Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wanted, 40A 14-50 home charger @ reasonable price

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good luck with the openevse. In case that doesn't work out for you, or anyone else is in the same boat: I'll be moving to dual HPWCs here in the next couple of weeks. At that time my JuiceBox 40 will be available. 40A, 14-50 plug, and is easily dismountable to take on the road if needed. They're $550 new but I'd part with it for significantly less since it's used.

I agree. The only problem is that it technically is a direct wire install and I already paid for a 14-50 socket install, so I wanted something that would be plug and play with that socket.
You can always put a cord on on the wall connector. If you don't like that idea, converting an outlet to a wired install is easy enough, use some flexible conduit and a new cover for the box that the conduit can mate to.

You can always put a cord on on the wall connector. If you don't like that idea, converting an outlet to a wired install is easy enough, use some flexible conduit and a new cover for the box that the conduit can mate to.

Yes, either of those are possibilities, but I am not sufficiently confident in my skills with high-voltage / high power wiring to do this myself. Also, at $500, the wall charger is about $100 more expensive than the OpenEVSE kit. While the wall charger can charge at 48A vs. the OpenEVSE kit that charges at 40A, neither the currently installed 50A breaker nor the 14-50 socket are rated for more than 40A continuous. Thus, the higher potential charge rate of the wall charger would require additional expenditures for installing a new 60A breaker and the associated wiring. Based on all this, the OpenEVSE kit seems like the simplest and most cost effective solution.

Yes, either of those are possibilities, but I am not sufficiently confident in my skills with high-voltage / high power wiring to do this myself. Also, at $500, the wall charger is about $100 more expensive than the OpenEVSE kit. While the wall charger can charge at 48A vs. the OpenEVSE kit that charges at 40A, neither the currently installed 50A breaker nor the 14-50 socket are rated for more than 40A continuous. Thus, the higher potential charge rate of the wall charger would require additional expenditures for installing a new 60A breaker and the associated wiring. Based on all this, the OpenEVSE kit seems like the simplest and most cost effective solution.
Don't get me wrong, I love the OpenEVSE and I'm sure you'll like it. I have one myself that I'm having on outlet put in for because my Model 3 is finally coming. I would note, though, that building the kit requires the same skill set as wiring the wall connector would.

Seems a bit odd that the Corded Mobile Connecter is almost twice the price of the Universal. 32 vs 40 amps doesn't double the cost to build it. And removing the "universal" should lower the price. I would think that the two chargers would be about the same price.
At $275, I'd buy the corded. But not at $520.

I agree. The only problem is that it technically is a direct wire install and I already paid for a 14-50 socket install, so I wanted something that would be plug and play with that socket.

In this the case, buy the Corded Mobile Connection. It is plug and play, charges at 40A and costs $520. It comes in and out of stock on a daily basis, so you will have to check frequently until it is available.

Seems a bit odd that the Corded Mobile Connecter is almost twice the price of the Universal. 32 vs 40 amps doesn't double the cost to build it. And removing the "universal" should lower the price. I would think that the two chargers would be about the same price.

It is probably a matter of volume. The UMC is included with every car so economy of scale works. Still, the CMC is one of the cheapest branded 40A EVSE.

Yeah, so I think the history here is that it is based off the old UMC platform which was more expensive. They came out with the new UMC Gen 2 and they never dropped the price on the CMC.

It serves a purpose. I am glad they keep it available. I wish they had the corded wall connector again as well.

I really really wish they had a 6-30 and a TT-30 adapter for the UMC Gen 2...

100 bucks more for a branded Tesla charger, with no adaptors used (like the EVSE) requires is a no brainer. It looks better and its a factory part

I really really wish they had a 6-30 and a TT-30 adapter for the UMC Gen 2...
TT-30 Adapter for Tesla Model S/X/3 Gen 2

NEMA_TT-30_Gen2_9713fd45-c9b0-49fd-bb93-f92742eab92d_1024x1024.jpg

As promised, I purchased a 40A OpenEVSE charger kit and I am now providing a brief initial review. It was on sale when I ordered it. The total cost, including free shipping, with a 14-50 plug was $407. I believe this is the least expensive 40A charger available other than the off-brand models from China. I ordered the kit Thursday last week and it arrived by US Postal Service on Tuesday this week.

It took me about 2 hours to assemble the kit. The instructions are not the best as in several cases they rely on photos that are not as clear as necessary (either printed out or on my monitor). Based on this, I found myself double and triple checking wiring which slowed things down quite a bit. In addition, one of the wires in the cable that goes to the car is not used, but the directions do not explicitly mention this. Rather, the other wires are all mentioned, but the unused wire is ignored by the instructions. I took quite a bit of time studying the instructions to ensure that I had not missed directions for this wire.

At first the unit did not work after I finished assembling it. I reviewed the FAQ at openevse.com and it suggested several possible issues, including reversed wires between the control module and the display module. That was the problem in my case. Once I connected the wires correctly, everything worked properly.

I like the web / wifi interface. It provides useful data and allows setting options like charge amperage easily. I also like charging at 40A versus 32A that the Tesla portable charger provides. Using the J1772 adaptor has not been a problem. My Model 3 Performance reported charging at a rate of 29 MPH with the Tesla charger. It now reports charging at a rate of 36 MPH with the OpenEVSE charger. The included charging cable is longer than the Tesla cable which is convenient as the Tesla cable barely reached my charge port. Also, despite carrying more current, the OpenEVSE cable is just a flexible and easy to maneuver as the Tesla cable.

At this point, I am highly satisfied with the OpenEVSE device. At full price and fully assembled, it may not be competitive with the Tesla Wall Charger since they are roughly equal in price, with the wall charger providing 48A. However, in kit form at about $400, I am very happy with the OpenEVSE. If I did not already have a 14-50 socket and associated breaker installed, I might have chosen the wall charger since I imagine installation would have been about the same price as installing the 14-50 socket and breaker. There is one additional benefit of the OpenEVSE charger. It is not proprietary and can charge any EV. Thus, if I purchase a non-Tesla EV in the future, I can still use this charger.

So, other than some frustrating assembly instructions, I give the OpenEVSE charger a full thumbs up.

Please feel free to ask questions as I am happy to share my thoughts and experiences in more detail if requested.

Using the J1772 adaptor has not been a problem

There is one additional benefit of the OpenEVSE charger. It is not proprietary and can charge any EV. Thus, if I purchase a non-Tesla EV in the future, I can still use this charger.

Do you keep the J1772 adaptor on the charger? I hesitate between the Wall Connector and the Flo G5 (or similar with a NEMA plug) for the non-Tesla support. Plus having a NEMA 14-50 socket would be an advantage for my landlord if I move out in a couple of years as it would just stay there ready for the next tenant (and for me, as I don't have to call someone to switch the Wall Connector for the socket then). But I'm not sure how convenient it is to use the J1772 all the time? Seams like something I wouldn't want to leave on the charger (outside and visible from the street) in case someone decide to steal it, or something I want to get in and out of the car all the time...

I have a like new condition ChargePoint 32A wall charger (40A at breaker) for sale... I just installed a Tesla Wall Charger, so am not using it anymore. Still have the box and it has performed flawlessly for a year.

Comes with a 14-50 plug and the longest charge cable (I think 25 ft)

PM me if interested. Am in the Bay Area