how to modify the sound.

3. Slacker - no comment. I don't use it.

4. Pairing your phone with Bluetooth is extremely easy. To simplify the sync - First: disable BT on your phone. Two: On the car panel initiate phone pairing by selecting options under phone icon. Three: When searching for connection, activate BT on your phone. Four: When your phone/car is detected, select the connection and allow permission on your phone. Five: Done. Your phone should be paired and you should be able to play your music without issue.

Last edited:
1) This is not typical. Have you tried engaging Autopilot below 85 and then bumping up the speed above 85? I've engaged mine many times below and above 85. Sounds like a bug.

Unfortunately it is typical, it is a feature in the later versions - the OP probably got the number just wrong, I think the limit is 90 mph.

For issue #1, there's no way I would ever feel comfortable turning on AP over 85 mph even if I could judging by its erratic behavior when it cannot read the lines on the road. The reaction time is lot smaller at that speed and I'm glad Tesla has decided to turn it off beyond that speed otherwise, it's an accident just waiting to happen. I know that's not what you want to hear and want your money's worth but I will gladly have Tesla take its time to work out the kinks and perfect AP before it turns it on in half baked state.

I guess the complaint is, turning AP on is not only impossible at over a certain mph, doing so will disable AP for the duration of the journey (until you park). There is critical thread of this on TMC: Autopilot punishment

I mean, Tesla could just disable AP at speeds exceeding certain limit, but allow resuming once you resume lower speeds. Right?

Reactions: internalaudit

This software nanny is a completely pointless feature and serves no useful purpose. I hope Tesla engineers remove it in future builds. A simple disabling of AP for even 1-2 minutes should suffice to "punish" a driver, if indeed that is the goal. If there is some other reason for this logic, I'd love for Tesla to provide it.

Forcing the driver to pull over somewhere out of frustration could have devastating consequences.