Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Want your delivery as soon as possible? Some tips...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had a number of conversations with the Tesla delivery crew in Costa Mesa. They were surprised I got my delivery in two weeks, but it is explainable for the following reasons:

Key recommendations:
1. Complete your online profile for registration, delivery location, payment method right away. Do it at time of order and do not delay
2. Complete your loan/lease application as soon as it hits your email/notification. Do not delay and do not fret about loan lock period. The end-date will actually help push your car through

Points #1 and #2 are critical and determine how you get queued up. They mentioned so many people will order, but then hold their registration or loan application or other inputs required. Get it done as soon as you get notification and respond right away to any requests.

I think quarter end push and being in SoCal helped. But good luck to all!

3. Move to California

I ordered 9/4 and completed profile, 3rd party financing, and insurance info same day. All guidance pointed to end of last week to today for delivery window. But I’m in WA and I ordered blue, which must have been delayed because they saw very few blues making it up to OR/CA and I think by yesterday they basically gave up on anywhere outside CA (if not all ready in transport).

• Funny
Reactions: kevin1
Los Angeles checking in, keep in mind they already moved, canceled my order twice already. I already had a delivery date and they canceled it.
pb4nsQB.jpg
mLAoRNm.jpg

Configuration and location also influence. From watching who is getting their cars, white and silver seem to be by far the most popular and therefore the easiest to get because Tesla is making more of them. You see hardly any red Model Ys.

My car was built, shipped, ordered and delivered all within three weeks early this summer. I completed steps 1 & 2 pretty quickly and noticed that updates (text messages and phone calls) from Tesla came very fast after completing or updating items that were required...so agree with your tips.

My order is currently set to pay with cash, because I was concerned about the credit auth expiring if delivery went beyond 9 weeks. It shows all steps completed. I planned to change to a Tesla provided loan when I got a VIN. I wonder if it would really make a difference to apply for the loan now instead of waiting.

My order is currently set to pay with cash, because I was concerned about the credit auth expiring if delivery went beyond 9 weeks. It shows all steps completed. I planned to change to a Tesla provided loan when I got a VIN. I wonder if it would really make a difference to apply for the loan now instead of waiting.

This is what my SA told me to do since I was worried about the loan expiring as well. Shouldn't be an issue

I also completed steps 1 and 2 in rapid fashion, got estimated delivery texts shortly after and a vin on 9/25. Now just in the queue waiting for a delivery notice. According to the last delivery text, today is the outside edge of the envelope so fingers crossed. I ordered on 9/9.

I was told by my SA to get all that filled out ASAP as it seems to speed things up. I think color is the number one item that affects delivery. Judging from my pickup center white is by far the most common. At least 50% of the cars there yesterday were white. Mine was the only blue. I saw two reds, and 1 black.

So if that follows white is likely 50% of production were the remaining colors are 10 to 20% each. So if you want fast get white.

I think the white interior also slows things down. So if you get blue or red with white you will be waiting a long time.

Agreed. Beyond profile completion and payment, color options and location are the next big drivers.

I completed my profile, paid my balance, and purchased insurance as soon as I was able. But because I chose Blue/White, I suspect I am a bit delayed.

Agreed. Beyond profile completion and payment, color options and location are the next big drivers.

I completed my profile, paid my balance, and purchased insurance as soon as I was able. But because I chose Blue/White, I suspect I am a bit delayed.
The other thing is performance vs. LR. I also think it is much more common for people to order the base level white, with black interior, and 19 inch wheels, the cheapest configuration. At least that is what I saw at the delivery center, white Y's with 19 inch wheels. I suspect LR is a bigger seller, but if someone is upgrading to performance (meaning spending the money) they are also more likely to pick a color upgrade in addition. Thus, the overall combination is even rarer, so a red/white/performance is probably the least produced combination.

Last edited:
The other thing is performance vs. LR. I also think it is much more common for people to order the base level white, with black interior, and 19 inch wheels, the cheapest configuration. At least that is what I saw at the delivery center, white Y's with 19 inch wheels. I suspect LR is a bigger seller, but if someone is upgrading to performance (meaning spending the money) they are also more likely to pick a color upgrade in addition. Thus, the overall combination is even rarer, so a red/white/performance is probably the least produced combination.

Yet the couple times I've asked my sales guy if there were any cars hanging around that didn't match his config he said yes, but all Performance models...

I think normally Tesla is pretty spot on with order/production... this quarter just seems to have caught them off guard a little or mismatched production with orders. I wonder if they left orders open too late into the quarter and then abandoned places away from California to start to fill orders closer and this made for a patch work of missing deliveries based on certain specs even though it's rumored they delivered more overall cars than ever...

IE if you ordered on the East coast toward the end of August being told you'll have it in four weeks, your color combo wasn't set to be in production until mid September and with transit time Tesla just decided to abandon your order and instead send that color combo to the midwest or west coast instead because they felt there was a higher chance of EOQ delivery.

I suspect mine was a car that was cancelled or where the deal fell through. It had a few faults but non were at the level people declining them at. Plus, the car had not been prepped. I saw it on the lot with shipping plastic and tape still on it. So I never got a factory update, just a text saying we matched you to a car. So, I was just the next on the list. Plus, it was made 8/19, I ordered 8/14. Finally, it shipped from MA.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that the biggest factor in getting a car quickly is ordering a common configuration close to the end of the quarter, and pay cash or have the loan fully qualified.

I took a Model Y test drive on September 26th, and was told there was a chance of getting one by Sept 30 if I could place a cash order that day and pick it up at a delivery center close to Fremont before the end of the quarter. Waiting would likely result in a November delivery date.

"Close to the end of the quarter" heavily depends on how far away from the factory you are. My guess is that the sales group were doing manual matching to optimize how many sales could close before 11:59PM Sept 30.

Ordered on 9/23/20 with a 5-9 week estimate. Completed all the steps on 9/23.

Yesterday, I reached out to the SA if they needed anything from me and if the 5-9 week window was still accurate. Tesla replied yes, but maybe sooner.

This morning, 10/2, a VIN 597XX, popped up on my account. It might help just reaching out to confirm that they don't need any more information.

MSM, 20", LR, Black interior, No FSD, Tow Hitch.

We'll see if the VIN sticks around.

Reactions: MYinBend
Ordered on 9/23/20 with a 5-9 week estimate. Completed all the steps on 9/23.

Yesterday, I reached out to the SA if they needed anything from me and if the 5-9 week window was still accurate. Tesla replied yes, but maybe sooner.

This morning, 10/2, a VIN 597XX, popped up on my account. It might help just reaching out to confirm that they don't need any more information.

MSM, 20", LR, Black interior, No FSD, Tow Hitch.

We'll see if the VIN sticks around.

what is the 10th letter on the VIN L or M?